Monday, May 16, 2022

Me On A Monday - May 16th

Good Morning - Spring is definitely in full swing & action in my part of the world.

Current Spring Tulips.  This has been an amazing year for tulips in this region.  Everyone is talking about the abundance of bloom.  I am so amazed at the number & varying colours of bloom in my garden.  So far I have lost only 3 tulip blooms to naughty squirrels, or more likely naughty bunnies.


Current Spring Sex. The wild bunnies are running about; early evening last week we had two males chasing each other off for the solitary female.  Will it mean having baby bunnies to battle in the garden?

Current Spring Cleaning. The township has sent around two street sweepers to tidy up the roads. They did a fantastic job.  Sadly two days later, 2 neighbours decided that it was too much work for them to bag their grass clippings & blew their cuttings on to the sidewalks & road, which makes a horrible mess to walk through. The grass clippings then get washed into the sewer system.

Current Spring Birth Day. One of our neighbours around the corner wanted to let everyone know that they had a girl.  A fun announcement.

Current Spring Planting: The farmer in the field behind us was busy preparing the fields & planting corn. We are desperate for some rain.


Current Spring Feeding:  Our little chipmunks have returned, This one, I believe is from last year as he seems to know the routine of me in the garden, means a peanut handout. Oh I am so well trained. This year I am calling this one Timmer.  A name of a character from a favourite book.

Current Spring NSD. For National Scrapbook Day I did a few layouts but mostly on this Saturday, I participated in an online (FB) card making, catalogue reveal  "party", hosted by my upline contact for Stampin Up.  I won two of the draws (stamp sets) & made this mystery card.  The host sends the written instructions for cutting & as a group we put the card together.  I was quite pleased with my results.  The ongoing joke is not to have naked envelopes.  I must admit this is a set I nearly always forget when card making.


Current Spring Nesting Destruction: We had a squirrel rip some siding off the house in one of those odd angles on the roof line & try to make a nest.  We quickly had the pest removal people show & install a one way door - they can get out but not back in.  Thankfully our little furry friend has moved on before completion of the nest & the birthing of any babies. Eventually re-building a nest in the neighbours large walnut tree. 

Current Spring Returning: No photos of this, but I conducted/participated in my last Zoom meetings last week.  All are preparing for the migration back to in- person working.  Not sure how I am feeling about it.  😔

Current Excitement:  Next Monday, May 23rd is a holiday weekend for us so I'll be posting the 2022 Summer Scavenger Photo Hunt list. 

See you later in the week for some Wisdom  👧



22 comments:

  1. There's a lot going on in your part of the world! When I lived in Germany, it was always fun to spot the safe arrival of a new baby - a tiny washing line of baby clothes in either pink or blue at the front of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a happening place with all the mundane things of life (col). I was surprised, given today's enlightened folks, that pink and or blue are still acceptable to announce the birth of a baby ... I'll say no more about that for now!! :)

      Delete
  2. Ah, Spring, when a young rabbit's thoughts turn to ensuring a next generation :) I'm sure you'll be seeing the babies. The tulips are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think there will be quite a few baby bunnies this year. The tulips are doing well because last year not so many new bunnies.

      Delete
  3. Very happy to see that this year's photo hunt is definitely going ahead! It's a project that I really enjoy.
    Sounds like you could have a few baby bunnies to join the chipmunk in the garden soon - better stock up on extra wildlife food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb I do the SPSH for you :) I was rather on the fence this year but then I thought I cannot let you down :) I hope the list is a fun one for everyone. I'm already considering where and what can I take photos of to meet the list.

      Delete
  4. I like the birth announcement. I don't think I've ever seen an announcement to neighbours like that over here.

    Timmer looks like he's making himself at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully gender reveal parties did not take off here but yes lawn ornaments announcing births & milestone birthdays are big here. We often see flocks of pink flamingos or tuxedo clad penguins on lawns for those significant milestone birthdays. Thankfully neither Mr Man & I are sharing birth dates with neighbours & family & most friends don't live close by.

      Delete
  5. Glad you finally have evidence of spring, and what a cute chipmunk! That mystery card is a nice idea. I have a friend who does something similar with quilts. Every year she ends up with a new quilt that she's made entirely "blind" from weekly instructions sent online. I don't know what she is going to do with all those random quilts, but they are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find quilting a daunting skill/craft but so admire those that do, but doing with only week to week instructions - now that's brave! We had a bit of a heat wave last week & now back to chilly nights but thankfully it also brought some rain.

      Delete
  6. For a second there, I thought your blog was going to get really interesting! (wink, wink) Personally, I am okay with naked envelopes but I am not fond of naked buttons. And I have been looking forward to the summer photo hunt - bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in the Stampin Up world it seems naked envelopes is a huge no no. There are some that use the patterned paper to make the envelope flaps look pretty. IMO, a waste of expensive pretty paper. Bunny sex & squirrel sex is fast becoming x-rated spring time in my garden. Enough already! Glad you are excited for the SPSH - I was wondering if everyone was up for it or not.

      Delete
  7. Grass clippings on sidewalks are so irritating. I sweep back what little I happen to blow on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grass clippings from these two yards are usually quite thick and I've seen cyclists wipe out if the clippings & rain mix. I hate that it gets into my groves on my runners.

      Delete
  8. Definitely a happening kind of neighborhood! There's a lot that goes on around your yard and neighborhood! :) I foresee some baby bunnies in your future! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do seem to be having a busy time & today I counted 5 different landscaping companies parked on the road while "doing" yards. If the bunnies leave my flowers along I'm OK with them being safe in my yard.

      Delete
  9. Forgot to say, I'm looking forward to the summer photo scavenger hunt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - glad to be reading that there is some anticipation & excitement around this year's SPSH.

      Delete
  10. That is a hoot. I've never thought of doing that: a one way door. Our cat doors work that way.
    I posted about those tulips today, as well!
    Thanks for the visit!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I'm not sure how difficult building your own 1 way door would be, but it took "our" squirrel a few hours to go through. The pest company says some of them have had experience before with the one way & know what it means, but hunger finally drives them out. (thankfully). I am so envious of all the birds you get in your yard & that bear visit was both WOW & oh no ...

      Delete
  11. Lots going on in your neighborhood! Feeding chipmunks in our yard is a big No-No! We frequently have what my husband refers to as an infestation--and they dig nasty holes all over the yard. I do agree, however, that they are cute as can be. The big news in our yard is the arrival of the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and the Baltimore Orioles. Both are stunning--the Grosbeaks will only be around for a week or two. The past few years, the Orioles have stayed all summer. Looking forward to the Summer Photography Scavenger Hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen we get the Orioles in our yard just passing through & when I see one, I stand in awe. There is a man in the south part of our village that gets dozens all summer & I was once invited into his yard to watch - Orioles & Hummingbirds fighting for the same feeder was SO amazing. Yes I agree too many chipmunks can be a problem. I have several arguements throughout the season about digging in my pots.

      Delete