Thursday, March 22, 2018

Take Notice Thursday - Stones

In an effort to notice more of the ordinary in my life, I have decided to share what I have noticed this week in Take Three Thursday.   The idea is to take photos that are linked some how; by theme, by colour, by date, by moment,  by points of view. There is no formal link in but please feel free to join in. What have you noticed this week?  
 
Have a look at what others have  been up to this week:    
Maggie at Farmers Wife Day by Day
Ruth At This West London Life 
Karen at Random Reflections


What I noticed this week are the stones/rocks on top of the fence posts of a farmer's field.  I pass this field probably twice a week & have in the past sort of noted "oh look he's put a stone he found in the field on the post" to noticing this week that almost ever post had a stone/rock on the posts.  It's odd that he puts them on the top of the post - is it to help preserve the wood post from the elements?  decorative in his mind?  some ritual? a sense of fun?  There are also piles of rocks/stones on the non-farming side of the fence.  This farmer has primary beef cattle as his product, but does grow some plant crops, such as hay or corn.
 





"Imagination was given to man to compensate for what he is not; a sense of humour to console him for what he is."  Francis Bacon
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is. Francis Bacon
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/francis_bacon_161730?src=t_sense_of_humor
Imagination
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/francis_bacon_161730?src=t_sense_of_humor
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is. Francis Bacon
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/francis_bacon_161730?src=t_sense_of_humor

9 comments:

  1. I can understand him removed stones to make the ground easier to work but a bit of a mystery why he has put them on the posts. I would think there was a purpose as busy farmers wouldn't really have time to do it for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that, too, but have no idea why. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting observation ... why does he do it??!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen that before - I wonder who put them there and why? Was it the farmer or some passer by?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never seen that before. I do hope you find out why!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know of the ritual of placing a stone on a grave marker, so maybe these stones are some kind of remembrance? It's interesting to consider possible reasons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting! I feel there must be a reason and hope you find out what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a first for me, but I wonder if it's just because I haven't been observant. Now I'll be looking for them. I'd love to know why.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since my Angel card of the month is about bravery, I think I need to go visit the farmer man & ask him about his stones! ... Mary-Lou

    ReplyDelete