Monday, April 04, 2016

Memorandum Monday - April 4th

Linking in with Sian & the other Monday memo makers at: From High In The Sky

New from the patio this week;  I got a moment on the patio in the newly arrived spring with a mug of hot tea to survey all the winter damage & started dreaming about my spring gardening adventures. 

Look who came to visit & stock up on peanuts while I was out there. I  also offer black sunflower seeds to supplement the diet of Blue Jays & Chipmunks.  Chippy's appearances have been short lived as we have had a return to bitter chill & snow!


Thanks Lady - I am so hungry


I have a new disappointment in the garden; none of the snow drops bloomed & there is no sign of them.  Do snow drops need a year after planting to mature in the ground? 

My new 2016 gardening thought is Hellebore of which I am planning to plant, although I know it will be too late to have bloom this year.  I have seen a crimson shade that I really like.  No idea yet where I will plant, I need to research to find out what they like as a home.  The lady who I cat sit for has a huge clump in her garden.  I took this photo last spring when I was cat sitting.
Cat Lady's Garden - pink Hellebore 2015


I have started the 4th book in the Morland Dynasty series, the Oak Apple.  I think after this read, I will give this new to me series, a rest for a few weeks, plus I was only able to get a few old paperback copies in the series.

Lots of watching of the World Figure Skating Championships, which is not new as I watch every year, but new favourites; Canada's Champion Pair Team, Meagan Duhamel & Eric Radford.
 
Photo From Getty Images M. Meyers


A renewal of the winter is too long blues.  I can tell when I am feeling all hormonal & running on low because I cry easily & the latest tears have been shed over a hockey commercial!  I do not even like hockey, (gasp, a Canadian not liking hockey!),  but there you have it, the winter blues.

Still Boots; More Snow
 
"Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance.”  Yoko Ono

I hope everyone has a cheerful week ahead.  Here's to hoping that all comments & reviews are received.  I am looking forward to a  return to a more cheerful state.


26 comments:

  1. How lovely to have Chipmunks visit your garden! I do hope that Spring arrives with you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. We seem to go from bitter cold & snow to heat waves, it is the Canadian way. (LOL).

      Delete
  2. We have hellebores in our garden and they are very generous plants to have, they quickly multiply and are easy to divide! I love them.
    Oh you must be so fed up with the snow by now - let's hope that next week we learn that Spring has finally arrived where you are and you've had a snow free week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellebores seem to have a lot of fans - I am encouraged.

      Delete
  3. lovely to have a moment on the patio and a chipmunk visitor - I do think the end of winter is the worst as it seems to go on for ever - hope you find some blue sky in your week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March & November are usually difficult months for me weather wise, both dreary BUT at least with March gone it means we are coming OUT of winter (yeah).

      Delete
  4. I hope you have more luck with hellebores than I do - I don't seem to be able to grow them in this garden but I haven't worked out why yet.

    How lovely to have a chipmunk visiting your garden - we need lots of photos of him/her please.

    Hope the warmer weather is soon with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reading up on hellebores & I think I have a spot similar to the growing conditions of my cat lady's hellebores. Lots of photos will be coming once the snow goes & he comes out of his hidey hole again.

      Delete
  5. How exciting to see chipmunks in your garden. I can imagine your disappointment. We had some Spring sunshine and a swift return to rain. It's so miserable here today. Fingers crossed for brighter skies for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so looking forward to my snow drops - I though since it was special how I came to have the bulbs would have meant an abundance of flowers. Yes, I raise my mug of tea to cheers for sunshine for both of us.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for chippy pic - always room for one of those! Yeah, weaather... I've been calling found to get someone to replace my fence and everyone's so busy with all the stormy weather we've had. Hope things start to look up for you smartish.
    I have hellebores, green ones. Self-seeder from my Dad who originally got from my Gran! I'm not a massive fan of them but I like that it came from her.
    Saw that the skating was on and now wish I'd watched it.
    How's this for a disjointed comment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there is going to be lots more photos of Chippy. Green Hellebores, interesting, must look for. A new fence - photos of before & after needed.

      Delete
  7. My hellebore has done nothing this year which is very unusual...and I love your chipmunk! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular chipmunk is a survivour from last year which I know because he came when I made a call & rattle of the peanut dish.

      Delete
  8. My hellebore has done nothing this year which is very unusual...and I love your chipmunk! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute little chipmunk. Are they considered a nuisance or liked? My mum grows a lot of hellebores very successfully. My husband likes growing them too and is getting quite a collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chipmunks are so cute & most people think a nuisance, they dig & chew quite a lot & that includes bulbs & flower buds. Thankfully most of ours nest in the farmer's boulder fence. Having just a few is manageable. They are also preyed upon by roaming neighbourhood cats :(

      Delete
  10. I am sending you a cyber bucket load of sunshine.... we have an abundance here at the moment and it looks as though you could use some. I did love seeing the pic of the chipmunk...they are so cute..and always remind me of cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our hellebores were blooming before we left for Chicago. Since we've returned, they've been buried under 4 inches of snow! We're not fans of chipmunks here. We once had so many of them that our yard was full of chippy holes---a real nuisance, I'm sorry to say. Recently the population has been more manageable, and I do admit they are cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last summer we had quite a rise in chipmunk population, I think we are lucky that most "nest" in the rock piles in the field & only visit with us. Oh yes they are pesky!

      Delete
  12. Hoping you have a cheerful week ahead too. There's no doubt that a bit of sunshine can help with that, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's coming your way very soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sian. I went for an outside walk yesterday afternoon in the sunshine but oh my it was cold.

      Delete
  13. I adore hellebores and have a few in the garden but they don't take well in very soggy areas, which sadly means I have to have them at the back of the garden.

    What a lovely little visitor you've had, how lucky xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info about hellebores. I have found a local nursery that sells several varieties of colours, now for the snow to stop falling.

      Delete
  14. Oh goodness, a renewal of winter would bum me out, too. Hope you've had some sunshine this weekend!

    ReplyDelete