Monday, February 10, 2020

Me On A Monday - February 10th


Currently ReadingThe Starless Sea.  Have you ever read a book that you totally devour? For me this book was devouring me.  I really enjoyed this book almost to the half way mark.  Then, it was starting to be like what they warned about us in school, about taking drugs, bad drugs, really bad drugs.  I did finish the book but, it never really went anywhere & the characters just started to be flat & purposeless.  I was SO disappointed because it had a great start.  I am now 3/4 of the way through The Poppy Wife, which has been a very good & even read.

Currently Avoided: the Oscars, not one iota of interest.

Currently Watched: on the movie network, a movie that did not last long at the movie theatres, Last Christmas.  Mr Man & I both liked & said we will buy to add to our ever growing collection of Christmas movies.  It's a really lovely story & I got teary.   I won't say too much because I don't want to give away the plot (which by the way I knew very early on but still delighted me).
Source: Internet
Currently Pet Sitting:  A lady from the barn I rode at, asked me to cat sit her cats for 12 days.  Both the cats are really old & so taking them to a boarding facility would be too much stress.  Her house is in the country & not a lot of neighbours around, so really quiet.  After feeding the precious fur babies, I am using the quiet time there to study.  Win Win.


"In ancient times, cats were worshiped as Gods, they have never forgotten that"
 
 



20 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Last Christmas too, I'm not sure why it got such bad press.
    Enjoy your peaceful cat-sitting, I'm sure they enjoy your company every bit as much as you are enjoying the peaceful solitude for your studying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. It snowed rather a lot over night, so there's a blanket of quiet-tude this morning.

      Delete
  2. That's very kind of you to pet sit for her. It's not always easy to find someone to look after your animals while you are gone. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends have suggested I start a cat sitting service, but it's not for me. It's quite stressful looking after someone else's babies & cats hate change (as you know).

      Delete
  3. The Starless Sea is on my list of books to read. I loved her first one, The Night Circus, but noticed that this one seems to have mixed reviews. I'm waiting for it to become available for loan from the Library - I am about 97 on the list, so it'll be a long wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read yet The Night Circus which I have requested. I did not read the reviews for The Starless Sea until after I finished & I would have to say I agree with many of them.

      Delete
  4. TBC and I went to see Last Christmas and I cried ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a tender story - Emma Thompson was delightful as the Mum. We laughed out loud at the end with the Mum naming the type of pudding ...

      Delete
  5. I agree with you about the Oscars. I used to care. Not anymore. It sounds you've turned pet-sitting into a country retreat. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the Oscars will return to a host format. I'm enjoying this cat sitting time once I get inside, we have had a few days of snow & their snow ploughing service is not as prompt as would be helpful to me. Once I had to park at the road & walk in.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure what they'd have to do to win back Oscar popularity. That _is_ out in the country if the roads take that long to clear. I didn't use to understand why rural schools closed for weather when our city schools never did, and then someone explained to me about rural roads.

      Delete
    3. often the homes just outside of the city or even our little village will claim in their for sale write ups "bus route so you can be sure of snow clearing promptly". It makes me laugh especially right now as the schools have been closed for teacher strikes on & off for weeks - so the snow clearing is taking a break from getting those roads cleared first.

      Delete
  6. The cat-sitting gig sounds perfect for getting stuff done! And I agree that boarding older kitties is way too stressful on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To change things up the other evening, I took some journal cards over to write up for my scrapbook & OLW album. My friend's kitties have such a routine I doubt any boarding facility would cater to (col).

      Delete
  7. I'd not heard of Last Christmas, but I love Emma Thompson, so I think I'll try to find it! I had not one iota of interest in the Oscars either, but I thought the Best Picture winner was fascinating, and now I want to see that movie as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, now I want to see Parasite but I think because it has sub titles it will take a lot to convince Mr Man ... Emma Thompson always brings a certain charm to her characters.

      Delete
  8. Love your cat quote :). What a kind neighbour you are and I am sure she must appreciate it. Brr, that snow looks cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alexa the cold is what gets to me the most about winter. I like how the snow forms designs & patterns.

      Delete
  9. It's so disappointed to get all involved in a book & then have a flat ending! ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so disappointed in Starless Sea as I had really liked the beginning. Lately if a book doesn't grab me by page 100 I'm no longer afraid to put the book down & find something else. So much to read, so little time!

      Delete