Monday, August 16, 2021

Me On A Monday - August 16th

 

Good Morning.  I trust all is well with everyone.  

Currently Watching: more DVD's from the library; Brokenwood, series 5, this series just gets better & better; 800 Words, series 1, which we have seen before but now that the entire series are available we wanted to reacquaint ourselves with the story.  Mr Man enjoyed more than I did, series 2 is on order.

I've also watched, The Boleyns: A Scandalous Family & I cannot wait for the 2nd episode. 

Source: Internet

 

Currently Reading: just finished People You Meet On Vacation & Road Trip; both fall into the summer read category, IMO.  I am #1 in line at the library for Louise Penny's newest book, release date August 24th. In the meantime I'm currently re-reading some life motivating materials I have, it is after all a "new year" coming up for me & time to re-evaulate.

Currently Thinking: that our current Prime Minister, aka sock boy, is a misguided so & so for calling an election just 2 years into his minority government during a major world wide pandemic. He'll be sending us to the polls September 20th. Plus this election with cost the Canadian people millions because of all the extra safety health precautions needed to vote during a contiguous pandemic. Money we don't have!  I'll say no more.

Source: Internet & he certainly doesn't have his in a row

Currently Baking : this year's birthday cake will be a 3 layer carrot cake (with pineapple) with cream cheese frosting. While last year's Victoria Sponge was OK, it's not a repeat for me & I really wanted something with a WOW factor.  I may colour the cream cheese icing pink ... something like this perhaps ...

Source: Internet

Currently Enjoying: the cooler less humidity.  We had a week of extreme heat & humidity & in spite of living/working in air conditioning, I still found the humidity to be so draining. Friday night a cooler weather front moved in & all weekend during the day I had the a/c turned off & windows wide open.  The cooler fresh air had the cats excited & they were wild beasts.

And I'll leave you with this thought ... it's probably my age that has tricked people into believing I am an adult.  😍

 


22 comments:

  1. That cake sounds delicious, and is so pretty.
    Our book club is currently reading The Personal Librarian which I am really enjoying. It's not a book I would have chosen if let loose in a bookshop, and that's what I love about a book club, it encourages you to try different things.
    I love that last sentence in your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb I'll check out this book you recommended. I am most hopeful the carrot cake turns out as it has in my mind!

      Delete
  2. 800 words isn't a programme I'm familiar with but I've just read a summary and think I may try to get hold of a set, just to see if I like it. I'm planning to watch the Anne Boleyn on iPlayer some time this week.

    The cake looks delicious and pink icing is a must. I'm not sure when your birthday is so I'll wish you a very Happy Birthday now ... so I don't forget 🍰🎂🧁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, my birthday is Tuesday 17th. I was very impressed with all the history in the Anne Boleyn saga, it's a documentary of sorts, not a show trying to re-write history.

      Delete
  3. I like Brokenwood well enough although it isn't near the top of my list. 800 Words is okay, but my wife doesn't like how silly it (and other comedies) can be.

    As for the election, I don't think too many of us are happy about it, but I am certainly not going to vote for either of the other two guys in some sort of protest. I can't imagine the state we would have been in with either of them in charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 800 Words had me yelling at the characters a lot! It was just too silly for me. As for the election, I just don't know as I don't think any of them deserve my vote, but it certainly won't be sock boy (but you knew that already (lol)).

      Delete
  4. Would love to know what you thought of The People You Meet on Vacation. It's in a pile on my nightstand. I hope you have a wonderful birthday. That cake, alone, will make it a special day. I'm with you on the weather (and ours is almost always similar to yours.) It was SO hot and humid when our grandchildren were visiting, but luckily they had three great opportunities to cool off. Now we're all at a lake in Michigan and the weather is perfect--cool at night and in the morning, and warm enough to swim in the lake by early afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard this morning that we are returning to hot & humid, so being near the lake will be perfect for your holiday. Enjoy the swimming :)

      Delete
  5. That's a very pretty cake! And wishing you a Very Happy Birthday for tomorrow :). I've just read about the election there in our press - what a time to choose, especially if it's timed just to try and keep you in power. I loved your photo of his socks and your last line made me splurt out my mouthful of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope that the tea wasn't too hot (col). Early on our current Prime Minister wanted to have a stix, so he came up with socks ... I would have thought good governing would be a better thing to be known for, but I'm not a Politician. My cake has become only 2 layers, which I may slice into 4 ...

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed Brokenwood, too. I'm unfamiliar with 800 words.

    "Sock boy" lol Your birthday cake idea sounds delicious. I'm never creative with cake, but you may inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 800 Words isn't a favourite, but I may change my opinion with Season 2. I am a firm believer that there must be cake or a cupcake for birthdays because where else would you put the candles for wishing?

      Delete
  7. I like the saying on your garden sign! In fact, you might have given me an idea about a Christmas gift! :D

    Happy birthday for tomorrow! Wish you all the best in good health and happiness. Carrot cake sounds delicious and pink tinted frosting would be just the right touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless, that sign was a gift a few years ago & it gets moved around quite a bit. Thank you for the birthday wishes.

      Delete
    2. Thought I'd let you know that I made the gift I had in mind! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

      Delete
    3. You are most welcome - I hope you'll post a photo :)

      Delete
  8. Watching Brokenwood, series 6, as we speak - or will tonight. I liked 800 words so will look for the next season at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just ordered series 6 for Brokenwood. I am hopeful series 2 of 800 Words picks things up for me, but if not, at least I did not invest any $$. Makes me more thankful for the library system. We would have liked more series of Newton's Law, not sure why they only made 1 season it.

      Delete
  9. Happy belated birthday! I hope your cake was every bit as lovely as the once you've showcased.
    I'm another who'll take the book rec from Deb, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the B-day wishes. The cake was delicious, I've now removed the icing from 3/4 of it to freeze for another time.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I hope you're having a wonderful birthday week & that you'll share how your cake turned out.

    It's only 95 (F) here today, but it feels like 106 ... so I really can't relate to the word "cooler" except when it comes to indoors. :)

    I haven't heard much about the called election (there's enough in the news here to keep me just barely scrolling headlines before rushing to my craft room). It does seem like a terrible time for something that wasn't already scheduled. We've had several elections during the pandemic, but we only voted in the Presidential one on an early voting day with no line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful birthday Melissa, thank you. I just cannot watch or listen to any news right now, it weighs me down & I'm already feeling heavy from the pandemic dire news. Crafting is a balm to my worry.

      Delete