Thursday, May 25, 2017

Take Three Thursday: Lock or Lack?

If an effort to notice more in my life, I have decided to share what I have noticed this week in Take Three Thursday.  The idea is to take 3 photos that are linked some how; by theme, by colour, by date, by moment,  by points of view. There is no formal link in but please feel free to join in.  What have you noticed this week?

See what these friends have noticed this week:
Maggie: Farmers Wife Day By Day
Eileen: In My Playroom

This week all the lilacs are in full blooming glory.  Such a heady scent with these flowers.  Lilacs seem to be a staple planting for all the local old farm steads & many have gone rather wild & form huge groves.  It seems as long as no one cuts the flowers, the bush is covered from ground to sky in flowers.  There seems to be three prominent colours; purple, mauve & white.  One of our down the road neighbours has a row of white lilacs which is quite stunning.   When the next door neighbours cut down all their lilac shrubs I noticed a few suckers sprouting up on my side of the fence.  I debate whether to keep or not.  They can grow to be quite large.   And while we are talking lilacs, do you say lilac which sounds like li lock or lilac which sounds like  li lack?

Purple
White
Mauve

Where there were Grandmothers, there was always lilacs ... Laura Mill




14 comments:

  1. I say lilac to rhyme with 'lack'.

    Gorgeous plants but way too big for my garden but I'd have one if I could. Mum always used to say that it was bad luck to cut lilac and bring it into the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if my Gran thought they were bad luck to bring in because she never allowed us to cut any. The lilacs can grow to be quite large & take over an area. I know that there are hybreds that grow small & contained for smaller gardens, just not sure the scent would be as strong.

      Delete
  2. Rochester holds a famed Lilac Festival every year. We live just a block from the park, but due to travel, weather, and other commitments we never made it to the park this year. I drove by the park yesterday, and nearly all the lilacs are fading or gone. Yours are absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about the Lilac Festival in Spokane as one of my sisters when she lived there sent us all the Lilac Cookbook. I think the chilly weather is helping to keep all the spring flowers around a little longer.

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favourite scents in the spring/summer.
    We sadly don't have these trees in our yard, but I enjoy going for my walks and stopping to inhale the sweet scent of our surrounding neighbours trees.
    Not yet in bloom here..but soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My walks around have been slowed as I also stop to sniff. One neighbour has a Daphne shrub & it is absolutely gorgeous in scent & sight.

      Delete
  4. For me the smell brings me back to walking to elementary school on a warm spring day and dreaming hat summer vacation was just around the corner. I will go out of my way to have a deep sniff. Just planted a little one in my backyard two years ago. It is white and I am awaiting its full growth. A lovely post! I'm a "lock" girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jen you will have to post some photos of your white lilac. I have noticed there seems to be more white of late. I am also taking deep & long sniffs of this beautiful flower.

      Delete
  5. They are smelling lovely round here too.
    I don't say either - I generally say li-luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes walking a scent filled adventure when the lilacs bloom - nice to know we share that on both sides of the pond.

      Delete
    2. Funnily enough, my colleague's granddaughter is called Lilac (luck) and I occasionally have to watch myself in case I accidentally say "lack"! I have been thinking over your question and mulling over how I would sing the word. It seems to depend on the beat and length of note but I have definitely never heard "lock" around these parts. At least you gave me something to think about other than the horrible job I was working on today! (Now done and the (long) weekend has begun......)

      Delete
    3. I have never heard anyone called Lilac before. Umm, reminds me of that comedy show where the lead character was named Hyacinth. Glad to hear that the terrible awful job is done - yes bonus to a bank holiday weekend!

      Delete
  6. I was going to say lack but then I'm not sure it's not luck but it's definitely not lock! Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think lilacs just know how photogenic they are & no posing required. I think this week I have taken another 50 photos of different groves while out & about.

      Delete