Monday, December 05, 2022

Me On A Monday - December 5th

  

SOURCE: Internet

Good Morning.  Oh such a week of stories & drama.  I often feel like we are being driven by the " distraction news".  But that's not why you are reading here today ... 

Currently Reading:  I'm enjoying the slow read of Christmas Days; 12 Stories, 12 Feasts for 12 days.  I'm not sure if, when I originally read this passage last year, it resonated with me as it does this year.   "because ritual has an anticipatory relevance - we prepare for it, practically & psychologically, that's part of its benefit. It's about making your own raft of time, our own doorway into Christmas. Ritual isn't about multitasking.  Ritual is time cut out of time."

And speaking to that, I started Louise Penny's latest book "A World of CuriositiesPOSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT, but not.... on page 25 at the top of the page is written a date, December 6th, 1989.  It was at that point until the end of page 31 that I cried, I sobbed.  This book's story isn't about what happened on this date, it's a piece of a backdrop.You can read more here: December 6th 1989 Polytechnique.  I do mark the day every year with the reading of  & saying their names aloud. Remembering & ritual do have a reverence. 

I also got from the library Jamie Oliver's Christmas Cookbook, which was suggested by another Ontario blogger, Sarah in Toronto.  I have copied down several vegetable recipes which include 4 new to me, ways to prepare brussel sprouts - a must have for us at Christmas.

Currently More Vaccine Jabs:  Mr Man & I were able to get our latest Covid Omicron specific booster jab.  Mr Man had a rough couple of days with the jab, very achy all over.  Surprisingly this time for me, it was & still is, a really tender sore spot at the needle sight, but not the days of stiffness I had previously experienced. 

Currently Decorating:  Both Christmas trees are done.  Our main tree is in the opening between the living (lounge) room & dining room. I decorate the living room side with a theme of angels & love,  the  dining room side has a this is our life theme. Haven't decided on a special ornament for 2022.  Of course, in the family room is the other tree, devoted to horses.  Your tree decorating all done?

This year, against my own policy of NO MORE Christmas decorations, I added to our decorations with two glass table top Christmas trees that light up with twinkly lights inside & when I first saw them, immediately a dining room table display appeared in my mind. I like even more because I got them as a sale item because the packaging was damaged. Lots of glass or crystal & silver candle holders are included in my vision.  Years ago when I was doing ceramics, I made a large white twig sleigh - this features as the centre piece & everything else is around it.  The sleigh is filled with little decorative presents.  Once we get some sunny or bright days, I will take a photo of it.  This is a photo of the glass trees from the Internet, not my table decoration.

SOURCE: Internet
 Currently Watching: We kicked off our Christmas movie watching with "Love Actually"  this movie still holds its own & I always have a little tear near the end.  If you haven't watched this movie - I do suggest it.  I think one of my favourite bits in the movie is Hugh Grant's dance. 

And I'll leave you with this thought ... "think how much more interesting the news coverage would be if a liar's pants really did catch on fire!"


24 comments:

  1. I think we all smile when we see that dance in Love Actually! Every time I hear that song I think of Hugh Grant.
    I really do need to get our decorations out, I am being put to shame by everyone else making their house festive. I love those glass trees, definitely worth breaking your 'no more ...' rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night I stood for several minutes just staring at the lit up glass trees, the "dancing sparkles" inside the tree are so pretty & they make me happy. I am most pleased with my breaking of the no more Christmas decorations rule.

      Delete
  2. Can't read the new Louise Penny until I read the previous one! That will be awhile. I'm currently working my way through the books Sarah loaned me in October! All the library books that came in on hold have consumed my reading time until now. Yes, our tree is up, and I love the beautiful lights all day long as well as at night. Hoping to see YOUR crystal trees soon! We recently had two excellent vegetarian meals from the Smitten Kitchen: Keepers cookbook I have on loan from the library. My husband is definitely NOT a fan of vegetarian, but gave his approval to both. He'll see them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put Smitten Kitchen Keepers cookbook on reserve at the library - I'm #29 in waiting. I have to pause on several of my library requests as I have a stack of 5 that all came in at once, so I must get those read in the 3 weeks allowed. One may not get finished, it's rather a text book read ...

      Delete
  3. I got the flu vaccine and covid booster on the same day and only had some minor arm soreness. I got lucky, it seems.

    I never did like Love Actually, and I could go on and on about all the reasons for that (which nobody wants to hear lol). I prefer While You Were Sleeping and The Holiday if I'm watching one of the modern romantic comedies.

    I have "collected" a few little trees through the years, and I've started leaving a shelf for them out all year. We have one tabletop tree we decorate with ornaments from years past and one little pink tree with silver tinsel and balls.

    Oh, I'd love news like that lol It'd be nice if people recognized that people can be wrong without lying. You can tell the difference if they correct themselves in the face of changing information.

    I love that cute mug at the top of your post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some interesting out all year collections that have been Christmasfied. Some are so creative. Oh a pink tree would be high on my list of must have. Misinformed & lying are definitely two separate things IMO.

      Delete
  4. I've started watching Christmas films as well. I like Love Actually but haven't watched it yet this year ... the dance scene is my favourite but too. So far I've watched The Holiday, Last Christmas, and It's A Wonderful Life which is probably my favourite Christmas film of all time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last Christmas will be watched this weekend. This one makes me cry & cry even when I know the ending.

      Delete
  5. The dance scene is very good! I saw an interview with HG where he said that he refused to rehearse that scene because he found it so awfully embarrassing ... so he just went for it for the take (directed or improvised I don't know). It's definitely a high point.
    No tree or other decs here yet - not till a day or two before 25th - but you know that. I have made a huge effort and spent all weekend on card and letter writing. It all needs extra time this year as we have postal strikes throughout the month, including 23rd and 24th. We had two last week and my weekly magazine was exactly a week late, so there is already a backlog, and the volume of post as the month goes on is only going to increase. I hope to get to the post office tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's certainly a bother having rotating mail strikes at a time of year when probably is the most cards & letters get sent. All my cards went in the mail last week, so maybe I'll get lucky & have mine UK ones delivered in time :)
      I listened to an interview with Hugh & the director on the 20th anniversary of the movie coming out - The director said Hugh was QUITE GRUMPY about having to do the dance.

      Delete
  6. Glad you've both had your Covid vaccines and I am especially glad that you haven't had any major side effects from it. Sounds like you are all ready for Christmas with your trees decorated and everything! I'm afraid I have not done anything yet! I think I'll start next weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to get the flu & Covid jabs at different times, I just wouldn't want to try to deal with any after affects of both, but that's me. Having the Christmas trees up helps Mr Man get into the season, especially since at this moment there's no snow, he needs snow.

      Delete
  7. We have the audible version of A World of Curiosities, but it would be difficult for us both to listen at the same time on our separate devices. Too bad that, but we can soon start watching the new Three Pines on Prime. We just have to finish up a few programs first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once Sue is finished, I'd be interested to know what she thought of this book. I have been reading some of the comments about Three Pines on the Louise Penny fan F/B page. We don't subscribe to Prime :(

      Delete
  8. I love the quote! The book is under the tree for my birthday. Well, it will be! We're going to watch Three Pines after we finish our current series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a quote that certainly had me pause. I am definitely trying to make a raft of time, of being present in the now during this festive season. I'm trying to find a friend that has Prime, maybe she can share the experience with me (lol).

      Delete
  9. My favourite Christmas movie too. I especially like the "All I Want for Christmas" rendition. Can't wait to get the latest Louise Penny book but I bet there will be a long waiting list at the library. Maybe Santa will put it in my stocking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was #1 on the waiting list for Louise's latest, I see now that there are 196 waiting! One of my other new Christmas favourites is Last Christmas ... a sad but happy movie.

      Delete
  10. This is the year that we introduce The Boy to Love Actually and I am excited for him to see it!

    You should check out Modern Mrs Darcy re Louise Penny ... https://modernmrsdarcy.com/357-episode/ ... and you can listen to the whole thing via Spotify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to Mrs Darcy talking about Louise Penny. It will be interesting to hear what TB's take on Love Actually is & if he likes.

      Delete
  11. You seem very well ahead in the Christmas preparation stakes - I am barely off the starting blocks. Such lovely crystal trees ... I am delighted to read there is another Inspector Gamache story out (having learned of him from your blog and read all of them in the last six months - huge gratitude to you) and have earmarked it for reading in Betwixtmas when all our visitors have returned to their homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexa how wonderful to see you visit. We miss you. The crystal trees are going through batteries rather quickly, so I am restricting the length of time they are turned on. Glad you are enjoying the Inspector Gamache series - he has become a Canadian national treasure of sorts. Happy Christmas to you & yours.

      Delete
  12. Our decorating is done, but seeing those lovely crystal trees means I might be re-tempted to add a little something new this year, even though we need nothing else. Better distract myself quick.

    Isn't it sad that there are so many of those mass shooting to be remembered and so many to mourn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO enjoying these crystal trees. At night after dinner, I move one out of the table set up & put into the living room with my nativity set up - yes yes I know that the original did not have any lit Christmas trees (col), I am taking decorators license to add :)

      Delete