Thursday, January 04, 2018

Take Three Thursday - Hoar Frost

In an effort to notice more of the ordinary in my life, I have decided to share what I have noticed this week in Take Three Thursday.   The idea is to take photos that are linked some how; by theme, by colour, by date, by moment,  by points of view. There is no formal link in but please feel free to join in. What have you noticed this week? 

My threesome this week are from a recent Hoar Frost.  It makes the most interesting patterns on things & gives everything a ethereal affect.  Reminds me of a scene from the movie, The Witch, Lion & Wardrobe. 
Bare Maple Branch

The Bell At Our Garden Gate

Further Down The Garden Bell

Hoar frost (refers to white ice crystals, deposited on the ground or loosely attached to exposed objects such as wires or leaves. They form on cold, clear nights when conditions are such that heat radiates out to the open sky faster than it can be replaced from nearby sources such as wind or warm objects. Under suitable circumstances, objects cool to below the frost point. of the surrounding air, well below the freezing point of water. The name hoar comes from an Old English adjective that means "showing signs of old age".

In this context it refers to the frost that makes trees and bushes look like white hair, which is exactly what the horse in the garden gate bell looks like. In the horse world there is great debate going on whether "one" should trim the muzzle hairs of a horse.  The show ring has always been about looks rather than practicality or what nature intended. 

9 comments:

  1. I love the frost on the maple branch - a fantastic photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sometimes lighting & subject just get together in a perfect way.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is the second time this morning I’ve read about hoar frost ... I admit that I’m hoping not to see much of it here this year! 😀. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. Hoar Frost is pretty & doesn't usually last too long so that's why I try to get as many photos as possible.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! It reminds me of Lion/Witch/Wardrobe, too. It brings to mind the scene in the book when Lucy sees the lamp post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I took lots more photos of the Hoar Frost, one of our house which looks like a Christmas Card, if I added the dreaded glitter it would rival Halmark! (col).

      Delete
  4. These are all great! I don't often see hoar frost. I wonder if it's because I'm not looking for it. Plenty of frost on the windows this morning, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. We get 1-2 Hoar Frosts a year but this year's was a big one & this type of frost stuck around for quite a bit of the day. Oh yes lots of heavy frost out this morning - with wind chill it was -30(c)! Too cold for too long now.

      Delete
  5. I like the top one too. You can bet if I saw that kind of frost I'd be looking for photo ops too 🙂

    ReplyDelete