Wednesday, August 28, 2024

2024 SPSH - 2nd Link In

 Good Morning.  I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer.  Today is the second of 3 link ins for the 2024 SPSH, hosted by Ruth & her Best Friend over at This West London Life; the list can be found at: This West London Life - 2024 SPSH

For this link in, these are my finds:

#3 - A Colourful Front Door; this one has a colourful past.  I like how the scales of justice are the keystone.  

We crossed an item off my bucket list by walking the reformatory (prison) grounds.  This reformatory closed in 2002 as has been under much discussion as what to do with it.  Overall the main buildings are in good shape. There's about 1000 acres which link in with trails along a river & the university. Difference between a prison & reformatory is that one is governed controlled by the federal government (prison) & the other is controlled provincially. Reformatories are for non-violent crimes.

#4 - What's On Your Feet; my new this season red running shoes (or as some would call them, sneakers or joggers) (trust me no jogging will be done in this shoes).  They are very comfortable & I can wear them with several outfits.  They debuted on Canada Day.

#5 Favourite Summer Food/Meal; hands down or should I say spoons down & I should more often, is Chapman's frozen yoghurt - Black Jack. Oh so good.


#7 Favourite Summer Reading Nook/Space; this is also a favourite winter, autumn & spring space. The floral case is for my bible.



#8 Something Colourful In Your Garden/Neighbourhood; I grew these annuals from seed.  Silver Cup Lavatera (Lavatera trimestris) (aka Tree Mallows)


#11 A Kitchen Utensil You Hardly Ever Use; we rarely have mashed potatoes, usually just at Thanksgiving & Christmas, so my potato masher does not see a lot of action.



See you on Wednesday October 2nd,  for the final link in of the 2024 SPSH.


 

17 comments:

  1. Youve found some great items for the prompts. I can see why that is your favoutite spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again I posted too fast and it came up as ‘anonymous’ 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Blogger, Word Press - they are all giving me grief for signing in for comments, so don't worry about being anonymous :)

      Delete
  3. That is a very interesting door and arch way; your new shoes are lovely and perfect for Canada Day! Thank you for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Man has even suggested we have another walk about the prison grounds, there is so much history with this location & he'd like to walk to the back where there are "factory" buildings where the inmates worked. They made park benches along with other things.

      Delete
  4. Very cool runners. I have red ones, but they aren't bright. It's good to see Lavatera. I grew some of these plants back in Sarnia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I set out lots of seeds but only two plants made it to the flowering stage. I am going to try again next year.

      Delete
  5. I love those red sneakers. The chair looks comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days that chair sees more action than it should (col) & not just by me, one of the cats really likes the spot.

      Delete
  6. Great photos! Such cute shoes. Sneakers:) And I have to agree - our potato masher was donated quite awhile ago. Although we used it often when the children were at home. Oh well....easy does it now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. I just watched some videos on using chick peas as a sandwich filler & the cooking instructor suggested using a potato masher for smashing the roasted chickpeas, so mine might see more action! (col).

      Delete
  7. Interesting bit of history about your colorful door. I'm not sure I even own a potato masher any more. If I do, it doesn't get used! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kym. The prison (reformatory) was at one time a North American model of prison reform - the inmates here actually grew their own food, raised livestock & contributed to the community. It was about giving the men a skill to return to society with. I hope that the grounds are kept in a park like setting & not sold off for more sub-divisions of closer than closer housing.

      Delete
  8. Cute shoes! Red is one of my favorite colors. I also love the Lavatera--I don't think I've ever seen one or even heard of one. And I'm very impressed by anything grown by seed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I am really surprised how much use I'm getting from my red shoes. I'm going to save the seeds from this one plant & hope for more next year - they really are a pretty flower & seem to be drought tolerant.

      Delete
  9. You found some great photos for the hunt! I didn't join this summer, for some reason; I hope there will be a winter one, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I was pleased that Ruth picked up the challenge for the SPSH. This will definitely be my last PSH... although they say never say never (lol).

      Delete