Monday, November 20, 2017

Memo, Mail & Me Me: It's Monday Nov 20th

Good Monday Morning & what a powerful day it is.  I trust that everyone is well.


There was a combo memo/email received late Friday.  One of our students that works at the clinic part time has decided to give up the position as it's her 4th & maybe final year at university, she wants to spend more focused time on her studies.  I must admit I am not disappointed, JM is rather a difficult staff member for various reasons but of late it is primarily her lack of attention & focus on the job at hand which has lead to several errors. Previously The Boss has indicated he would like to dismiss her, but her resigning saves him the headache.  I must admit, I was impressed & thankful that she did give us several weeks notice, so her last day is late December just before we shut down for a Christmas break.
The dread of resume reading - again!
Again on the email front, I sent out an email to previous student employees to ask if any of them know a friend or school mate that would be interested in a part time position.  I found this saves time & dollars posting on social media sights such as Indeed.  I was quite surprised when one of our non-student previous employees replied she would be very interested in this part time position!  It would be a great fit as she was a good worker, the patients really liked her & I wouldn't have to spend any time training her, maybe just refresh her on some of our clinic protocols.  The only negative is that when she quit the clinic she gave absolutely no notice.  That lack of courtesy still rattles my chain.  I am thinking long & hard about this one ...  What would you do?

The fur girls have been not very helpful while I was in the living room making some preparations for the soon Christmas decorating.  In particular Sooty was up on everything in that room & knocked over a plant stand with pot (no plant in it).  Thankfully she wasn't hurt & the pot did not break, but let me tell you I was not happy with her naughtiness.  
Did I Do That?

Just a short 30 minutes later she was entertaining Mr Man & me with her antics in a rather too small box with a catnip heart.  
 
Sooty giving us cuteness overload


Where as Smokey is much more an observer & sat in the window to watch the snow flurries


Oh cats!   

This Sunday was a mixed bag of weather & for me a mixed bag of emotions.  I talked to my best friend, who lives in Calgary, Alberta, for a short 2 hour conversation.  I miss her terribly, I miss her with such an ache in my heart.  She is my friend that is a safe harbour for my heart & soul.  


Then at church on Sunday, one of the ladies told me she liked my beret (hat) she said she had one too but only wore it on days that her hair was unwashed & behaving badly.  I was so taken back by this compliment that seemed to also smack me about the head.  
 
Snow Flurries Across The Open Field

 Then to finish me for the day, we were running errands in the city closest to us & I found in one store the perfect birthday gift for one of my in town friends, who I am meeting for lunch on Tuesday.  AJ is an ugly Christmas sweater & hot chocolate fanatic.  When  we got home, I unpacked my bags & saw that the gift was not in any of them.  I called the store right away, yes they found it still sitting at the cash, so they have put aside for me to pick up, which means about 1 1/2 hours round trip to go fetch.  Darn.
 
AJ's Birthday Gift


I just remind myself, that this to shall pass ...  

Happy week ahead everyone & to my American friends Happy Thanksgiving this Thursday. Remember turkey is the only food you can gobble.

11 comments:

  1. I would ask the previous employee why she left without notice and why she wants to come back. Laughed out loud at the comment about your beret! Older people can have a knack for a back-handed compliment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a chat - still not decided.
      This lady at church has a very sharpe tongue & is known for that back handed compliments.

      Delete
  2. Took me a minute to catch the meaning of the beret story - sounded like a back handed compliment once I caught on. Glad kitty and the plant stand survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooty has been banned from the dining room, she seems to think the table is a great launch pad!

      Delete
  3. Naughty cat!
    I agree with Ruth - I'd call the previous employee in for interview/informal chat and in so doing address the way she left before. Find out if there was anything specific behind it and make clear that it was unprofessional. I still don't understand how this keeps happening, or if the employment contract has no minimum notice period stipulated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she is a naughty kitty; the dining room table became a launch pad yesterday - she's on a week long time out of that room! I did have a chat with the previous/potential employee - my mind is still not made up. There's no contract although I think a good idea.

      Delete
  4. Too bad there's yet again another hiring issue! Good luck with it. The comment about your beret is pretty amusing once you think about it. Next time when you see her with one, you'll know why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hiring issues I think relate so much back to the owner of the clinic. He sees staff not so much as individual persons, but as a commodity that can easily be replaced, which I am sad to say seems to reflect a lot of companies these days.

      Delete
  5. I think that an extra line in the contract needs to be added saying that both employer and employee has to give a month notice and point it out at the meeting where you offer her the job!
    I love the story about your beret, I'm sure it wasn't meant as a comment on the possible state of your hair beneath it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a hiring contract is a good idea, although for causal part time we cannot make hiring contracts - Ontario employment laws are pretty rigid in favour of the employee, but that's a whole other issue. The hat "compliment" lady is known for her sharp tongue. She seems to be a lady that believes if she says nice things, it may delete from her own well being. She told the choir master once that she really like a particular hymn that had been chosen, she just wishes the writer had not put in so many high notes as so few can make them ... It is almost a game of what/who will she offend this week. She does a lot of organizing for the church events, so we just have to love her through her edges (lol).

      Delete
  6. LOL We'll be gobbling some turkey in a little while!

    Love catching up with you on Mondays. I think if the previous worker did a good job, it might be a good idea to give it another shot after discussing it with her. We never really know what goes on in other people's lives, so I'd give her an opportunity to discuss & then make a decision from there.

    ReplyDelete