Monday, February 22, 2021

Me On A Monday - February 22nd

Good Morning.  I hope that everyone is keeping warm during these cold winter days.  And what better way to keep warm than with a delicious casserole for dinner.

I will make notes at the end of the recipe of the adjustments I made when making this recipe - twice now.

 

Chicken Cranberry Pinwheel Bake

For the Pinwheels:

2 cups packaged biscuit mix  (1)

½ cup milk

For the casserole:

½ cup cranberry orange relish

¼ cup chopped white sweet onion

¼ cup butter or margarine

1/3 cup all purpose flour

14oz of chicken or vegetable broth

1 1/3 cups milk

1 ½ cup cooked chicken (or turkey) cut into bite size pieces (3)

1 cup shredded cheese

1 can of mushrooms pieces, drained

Pinwheels:  combine biscuit mix with ½ cup milk; stir well, turn onto lightly floured surface, knead 5-6 times. Roll out to a 10 inch square, spread with cranberry relish over dough, roll up as a jelly roll, moisten edges with water, seal, cut into 8 slices, set aside.

In saucepan cook onion in butter/margrine until tender, stir in flour, blending well, add broth & 1 1/3 cups milk.  Cook & stir for 1-2 minutes, as it starts to thicken, add chicken/turkey, cheese & mushrooms, stir until cheese melts & mixture is on a low slow boil.  Turn chicken mixture into 12X7X2” baking dish, arrange pinwheels on top, bake at 425 until biscuits are browned.  Serves 4-6.

My Adjustments:  

(1) I used Pilsbury crescent rolls so I don't need the 1/2 cup milk

(2) I mixed whole berry cranberry sauce with orange marmalade jam to make cranberry relish 

(3) I use soy/tofu cut into slices (for me)

(4)  I used light fat Farmer's Marble

metric-to imperial conversions 

17 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me - rolling out the dough was a non-starter for me, so thanks for the tip on substituting crescent rolls. That I can manage. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first made the recipe I did not have any Bisquick in the cupboard so the crescent rolls were on hand. I read that in England they get a crescent roll made by Sara Lee. I have another delicious & easy crescent roll recipe, which I made often.

      Delete
  2. Sounds and looks good! I know that not everyone feels the same, but I have really enjoyed cooking and trying new recipes during the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like cooking & baking & trying new recipes, not just everyday for all 3 meals (lol). It was a year ago today that we had our last meal out.

      Delete
  3. There's something very comforting about a casserole isn't there? Those pinwheels are a lovely addition, this sounds really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Mr Man is easy to please. One of my sisters, her husband won't eat anything where other foods touch each other. I don't think I could manage that kind of eater.

      Delete
  4. I'll just say that I have never heard of a crescent roll ... but the recipe sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crescent rolls are a staple found in the refrigerate aisle, but I am sure any rollable biscuit recipe would work.

      Delete
  5. It sounds very nice but it's got milk and cheese, so no good for me unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you could substitute vegan cheese & milk.

      Delete
    2. I could probably use soya milk but haven't yet found a non dairy cheese that I like.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I like the sound of those cranberry pinwheels! I can see myself making those for breakfast (without the casserole)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that it would be a tasty breakfast treat & using either crescent rolls or the Bisquick would make it quick & easy.

      Delete
  7. Wow, this sounds good. Would be a great brunch recipe. I like the contrast of sweet and savory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about changing the cranberry relish to a honey mustard mix just to change up the flavour. Like you I enjoy a hint of savory & sweet together.

      Delete
  8. This looks very pretty! I might struggle with some of the ingredients but I always enjoy seeing what other people are eating, making and enjoying :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. The casserole sounds delicious. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete