Monday, November 06, 2023

Me On A Monday - November 6th

 

Source


Greetings & Salutations.  I hope everyone survived Halloween & Guy Fox events.  We had about 68 kids come calling on October 31st.  My style of handing out candy changed in 2022, I set up a table at the front door with a disposable bowl & sign that says "please take only one so others may share in the treats".    Guy Fox is usually marked in this region with large bonfires without the Guy.  Thankfully neither event call for fireworks.

Currently ReadingThe Last Life Boat.  I cannot remember if anyone recommended this book to me or not.  I'm not sure I like this book, I am not bonding with either of the two main characters. There are several chapters to go yet.

Also reading The Dictionary of Lost Words.  As I love words & often think that indeed same words can mean different things to men & women. It's based on real people; real events & the event is the creation of the first dictionary. 

Currently Watching: the last available season of Brokenwood - season 9.  No official word that there will be a season 10.  It is definitely a quirky series.

Currently Putting Away: all my Autumn decorations.  I am not a fan of the colour orange for my decorating, so I was very happy to have found white/grey pumpkins, on my new pillow covers & new Autumn mug.  It is too early for me to put out Christmas decorations. I will have a period of quiet & calm. 

The pillow covers slip on & off quite easily & don't add to storage needs or excess.  




Currently Checking: the weather reports for this Saturday coming as it is Remembrance Day & our village always host a small parade of the cadets to the cenotaph at the centre of the village.  I think this year it is extremely important to remind ourselves of the sacrifices that were fought for us.  There are lots of beautiful signs on lawns about Remembering Them.  "At the rising sun & at its going down; We remember them. At the blowing of the wind & in the chill of winter; We remember them."

Source: The Poppy Store



12 comments:

  1. Non-orange works too. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your week goes without being ghosted out of appts. I am very pleased with my find of grey & beige pumpkins. It is the one time I'm OK with non tradition :)

      Delete
  2. I like your way of dealing with the trick or treaters - when the bowl is empty, that's your lot. :)
    In the run up to Remembrance Day, it doesn't feel as the world has learned anything from the past. These are difficult days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new style of handing out candy was born out of frustration that the kids start at 5:30pm & went on until after 8pm. The constant door bell going upset Mr Man (he hates Halloween) & the cats. The world is experiencing a time of great grief.

      Delete
  3. The Last Life Boat was our book club choice a while ago. I had no idea that there were ‘seavacuation’ children who were sent so far from home.
    Our weather seems ok for the Remembrance events in town here. I just hope that the big procession in London is not spoilt by protesters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also hopeful that in London, Saturday & Sunday's services/ceremonies' are not disrupted. I cannot imagine how the parents felt sending their children away to be safe & then have the boat sunk. Heartbreaking times.

      Delete
  4. I really like your white/grey pumpkin cushion covers and mug! We had no trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood - the last time I left a container with candy with a note saying. "Take one only, please" because I was out taking my daughter trick-or-treating, we came home to find that they had taken the container and all the decorations, as well! My daughter was so upset!

    The Dictionary of Lost Words sounded interesting and I put a hold on it at the library. The library has drawn up a list of 5 recommended books for me and I have already read 3 of them! LOL.

    Remembrance Day is known as Veterans Day, here (as you probably already know). It seems to be a big day for sales and one almost never see poppies. But, I remember them from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bless that is awful that the t/t's took not only candy but the bowl & decorations, hence why I put out a disposable recyclable bowl. How nice that the library drew up a reading list for you. Did you like their recommendations? I know for you sales are big in the run up to your Thanksgiving/Christmas. There is a movement in Ontario that doesn't want any Christmas sales or stuff out until after November 11th out of respect ... many of the stores are now moving in that direction & holding off with the overdone push to Christmas ... most, not all.

      Delete
  5. Here I am, two days late again. I loved The Dictionary of Lost Words, and recently finished The Bookbinders--same author, same time period and location. The main characters in the first novel become very minor characters in the second. Also very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was from your blog book list that I saw The Dictionary of Lost Words. We seem to like the same books. I'll check the library for Bookbinders. Words are so important, there's often the dictionary clarification, but often the emotional meaning is missed. In the Lost Words I felt the woman's pain when she submitted Loss with the meaning of losing her two sons in WWI & the loss of her Motherhood, loss of her ability to be a Grandmother.

      Delete
  6. My book club read The Dictionary of Lost Words, and I loved it. x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lost Words is a book that resonates after the last page.

    ReplyDelete