Monday, January 20, 2020

Me On A Monday - January 20th

Good Morning one & all.  Over the weekend as we moved into the 2nd half of January (already!), it was another wild weekend weather tale.   Although we had some snow, 18cm,  nothing like our most eastern province of Newfoundland.  75cm+ of snow fell in 2 days, plus they experienced winds raging at 150mph & seas surges.  So I will not be doing too much moaning about our local weather, OK I will but only to other locals.


I'm currently reading Dr Brene Brown's lastest book, Braving The Wilderness.  I really enjoy her TED Talks.  It's an interesting read as she talks a lot about what, she & her team believe are some of the causes of the world's disconnect & ever growing loneliness problem & how to possibly correct.  I disagree with one of her points in the book in where she names the mass shooter of the Sandy Hook school shootings.  I personally don't believe his name ever needs to be said out loud or written in a book. The victims, yes, but not the person who commits such a crime.

I am just about finished The Gown by Jennifer Robson.  This book fulfilled January's book reading challenge of a Historical Novel.  I did not love, but I did not hate either.  It was, for me, one of those books, that was oh that was nice, but no more, I just couldn't connect with the fictional characters.

My crafting moments have not been plentiful in the last few weeks but what I have been doing is making Valentine cards for the Canadian Military serving overseas.  I got about 6 made. It's the same group of Stampers that organized the Christmas card collection for the military of which I made 10.  I don't have a lot of Valentine themed supplies, but it was nice to play with a few of the punches I had & rework a couple of stamps to use for the sentiments;  Roses are red, Violets are blue, Thank You for all that you do.  The cards are similar to this card below - simple & no glitter, foil paper or gem stones allowed.

"There comes a day when turning the page is the best decision for you because you realize there's so much more to the book than the page you are stuck on."  unknown author

20 comments:

  1. After reading this I am very grateful that I do not live in Newfoundland - I don't think I could cope with that!
    What a lovely idea to send cards to the military serving overseas, I am sure that they are thrilled to receive them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newfoundland gets lots of snow in the winter, but this was well in excess - especially given it was in a 24 hour period. The military are helping to dig them out. Cars & some homes have been completely buried! The photos from there are mind blowing. My goal in 2020 is to send for no reason at least 6 military cards, a spin off of Ruth's Thank you project.

      Delete
  2. Sending cards to the military is such a cool thing to do!
    Hope you and Mr Man are keeping safe and warm during the falls of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed with the lady organizing both the Christmas card & Valentine card drive. She is also encouraging us to send for no reason little notes & cards. There's a little bit of ice in spots under that snow - we woke to -21 (c) this morning & that's without the wind chill factor thrown in. I might need to borrow your jumper (sweater).

      Delete
  3. Canada has been mentioned on the news rather a lot lately, but mostly in connection with Prince Harry rather than your weather. We're experiencing a few sunny days, rather spring-like although I think the heavy rain is due to return this week. No snow expected though!

    I like the card you've made. I read The Witchfinder's Sister for my historical novel but have no idea what I'll read for the February genre which is Romance. Any suggestions will be appreciated please 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not sure what I am feeling about Prince Harry & Megan's move here (Vancouver Island) or the whole "stepping back" ...
      I've got notice that The Witchfiner's Sister is waiting for me at the library. Romance, ummm, so far I've got nothing on that list!

      Delete
  4. Hearts is really all you need for lovely Valentines---your card surely is! And for such a great cause. Love the photo of the brick wall with the snow. We've had several inches--6?--this weekend. Today is sunny (Yay!) and bitterly cold (Boo!) It feels like we should be mid-February we've had so much winter weather already. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. This winter has been so far a strange one, weather wise. One thing I've noticed is how very dry my skin is, which I think is from the dryness of indoors - reason to get outside - but not today. The gorgeous sunshine is deceptive, it hides the bitter cold. So I'll enjoy the sunny day but from inside :)

      Delete
  5. I'm looking up Brene Brown and will check out her website and TED talks. Thanks for the recommendation. I decided to look for historical fiction in the public domain ;) I like the design of the card you made, and that piece of heart trim at the bottom is the perfect touch :) Our low was predicted to be 22F last night, and I thought _that_ was cold lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr Brown is amazing IMO, I hope you enjoy the TED Talks. The heart trim was part of a nested heart die cut set that I bought 2nd hand, it was at the bottom of the container, so a happy find :)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely thing to make and send ... I hope they will be warmly appreciated. I read about the snowfall this morning - yikes! I think it's about 25 years since we had it that bad up here; glad it is not as bad where you are, and I love that photo of your snow-frosted brick wall. We are crossing fingers here as we have yet to have snow - very unusual for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that this brick & snow is my WPSH find for contrast. I'm thankful there seems to be the normal January sunshine returning. Mother Nature certainly is letting us know her displeasure at climate change.

      Delete
  7. Can't believe Valentine's Day is less than a month away. Your card is lovely - very appropriate for a service man or woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My head is spinning at how fast the month is moving on. Thanks, I hope that the cards are well received.

      Delete
  8. Echoing all previous remarks on your weather and card!
    That is one heck of an excellent quote! Must remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often need reminding to turn the page on some life situations ... I think that's why I got stuck in one job after the other, I kept reading the page over & over hoping the plot would change. Now having turned the page(s) I see how the story does change. :)

      Delete
  9. It's been cold here ... some days sunny, some days rainy (like today). That's a lovely Valentine card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa, it was a fairly quick & easy card to make. For us if it's gloriously sunny it is also bitterly cold; milder temperatures means dreary overcast days. It's January, it's Ontario :)

      Delete
  10. Such a sweet card.
    You have been spending winter perfectly....reading a book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy how delightful to have you pop around. I hope all is well with you & the family. Have you returned to blogging? I agree reading is one of the best past times; through books, I travel to amazing place, meet some of the most interesting people. :)

      Delete