Monday, May 25, 2020

Me On Monday - May 25th

Good Morning my friends.  I hope those that are celebrating a long weekend are enjoying themselves, safely, not in crowds, keeping 6 feet apart & wearing a mask if outside of your home.  Here endeth the lesson.

Currently Thankful: that Mother Nature gave us some really beautiful days over the weekend, I certainly needed to be outside in nature's balm. Sunday the temperatures rose to +29 with a humidex of +33
Currently Awaiting: the day & time to pick up my garden annual order from our local greenhouses.  She is assigning very strict guidelines & times so that there is only one vehicle on her farm,  picking up at a time.  Of course we do not normally plant out annuals or bedding plants until after May 24th when the risk of frost and/or snow is less.  My pick up day is Tuesday May 26 at 11:15am.  I decided to order all my annuals from here, no sense running around to other locations since we are trying to maintain minimal outside contact.  I have also planned on fewer pots as I will be busy with the perennial side of the garden this year, plus the expense of annuals is a little higher than previous years.

Currently Reading Real Books:  our library opened last Thursday for curbside pick ups of books previously put on hold before the lockdown of March 12th.  I picked up 3 books & 1 magazine. I had a pick up time of 11:30 on Friday; you arrive, stand at the pick up pylon, one of the ladies comes out, in gown, face mask & shield, gloves, puts the books down, returns to building, then you pick up & go.   

I chuckled about my magazine, which is the spring issue of Creative Scrapbooker, because the summer issue is now available. That is a statement about lockdown if ever there was one.  No matter, ideas are seasonless or is that timeless ...

The first book I am reading is a recommendation from Ruth, Wolf Hall, book 1 of a trilogyNext up is Middlemarch. 

Currently Pleased:  that the farmer is going to plant the field behind us.  He was out late afternoon on Sunday spraying to kill off any of last year's corn. Once he started that, we had to go inside & shut all the windows.   He will be planting soy this year.
 Currently Preparing:  the final selections for this year's Summer Photo Scavenger Hunt.  I think the list will challenge all of us to think outside of the box.  While many areas are lifting lock down restrictions, we still need to be mindful that not all of us will be rushing back to life as it once was.  I think the list will allow us to participate with things at home, close to home & for those venturing further afield.  I will be posting the list this Wednesday as we begin SPSH 2020 Monday June 1st!


Towards the end of last week, it was a really difficult time for my family as we experienced a very unexpected loss of a family member & within hours of that, we received news of another family member seriously ill & not likely to live much longer.  Then to finish the week, another family member had emergency open heart surgery.  None of these people were/are old, none of them had been previously ill.  And because of the current pandemic situation, we were/are not allowed in person goodbyes, not allowed to hold a hand to ease the fear & because of lock down restrictions, not allowed to gather to mourn or comfort each other. 


24 comments:

  1. Yes, it's a holiday here too - not that it makes a difference in some ways of course! Glad that you are now able to get books and that there will be some plants for your pots. Here too, we traditionally plant annuals on or after today - some risk it sooner but Dad learned his lesson on that a some years ago, when he lost a lot of plants thanks to a late frost.

    I am so sorry to read your last paragraph. Condolences for the one lost, the one nearing the end and all the best to the recovery of the heart patient. It is one of the saddest cruelties of the current situation that the funerals we would like can not take place. Wishing you all strength in your "together-apart" mourning, and I hope that when the time comes, your memorials will bring the comfort you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had our holiday weekend last week but all the days are melting into one long weekend, over & over. I have planted out once earlier than the 24th & I spent several days protecting the plants over night - too much work, now I just wait. For the cousin lost, her celebration of life will be in July but we won't be able to attend as it is on the west coast.

      Delete
  2. Oh no, I am sorry you had so much bad news at the end of the week. I am sorry for your loss and worry. Consider yourself hugged.

    On a happier note, you'll soon be surrounding with new growth and a reminder that life goes on. It simply must, and that should bring some small measure of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was too much all cluster into 2 days, it did over whelm me & I spent a good deal of time in a ball of grief. Life does go on, which sometimes is what's painful about loosing loved ones, you just want the world to stop for a moment. I hope that the annuals provide some instant colour & joy.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It must be difficult not to be able to hug other loved ones and grieve together. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. It has been a few rough days, but as we all know, life marches on. I take comfort in that I knew my cousin & she lived a very full active life in her short years, she probably lived more than some that get 50, 60 or 70 years.

      Delete
  4. What a horrible end to the week, bad enough in normal times, but to not be able to physically comfort one another or join together in memorial must be especially hard. What a dreadful shock.
    It is nice that there are signs of new life around you at this time, and it is so lovely to be able to spend so much time outdoors around our own homes. I am so looking forward to that photo list being published next week - we will all have to put our thinking caps on this year to find the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is new life exploding all around us - we have had record high temperatures so all the spring flowers have come out in full bloom (& some gone already because it was too hot - +33). Look for the SPSH list this Wednesday.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear of your family concerns. Death is never easy. I hope things go as smoothly and peacefully as possible for you.
    Our library has a similar process. I need to get a book reservation going.
    I enjoyed Middlemarch. In fact it was one of the few books I read more than one time. I enjoy historical novels and should try to find more of this caliber. The author inspires me to be me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know that death is part of life, but when it sneaks in, well I guess one can never be prepared for that. I take great comfort in knowing she had a full & loved life.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry to hear of all the bad news - and made more difficult because you can't be together to share in your worry and grief.
    I haven't bought a single plant yet and I will be cutting back this year as well. I'm pretty sure it will be soy beans planted around our home, too. It always rotates amongst soy beans, corn, and wheat. I prefer corn or wheat, but that's how it goes. It's going to be a scorcher again, today. Enjoy! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn. Our farmer does the same rotation. I notice different pests with each different crop - soy seems to bring about more garter snakes!! The corn use to bring the raccoons, but the coyotes have taken care of them. Wheat brings so many geese after harvest. We got up to +34 & then humidity add another 6 - too much too soon.

      Delete
  7. We're getting good weather for the weekend but are staying home. The annuals will give you a great color addition :) Middlemarch! One of my all-time favorites :) I hope you enjoy it.

    I am so sorry to hear of the losses y'all have suffered. It's hard enough at the best of times, but the way things are now makes it so much harder :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may switch to Middlemarch. My head & heart just cannot get into the details of Wolf Hall just yet. It has been a few crappy days so thank you for your kind words. My grief is coming in waves & moments.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. We've now had 2 deaths in the family (neither due to Covid-19) and, as you've said, it's been hard not being able to comfort people in person.
    I'm sending you a virtual hug and the hope that you allow yourself time to grieve. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. I am also sending a virtual hug your way for your family losses. This virus infects so many parts of our lives. For me the grief is like waves, ebb & flow, one moment I'm sorrowful, the next I'm moving about my day as normal, which maybe is a gift.

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear your sad news, Mary-Lou. Sending healing {{hugs}} your way xx

    I read Wolf Hall some time ago and really enjoyed it, although I found it hard going at first and the conversation required a lot if concentration to keep a track of who said what. I loved the detail of the period though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I've put Wolf Hall as daytime reading as you said the conversations require concentration. I too am a fan of this time.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I am so sorry for your losses. At any time, this would be devastating, but now it is so much harder. Keeping busy has always helped me. Getting your plants will probably be a bit uplifting as well. I spent a long afternoon getting the flowers in my cutting garden, and Tracy has been busy working on the landscape gardens. It's just so nice to finally be out, and see green trees and lovely flowers. Today, however, is like mid-summer--90°---too hot to even be on the shaded patio. Nothing like moving from winter right into summer! But I'm not complaining. I'd rather have the heat than the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. Being outside has/is a balm to my feelings. There's been so much loss of life, it feels heavy in the humanity connection. It was way too humid yesterday to do anything outside other than to water my new annuals & feed the chipmunks. I've suggested we put the hammock up. I use to like a lazy afternoon nap outside.

      Delete
  11. Oh, I'm so sorry about your loss & the illnesses & especially not being able to hold hands & give hugs & all the things that bring comfort to families during this time! Sending you a virtual hug {{{{{{{{hug}}}}}}

    Looking forward to this year's SPSH list & the challenge of finding items in these times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa thanks for that hug. I do hope you & Robbie like the list & I look forward to seeing what you find (especially in Robbie's collectables!)

      Delete
  12. My deepest sympathies on the loss of your cousin and I'm very sorry, too, to hear that another member of the family is nearing the end and yet another had to have emergency surgery (but, hopefully, recovering well). It's probably even harder because you can't be with the family in person to share the grief and anxiety, but, I hope you can find a measure of comfort in knowing that all of us are supporting you, virtually.

    Your white irises are beautiful!

    I'm looking forward to the SPSH. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. Our heart surgery patient is amazingly recovering very quickly (age is on his side as being a good healing, it's the bad genetics that aren't on his side).

      I'm hopeful you join in to the SPSH.

      Delete