Monday, October 24, 2022

Me On A Monday - October 24th

 Good Morning.  In reviewing some projects around the house & posting on my blog, I can see I've missed sharing the big outdoors project for this year (although really I was sure I had ...)

On the west side of the house we have tried for years to get the grass to thrive. A lot of time, effort & money went into re-seeding, fertilizing, new dirt, overseeding, watering, etc.  It just would not grow.  Partly because of the large red maple tree (a type of Norway Maple) it takes a lot of the water & nutrients from the soil.  SO this year, Mr Man designed a project & we had a landscape company install his vision.  I'm not 100% sold on the results, but if Mr Man is happy, then this wife is happy too.  A good part of the theory is that having the mid-size river rock is that come leaf clean up, it will be easy to blow the leaves off the stones ... that's the theory.  So far as the leaves accumulate, I cannot find the flat flagstone path.  I'll say no more.

Before Photo:

The Start Of The Project:

 

The Finish Of The Project:

 

Lost in the leaves.

The weekend was glorious in weather, which allowed us to get out into the garden to continue with putting the garden to bed for the winter.  Five full bags of yard waste for Monday's pick up.

While we were out in the garden one of our favourite little friends was awake & came for a visit.  Of course I offered some contributions to their winter food stash.

And now off we go into another week.

19 comments:

  1. Oh that cobbled area looks so good, with and without leaves!
    The last photo is just too cute - how clever to get such a good picture before he scuttled off with his loot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure all my chipmunks, of which there seems to be only two left, are enjoying the extra warm few days of gathering left before the long winter arrives. I am only too happy to provide any help I can. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn. Mr Man is quite pleased with the end results.

      Delete
  3. Cool reinvention of the space. My solution to a similar problem with grass was to see what ground cover would grow and then leave the leaves alone lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried using sterile white clover as a cover but even that wouldn't grow under the red maple - Norway maples are not native to Canada & had I know at the time, I would not have planted inspite of liking the deep crimson leaves.

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't mind a cute wee visitor like that when I am in the garden ... I get slugs, snails and spiders!
    I like the new look ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cute visitor will eat snails so "she" is also like my own little pest control officer.

      Delete
  5. We just returned from Wisconsin, and the prospect of putting the flower beds to rest is not one I relish tackling! I like the look of Mr. Man's vision, and I think it will probably work out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also feel that sadness in putting the garden to bed, especially putting all my solar lights away - it is SO dark out in the back garden. Mr Man is feeling quite happy with the vision come to life, although he says in the spring he will tweak by relocating some of the larger rocks, he feels it is piled to high in some areas.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I do like the finished project photo! That would be ideal for my front yard! It looks nice with the carpet of autumn leaves, too; maybe the Leaf Blower is waiting for all the leaves to fall before they are blown away? That last photo is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. Our leaf guy always comes in November as he knows the maples are the last to let go. This chipmunk is known as Timmer, named after a character in a favourite book. The use of river rock is becoming quite a common addition to many local gardens because of the draught & inability to rid the lawns of nasty insects.

      Delete
  7. We pretty well give up on grass for several reasons, so we mulch over a weed battier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grass is becoming a luxury item because of the amount of water it takes to keep lush & at the rate of water - yikes. Our back garden lawn is sterile white clover which takes no water, other than rain, to keep it lush & green, plus it keeps weeds at bay.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn. I've had Mr Man out testing to see if the leaves do indeed blow off the river rocks easily - they do! :)

      Delete
  9. I think it works well, and however annoying the fallen leaves, they are very pretty. LOVE the last photo. (I showed Baby Oleg and he wanted to make friends. He didn't understand how far away Timmer was, or how long it would take to get there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should Baby Oleg decide he needs a trip, he would be most welcome to sit on the patio & wait for Timmer to come for a visit, although it would have to be in the late spring to early Autumn. Chipmunks sleep a good deal underground for the winter (not hibernate though). Trees are almost bare now, we have had several nights of minus temperatures :(

      Delete
    2. Oh I assure you that wouldn't bother him; he loves burrowing! But I don't want a lost or katnapped Oleg on my hands so he will have to wait until he is old enough to travel safely.

      Our trees are very late to shed their leaves this year. Some are down, but relatively few and the vast majority are still green and attached to the branches. Climate change! On Autumnwatch they showed all the knock-on effects of this. Not good.

      Delete