Monday, May 08, 2023

Me On A Monday - May 8th

 Good Morning!  

What a fabulous coronation, I enjoyed every moment of it. I was up at 4:30am to make scones & a large pot of tea & settle in for 4 hours of viewing.  I ate far too many scones; all with clotted cream & jam! I taped the whole event & have already re-watched several highlight moments.  


I thought The Princess of Wales made an excellent head piece substitute for the tiara, with Princess Charlotte having a similar head piece as did Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh.   I missed all the bling of tiaras.  

Source: Internet

But for me the star of the coronation service, was Princess Anne, The Princess Royal's hat & feather. The feather now rivals the candle placement from the late Queen's funeral.  Oh the memes for the feather have been fast & funny.

Source: Internet

My second most favourite moment was Penny Mordaunt, Lord President of the Council & Portsmouth North MP, holding & carrying the sword for the full length of time of the coronation service - well done, kudos to her training! Her outfit was also a stand out, excellent choice in styling & colour.  

 

Source: Internet

It was a glorious & happy moment in history.

Currently Fox Watch: has ended, the family have moved on, as it should be, but I'm still sadden by this.

Currently Reading: The Woman With The Cure (thanks Deb for this recommendation).  I am liking the flow of the story & it has me pausing to check online some facts about the polio pandemic.  Also reading, A Town Like Alice (thanks Ruth for this recommendation). I could have sworn I had read this book, but turns out I have not, so what other Alice book am I confusing this with.  Again another story that has me checking on facts.  I really enjoy books that not only captivate me, but teach me & have me interested enough to read further on the subject(s). 

Currently Pleased: that in my stash of scrap book paper, I have found two sheets that will work for my pages for the coronation layout. One sheet is crowns in rows & one sheet has big crowns within some words, that I'll be able to fussy cut out.  Having the stash certainly has paid for itself with these two finds (lol). 

And now I'm off to put away my tiara & deal with my glorious & happy downstairs life - happy week to everyone.




20 comments:

  1. It was a lovely ceremony wasn't it? He looked quite emotional as the time went on and I was so relieved that it all went off without a hitch. It was nice to know that you were witnessing a little piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been emotional - training for his whole life for this moment. I am glad I was able to witness a piece of history.

      Delete
  2. It was a wonderful ceremony to watch, wasn't it? I stayed up all night to watch!
    Glad to hear that the fox family have moved on; hope the kits will thrive wherever they are now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hope is that each kit makes it & goes on to have their own family. Shamefully, fox hunting is still allowed here but there has been a new call to band.

      Delete
  3. A few gatherings happened here, but I didn’t get around to either watching or attending parties afterward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fabulous ceremony & I heard from a few friends that said they were surprised by all the "religious stuff" to which I calmly explained, that's the whole point of the ceremony. Mind you all the other stuff outside of the abbey were certainly splendid examples of pageantry, IMO.

      Delete
  4. I watched it, too, though I wasn't up early enough to see it all live. They did make quite a show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All done so well. Afterwards a number of YouTube videos were surfacing of some scary horse moments; a few were spoked by the rain, noise & crowds cheering. Horses are a flight prey animal so if feeling spoked, with "run" from what frightens them.

      Delete
  5. What a superb weekend for us - I thought about you a lot during the Coronation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ruth what a kind thing to say. I SO enjoyed the coronation & just wish I had a few more liked minded friends. My best friend & I had a long phone chat afterwards. She lives in a different time zone, so I had to wait until she woke up before we could talk about it all :)

      Delete
  6. Well, that is who that was! The sword woman really made me curious, but I didn't find out who she was. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service. I watch a lot of British news shows, so some faces I knew. I chuckled at the parade of past British PM's coming into the abbey. The parade of Commonwealth leaders coming into the abbey was interesting; I think Sophie Trudeau looked very nice.

      Delete
  7. I didn't get up quite so early, but I enjoyed what I saw. It was magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was magnificent wasn't it. All the military uniforms with their new insignia on, the horses all gleaming; pageantry at its finest.

      Delete
  8. Penny Mordaunt ran for PM last year - we got Truss instead. Had things been different she might have been reading the epistle, and someone else bearing the sword. She did an amazing job; apparently she strengthened her arms by doing press-ups, but I don't know how she stood all that time in heels!
    Oh gosh 4.30 am to bake scones? I'd definitely have done them the night before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like fresh warm scones (col). Maybe Penny not getting PM is one of those things that turn out when it seems it doesn't. I wonder if she, Penny, will try again? I don't know a lot about her political views. Yes standing in heels all that time was a real test, I could not have done it. Interesting having Rishi Sunak read from the bible.

      Delete
  9. I was at the hairdressers and got back just in time to see the King being crowned. I recorded it all so could catch up with everything I'd missed. It was lovely being able to witness a little piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much going on in our area that day & not all related to the coronation. I had forgotten it was national scrapbooking day.

      Delete
  10. There's something about Princess Anne that is regal in her own way, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of my favourite royals; she's hard working, no no-nonsense (very much like her father in that regard) & we share the horse passion :)

      Delete