Monday, January 13, 2020

Me on a Monday January 13th

Good morning.  I hope that everyone enjoyed their weekend. 

Our Birch - seen through the window Sunday morning

Our weather is chaotic - one morning we wake to -15 (and that is not including a wind chill factor)  two days later we have +11 & rain. A lot of rain in a 24 hour period - 63.5mm which in the Saturday overnight turned to freezing rain & then snow.  For our region the ice & snow were but a drip & a dusting (thankfully).  But was most unsettling was waking Sunday morning to a "radiological warning".  East of us, outside of Toronto, is a nuclear plant, which is scheduled for decommissioning in 2024, issued what turns out in error, a warning of possible problems at the plant. Thankfully after several hours it was reported that there are no problems at the plant.
I had hinted in December about some continuing education options that I was exploring & thankfully "the great sickness" has not prevented me beginning a course that hopefully will restart my previous career as an adult educator; Managing a Diverse Learning Environment.  This was not part of my original  return to school plan, but The Universe has presented me with options I never would have thought of myself.  It's all about being in the right place at the right time.  It also ties in with my January Angel Thought; Listening.   Fingers crossed.
Source:Internet

"The great sickness" is now but a sniffle or two.  I cannot believe how long it has lingered on.  Many blame the up & down, in & out of the weather.  I am just glad to be done with it & have taken on a new, what some may say is extreme, hand washing & use of hand sanitize liquid regime.  I have also taken to carrying Lysol wipes to give debit machine & ATM keypads a wipe before use.  I also wipe off the handle of any carts I may need to use in the grocery store.  

On Sunday when I had logged into my blog, it reported that I had 666 posts published - I must admit that number freaked me out a little.  Thankfully today's post moves me past that number. 

Mr Man & I watched the movie, Tolkien.  It is the story of JRR Tolkien's early life just prior to his writing the two of the greatest books every written; The Hobbit & Lord of The Rings.  We both thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I am not sure it was a movie theatre hit.

Source:Internet


 “There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something…You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.”  JRR Tolkien; The Hobbit

18 comments:

  1. What a brilliant quote - very appropriate! Good luck with your new training, it is always good to learn something new and it sounds like the timing is absolutely perfect.
    I think we would be horrified if virus germs were visible to the naked eye and we could see how many there are on everyday objects so I do not blame you at all for being ultra careful since 'the great sickness'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like learning & since it is something I'm interested in, should be good. It's all the homework that I'm a little nervous about, years since I wrote a report!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I've started & if all goes well, I will take on two courses next semester.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your further education course ... coincidentally I was just thinking earlier today about looking into how to become an archivist ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An Archivist would be something right up your alley. Is this something for interest or job related?

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the course. I didn't know you'd previously worked in adult education ... which subject(s) do you teach?

    The radiation warning sounds scary. I'm relieved it turned out to be a false alarm, but probably not as relieved as you were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I trained mostly on banking systems & government registered plans for trust & credit unions of Canada. I must say at first that warning gave an unsettling thought - especially with all the tensions in the world. There's an investigation to begin as to how such a warning could be issued in error.

      Delete
  5. These temperature extremes make it hard. I'm glad you're feeling better. Taking wipes to use in public places is a genius idea! I'm glad that warning was a false alarm. Your new course sounds interesting. That Tolkien quote appeals to me. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get some side glances as I wipe down cart handles or the buttons on the debit machines but I really don't care - that "cold" was pretty rough going.

      Delete
  6. I saw Tolkien last year and thought it was very good (but you know that). I was thrilled to see that kid from About A Boy all grown up, and giggled at his little nod to a Hugh Grant impression!!

    Never experienced anything like your weather (wow) but the photos are very pretty!

    All the very best with the new course - and THANK GOODNESS the nuclear warnings were false alarms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, you did write how you liked Tolkien. I thought Nicolas as an adult had a look of Benedict Cucumberbatch about him. Our weather is so not normal for this time of year. I'm not sure now if I'm more upset about the false warning issued or Prince Harry & Megan!

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness, that sounds alarming ... What a lot of rollercoaster-y things to cope with. No wonder your immune system needs a helping hand. I love your quote! Hoping the fresh energy of your new venture will help too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa. New starts for a new year, new decade & as my Gran often said, a change is as good as a rest. I most hopeful not to get on that illness ride again!

      Delete
  8. I'm convinced that the resurgence of allergy problems is due to the roller coaster weather. Today we had 54°. Friday the high is forecast to be 17°. Enough already! We had such strong winds Sunday that we lost power for nearly 8 yours. Your photo of the ice on the branches is beautiful. Good luck with the coursework. Hopefully it will be interesting, and stimulating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Man has had terrible sinus woes this season & he blames the weather. No power for 8 hours!!! Thankfully we only had moments of flickering, but I turned everything off any way just in case - it does the computers no good to have sudden offs. Hopefully no more to crazy weather, Mother Nature remembers it's Winter & provides such.

      Delete
  9. Oh, all that ice & cold & weather changes would make being sick even worse. I'm so glad you are doing better & agree that the hand washing & sanitizers are great ideas. Our grocery store has sanitizing wipes available to use on the cart handles.

    As a teacher, that sounds like a great class!!

    I had not heard of the Tokien movie ... off to check that out now. We are huge fans of The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings trilogy. We've read them (more than once) and seen all the movies (more than once). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tolkien movie is on loop on our movie channel, so I may just watch again. I hope if you can catch you & Robbie enjoy. The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings have so much in them, it's why I like to re-read.

      Delete