Monday, April 15, 2024

Me On A Monday - April 15th

 

Good Morning All. I hope that everyone is well. 

Currently Reading: just finished up two books, How To Solve Your Own Murder. I did not find this long awaited book all that engaging. I did not connect with any of the characters.

A surprise enjoyable read, The Bittlemores, written by singer/song writer Jann Arden.  "The Bittlemores takes place on a rural farm and follows the story of 14-year-old Willa Bittlemore as she tries to find out what happened to her older sister Margaret.  This family is part fantasy, part fiction, part little bits of my actual DNA. My mom's childhood, my dad's disposition, long dead relatives and dear childhood friends. I had a mighty group of souls cheering us on — me and Willa and Carol and Margaret and the cows and a feisty orange cat," says Jann Arden

I loved the cows! 🐄🐄🐄

Currently Watching: One episodes in of Mr Bates & The Post Office. I know that this is a true story. We do like Toby Jones & so many of the cast are known to me via Coronation Street. 

Currently Doing Some Home Projects: painting the walls in the ensuite bathroom, kitchen & hallway.  Neither Mr Man or I are painters, so we have hired decorators to do. Which leaves us free to do some sorting in the basement!  We finished up hushing the living room last week & after spending time with only the big furnishings in the room for a week*, we have put back fewer items to see if we enjoy the reduction of things. Nothing has been given away or donated, they are in a box to see if we miss. I am by no means a minimalist. * Home hushing articles all say 24-36 hours of hushing, we decided we needed more time of quiet before bringing anything back in; that worked for us.

Here's another link to hushing a room if you are interested: House-hushing-why-you-need-it.  I've also included a link to an article that has several contributors with some tidbits of info that could be helpful. What-is-home-hushing?   

For me, I take what I need from any of the suggestions & leave what doesn't speak to me.

And I'll leave you with this thought & chuckle from the internet ... "I leave my house a mess so that when friends visit, they go home feeling better about their own housekeeping skills ... I'm a good friend like that."


13 comments:

  1. I have never heard of hushing a room! I am off to investigate 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'm being fooled that they are wrapping decluttering in another way using the term hushing, but for us, it was easier & a gentle way to feel what was needed. The room is certainly feeling cozy & not cluttered, so a win for us. The challenge was what to do with, where to put the accessories stuff removed from the room during the hushing, thankfully the furniture stays during the "process".

      Delete
  2. I'm off to read more about home hushing--a term I've never heard before. I laughed out loud at your last quote which could have come directly from my daughter's mouth! I do remember her saying something very similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sarah & I do seem to like the same books, so maybe we are in sync in housekeeping (lol). House (room by room) hushing is certainly not for everyone & I'm not sure I could be up for doing every room, but it was an interesting exercise in doing the living room. We are still enjoying the after glow of doing it for the living room ... it feels cozy not cluttered.

      Delete
  3. I don't think we hush although I am not against it. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa ... house hushing is certainly not for all & it does take some planning as to where to put all the accessories during the hushing time.

      Delete
  4. Mr Bates v the Post Office was so good! The real Mr Bates appeared before the inquiry last week and was extremely scathing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that Mr Bates & the Post Office has been going on for years now is certainly mind boggling - the innocent lives so deeply affected, beggars belief.

      Delete
  5. I definitely like the last quote...will use it again sometime! Enjoyed reading about hushing, somewhat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun quote & I can see my friends & I going back & forth with this quote for months to come. Hushing is an interesting idea, IMO.

      Delete
  6. Never heard of house hushing! I am also enjoying `Mr Bates` as I had read about the Post Office fiasco recently in the newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the fact that the post office fiasco is still having Mr Bates to testify & inform is beyond belief. I got teary at Sunday's episode.

      Delete
  7. I, too, haven't heard the term, "hushing", but, I'm intrigued and shall read the links. Thank you; you always provide some interesting concepts when it comes to decluttering, etc. And I love that last quote!

    ReplyDelete