Monday, June 17, 2019

Me On A Monday - June 17th

Good Morning Everyone.

Saturday saw our two Ash trees receive another treatment against that nasty horrible terrible Emerald Ash Borer beetle.  The Arborist said he thought both trees looked good & still no signs of the beetle - yeah!  Money well spent.  This very wet spring has been a bonus to all the trees.


For our anniversary celebrations we attended an open house for a Thoroughbred Ex-race horse adoption centre.  It was a wonderful 3 hours & we both enjoyed ourselves.  Needles to say I fell in love with all of them, but there were three in particular that I really liked; Tom Joy (broken withers) She Goes West (22yrs) & one that I cannot spell or pronounce her name, but let's just call her lovely, she's on total stall rest to heal a bowed tendon.  Lovely is 17.1hh at 3 years of age. Hands are how horses are measured from the ground to the top of their withers; a hand is approximately 4".  Horses stop growing about age 5 years.   No I'm not getting a horse, but I am certainly dreaming.  More to see on my Take Three Thursday.

Our next SPSH Link In Will be Thursday August 1st with the last Link In on Monday September 30th.  

 
Summer arrives in this part of the world on Friday the 21st at 11:54am.  I shall be in my garden to greet her, unless the mosquitoes carry me off - these suckers (literally) are huge this year HUGE. 
"if you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"  Dalai Llama


 

12 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a racehorse adoption centre! Oh, and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the horses are in excellent shape. While not at this location, they have in a foster home a blind ex-race horse who knows his own paddock well. It seems the flat racing folks care even after the races are won or not. I wish it could be said that the Standardbreds (the little cart racing horses) were as well treated in their retirement.

      Delete
  2. Is your husband a horse lover as well? Why did I think you already owned a horse? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He likes horses because of me, he's not nervous around them but does not ride. I have owned my own horses 5 times but not in the last few years. I've been either part boarding or "catch" riding which means when my friends are away or on mat leave, I get to ride their horses. Currently I'm without any of those options :(

      Delete
  3. I love the Dalai Llama quote :)

    It's nice to hear about animals that are well-treated during and after their years of more directed activity. It sounds like an interesting outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dalai Llama is a wise man. It was a wonderful positive place to visit the horses. Many of the horses do go on to a second career with lots of success.

      Delete
  4. I hope you'll find a way to get back to riding. I can tell it means a lot to you! All this rain has certainly made the mosquito problem worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in a very active "horse" search right now. My last resort will be to sign up for riding lessons. I swear those mosquitoes have to register flight plans & have numbers on their wings - SO BIG.

      Delete
  5. So glad the trees are doing well & it sounds like a lovely anniversary outing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a witty quotation by the Dalai Lama! I've never seen this treatment before - looks like they are being vaccinated! Hoping it's effective and your trees continue to give you pleasure rather than angst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed. This vaccination is just to buy time in saving the Ash trees of North America until they find a cure for beetle.

      Delete