Sunday, November 22, 2015

My Favourites of Christmas


Attempts At Pinterest Christmas Crafting


I am answering Ruth's questions & moving on  Sian's suggestion of a blog post about What Are The Ten Things You Like / Dislike  About Christmas. Mine are not in any particular order of importance.

Christmas Trees for me are a large part of Christmas.  It takes me days to complete the decorating of the tree(s).  We (usually) put up two trees.  One tree is in the doorway (blocks access) of our dining room & living room so each side gets a theme; living room side is the angels & special ornaments, softer in colour; dining room side is a real mix & match of the vibrant ornaments.    The second tree is put up in our family room, which we affectionately call the Hunt Room because of all the horse inspired decorating.  This tree has nothing but horse ornaments on it, some of which I have made.  I buy a new ornament every year, specific to something that has happened during the year.  This year I bought a white ladies ice skate with holly.  Christmas memory is receiving a pair of white ice skates one year - so much around this memory.

Our 2012 Living Room Side Christmas Tree

Music & Movies:  I like Christmas carols, Come All Ye Faithful is my most favourite.  I have NO singing voice so I never sing out loud but I do know all the words to about 5 Christmas carols, although Mr Man will argue that point.  Most years there is a new Christmas album/CD added, Lady Antebellum's is on this year's list as is Jan Arden's Christmas CD.  Michael Bublé - Christmas CD is a favourite & there are a couple of Justin Beiber's that aren't too bad.  The Piano Guys, Enya; Mannheim Steam Roller, Celine Dion, all get top marks. I have about 7 Christmas movies I watch every year; Miracle on 34th Street; Christmas Vacation; Scrooged; The Santa Claus; Arthur Christmas; Black Adder; Polar Express;  A Christmas Carol (Alastair Sim); It's A Wonderful Life (although I don't think George had such a wonderful life); The Bishop's Wife






 Baking:  I make my Christmas Cake on Stir Up Sunday.  Not for any particular reason other than it makes me feel close to my GrandMother & Mother who because of Anglican church connections always made the Christmas Pudding & Christmas Cake on this Sunday.  I try to do as much of the special treats this Sunday & pack away in the freezer.  Last year because of just starting on Weight Watchers, I did not do any baking other than one Christmas cake, which went to my riding coach as I give him one every year & yes he even asks for it.  I like my own cooking & baking & if I couldn't have well I wasn't baking.  My traditional two cakes are; Light Orange Christmas Cake, it has Grand Marnier in it.  My White Christmas Cake has Amaretto & Brandy in it.

Canadian Living Christmas Cookbook


Kindness & Generosity : I like the particular kindness that seems to seep into everyone's being. A softness of attitude.  I think right now the world could really use a huge dose of Christmas Kindness. People smile & say hello more often, hold doors, start up chit chatty conversations easily while waiting in line for this or that purchase. Some people are more likely to open the wallet during the holiday season.  The kettles are full of loose change, the Toy Mountain Tree is surrounded by gifts for those in need.  I get very emotional & teary at this time of year with all the tales of unexpected kindness & the miracles of generosity.


Santa Claus/Father Christmas:  I like the idea of miracles & I so desperately believe.

One In My Santa Collection



December Daily / Journal Your Christmas:  I have been recording each Christmas for several years now, it was only about 3 years ago I joined the Club of December Daily - I have a Pinterest board devoted to just December Daily.  While I have never bought the official kits I certainly have a huge stash of Christmas scrapping stuff.  It was through Ali Edwards December Daily link ins that I have found most of the blogs that I currently read & follow.  Daily December is a gift in so many ways.
December Daily 2013 Title Page


I like The Christmas Story of baby Jesus.  I like the miracle of Mary giving birth to Jesus, I like that Joseph did not turn Mary away because she was pregnant, I like that the Inn Keeper gave space in the stable, I like that the animals were the first to greet baby Jesus. I like that the shepherds in spite of fear, over came that fear to give tribute.  I like that the Wise Men followed their intuition & came bearing gifts.  I like the idea of miracles.I like that the Christmas Star shines for all.



Santa with Baby Jesus - I made
 Christmas Colours:  that you can wear red & green together & thought to be quite fashionable. I like ugly Christmas sweaters, I like Christmas Eve jimjams.


From Internet - I Would So Wear This


Sweet Treats.  There are certain treats that appear at Christmas & I do try to limit the number I allow myself.  But Tim Hortons chocolate candy cane donuts are my favourite with the gingerbread donut being a close second.
Tim Hortons Chocolate Candy Cane & Gingerbread donuts

Christmas Stockings:  it is a great place to house all the little nothings that can be so much fun, little games, candy, nail files, puzzles.  My fur children always have their own stockings & we hang stockings on all the stall doors at the barn, although because these stalls have gossip gates on them allowing the horses to hang their heads out, we don't fill the stockings.
Fur Girls Stocking In The Hunt Room

There are are only two things that I really don't like about Christmas & they are both things that I need to work on to get over.

I don't like that everyone assumes or pushes that the holidays are ONLY about families & children.  Christmas is something for everyone, even those that don't have children or don't have family.  The star did not just shine on those with families ... who knows maybe those shepherds didn't have family or maybe the wisemen were married but without children.  Christmas is for EVERYONE.  Also not everyone has happy memories about Christmas, maybe people have a mixed bag about the "good times" at Christmas.  Maybe there are folks out there that really wanted the Norman Rockwell Christmas but got the Norman Bates Christmas.   And the other thing I don't like about Christmas is the "get" or "getting"  what did you get for Christmas ... I often hear I want I want I want & I don't think it has to be that you weren't a good girl or boy not to get, but that yes Christmas miracles happen (thankfully) but maybe it can be about building those happy memories, the giving & sharing, the being, the including ... anyway I'm off the pulpit now.


What are your favourites about Christmas or maybe the things that aren't your favourite about Christmas?





13 comments:

  1. I'll put my answers in a post but I'll wait until it's December for that (family rule!!)

    I've enjoyed reading your answers and we share a lot of the same likes and dislikes. As a single person without kids, I too find it hard that so many (including family) seem to think that it is only for those with children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are just about to stir up our Christmas pudding here. And there are clamours for that to be followed by a Christmas DVD. We'll see..

    My DH and I have always had fun celebrating, long before our children were born. The first year we were married we cut decorations out of a catalogue because we couldn't afford to buy any. But we still enjoyed it. It's for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe that you would make Christmas magical. Well must run, Grinch cookies are baking & I just may watch that DVD.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for joining in! No Stir-up Sunday here, because The Brainy One is the only one who likes Christmas pudding/cake. I am thinking about ordering our tree early next week, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Ruth, I like just about anything to do with Christmas. Oh having a real tree would be lovely, both mine are fake but I am hopeful that one year I'll convince Mr Man a real one would be lovely.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post. Things to nod at, things to think about. I'll read this more than once.
    Never heard of either of those Christmas cake recipes but I'm sure they're delicious - lucky instructor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Ella. I can think of several other things I like about Christmas, but if I put everything, it would be the world's longest blog post. I can send along recipes if you'd like. I often mention to my instructor he's lucky to have me as a student, some lessons I am sure he'd agree with me (lol).

      Delete
  5. Super post - I shall use this to inspire one of my own later this week. I do think Christmas must make some people feel lonely - to me Christmas is about family but family takes many different shapes and forms.... and doesn't have to be relatives. We are all part of the Lord's family.
    I left a comment on another blog about one of my most cherished Christmases when my mum made PJ's, clothes and dolls clothes for me and my sister. They were some of the best presents ever because she had made them for us. Turns out Mum didn't have enough money to buy us much that year and it had made her sad that we had to 'make do' with the home made stuff. It made me cry when I found this out because, as I said, these were such special gifts. It isn't about how much money but how much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise that's a lovely story - thank you for sharing with me. I think parents want all the Christmas dreams to come true, even us GodMothers/Aunties try real hard to help with the dreams manifested. Love IS the gift, maybe that's the Christmas miracle that we remember that.

      Delete
  6. So glad I popped over...I really enjoyed your post and agree wholeheartedly with that last paragraph....Christmas really IS for everyone xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That will teach me to be so far behind! Oh the Alistair Sim version is the only version we will watch. Ok I'm Anglican but I have never heard of Stir Up Sunday.

    ReplyDelete