Monday, March 01, 2021

Me On A Monday - March 1st

Happy March 1st - Happy Saint David's Day.  St David is the patron saint of Wales.  

 

Lots to celebrate in March; of course we start with St David's Day, next up for us is the start of daylight saving time on the 14th, which is also National PI (TT) Day & then on the 17th is St Patrick's Day, patron saint of Ireland; the first day of spring to celebrate on March 20th.  I have 8 family & friend birthdays to celebrate this month.  Surely there must be a cake making event in all this hurrah !?

Currently Successful: Saturday's dinner was two thumbs. After the 2nd bite, Mr Man said, oh this is definitely a make again dinner. Other comments heard around the dinner table were; "this is restaurant quality", "OMG this is SOOOO good", "this is finger licking good" & "I feel quite satisfied by this".  I made Ruth's Creamy Tomato & Chicken.  You can find Ruth's recipe here: Creamy-roasted-tomato-and-chicken-pasta/  The only change I made was to cook the spinach with the onions & garlic at the beginning as we are not fans of "just wilted spinach".  This was such a tasty dinner - thanks Ruth for sharing the recipe.  I just hope with tonight's baked mac & cheese I get the same loving!


Currently Reading :  HRH Fashions, So Many Thoughts On Royal Style.  It's more about the photos than anything written. 

Currently Struggling:  The ongoing vertigo is certainly continuing to play havoc with my day to day life.  I've had a few days where I spent most of the day laying down as it was too much to even sit up.  My doctor says to keep at it with the exercises, some people just have the inner ear crystals a little more stuck than others.

Currently Excited:  I received a "free" gift from my online grocery chain (Zehrs) as a thank you for joining their membership "club".  A package of gourmet dry pasta, a jar of gourmet Pesto sauce, a package of very large dinner (paper) napkins & a wood spoon. All useful gifts.

In with this week's click & collect order there was a little Thank You package. In it a mini granola bar, two hard candies & a package of instant hot chocolate.


And now I'll leave you with this only too true, for me, quote ... "sometimes I shock myself with the smart things I say or do, other times I try to get out of the car with my seat belt still on."

23 comments:

  1. I'm a March birthday too, so yes, there must be cake!
    I tried that recipe from Ruth as well, it's delicious isn't it? How lovely to receive such compliments after cooking a meal!
    Sorry to hear that the vertigo is still around, it's so frustrating when there is little you can do to help it go and no treatment to take either.
    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't get as many raves about a meal as I would hope (or feel I deserve, lol). The vertigo has become an impact in my day to day, so it looks like a trip to the doctor's office rather than just phone appointments :(

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that your ear problem is slow to clear itself up. I do thank you for the reminder about upcoming birthdays, as I needed the reminder to get a card in the mail today. And double thanks for the chuckle at the end. I am off to check out the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our main has been very slow of late, so I am having to mail cards earlier, so really needing to be on my game - I don't have any "sorry I missed your birthday" stamps (lol). Most chicken recipes make it easy for me to swap in soy for me, that's way they are a favourite. Often beef or pork recipes don't easily, taste wise, swap as easily, IMO.

      Delete
  3. How lovely to hear that recipes I've shared have been tried and enjoyed!
    The vertigo must be so exhausting for you - I do hope that it resolves itself very soon. Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next up is the apricot chicken recipe. I like the chicken recipes because it is so easy to change for me to soy/tofu.

      Delete
  4. We had hints of spring yesterday, but today will bring a cold front. Your dinner sounds good for the most part, but I am not sure about the spinach. Apparently others were however.

    March brings Sue’s birthday on the same day as the old Celtic New Year, which Tolkien used in his Middle Earth books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fans of Tolkien but I cannot remember the date for New Year - March 19th is ringing bells ... You could always leave out the spinach :) The wind today is bitterly cold & reminding me that old man winter is not done as yet - he lingers on.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about the ongoing vertigo; it affects everything you do, and seems so difficult to remediate. Keeping you in my prayers that it will soon subside. Dinner looks good, and it's always nice to get thumbs up with a new recipe. I have 8 birthdays on the list for March, including Tracy's on St. Patrick's Day. I should bake a cake, but he'd prefer a favorite chocolate raspberry confection from the local Kosher bakery. Or banana cream pie! He may get both since we won't celebrate with family until the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen for the prayers. Both of Tracy's birthday treats sound SO yummy. I was craving Boston Cream Pie last week, but of course did not bake one.

      Delete
  6. Happy 1st Day of meteorological spring ;)

    The chicken dish does look good. I'm bookmarking the recipe and putting spinach on my grocery list. Thanks! I hope the exercises work for your vertigo. It's hard to do much when you're suffering from that, I know :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the recipe - let me know how the family enjoys. I have a lot nausea that goes with the vertigo so combined, I feel totally incapacitated some days.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear that the vertigo is still causing you problems and I hope it gets sorted soon. Thanks for the recipe link. I think that's one I'd like to try for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of the option of going to see a physio therapist that specializes in vestibular problems. I can make the appt. myself without a doctor's referral.

      Delete
  8. I'm really sad to read about the vertigo - and the nausea sounds terribly unpleasant :(. It must be so dispiriting ... Hoping that perseverance with the exercises brings you relief. How lovely to get those super comments on your cooking! And I am sure Ruth will be very pleased too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be trying Ruth's other recent recipe this week - Apricot Chicken.

      Delete
  9. I like your Monday format, Mary Lou, and keep up the quotes - today's had me chuckling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris & I am glad I could give you a chuckle :)

      Delete
  10. I, too, am sorry to hear about the ongoing vertigo and the associated side effects. That must be really difficult to handle. I think it is a good idea to talk with the doctor about it, again, and perhaps be seen in person for it. Hope you feel better, soon.

    Lots of special days to celebrate, this month! I've several family members celebrating their birthdays and thanks for the reminder to mail their cards in time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. With a renewed strictness about the exercise for my vertigo, I've seen a start to improvement - fingers crossed. Actually seeing my doctor is rather difficult with all the COVID & pandemic obstacles so I am thinking of trying an appointment with a physio therapist that specializes in vestibular treatments - my doctor does approve.

      Delete
  11. I am so sorry you are having such vertigo issues. I am sure you have tried Meclizine for dizziness. Have heard that issues with the crystals in the ears can be most unpleasant. Hope your issues are soon resolved.
    Your tomato-chicken-pasta dish looks like something out of a restaurant. Pretty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Meclizine would be a prescription medication, I'll run it by my doctor on our next phone appt. I have heard vertigo can go on for a long time & return after being gone for a while :(
      The recipe is on the menu again for next week by family demand.

      Delete
  12. Oh, that quote made me laugh! I do hope the vertigo gets better quickly. I definitely think all those celebrations require at least one cake baking this month. Happy March!

    ReplyDelete