Monday, March 18, 2024

Me On A Monday - March 18th



Good Morning all.  What a change in weather, one day we are breaking temperature high records for that March day & then it's cold, windy & snow flurries.  I cannot keep up. Thankfully being a life time Ontario resident, I know this time of year is all about dressing in layers as the temperatures & weather change multiply times in one day.

Currently Watching: we finished easily the one series wonder, Chasing Shadows.  We are so disappointed that there wasn't a second series. We have watched series one of Trial & Retribution.  We will give a look to series 2.

Currently Reading: started The Recipe Box.  I'm having trouble connecting to the main character in what seems like such a predictable plot. I will continue on with hopes of being engaged.  Just a few pages left to read for No Two People, and then I have a blank time of books waiting at the library.  I do have about 4-5 books on my "holds" list but either the books are newly published & the library is waiting to get their copies or in the case of two books, very popular & a long list of waiting.

Currently 100 Day Project: still doing a little bit of crafting each day, but plan on some chunks of time this week as I have some birthday cards to make & get in the mail.  I've kind of stalled on a few of the other PHDs, one that is easy - the labeling the year of past albums.  I'm still not sure if I like the stamped year label or the printed out on the computer label.  I want a unified look.  The Covid album is now sorted into a box that has all the photos, paper & embellishments that I am going to use.  I think there are 7 pages to finish. I was very glad at the time that I had made lots of notes about the what, the why & the feelings that go with some of the photos, so those pages should be easy to finish.  I now feel that it was a wise decision to abandon a whole bunch of photos & paper clippings that would just add bulk but no real weight to my Covid pandemic story.  

Currently Intrigued: I read an article from a decorating site that talks about HUSHING your home.  The thought is that you do one room at a time & other than heavy furniture pieces, you take everything out of the room, that is hushing the room - store everything elsewhere from the room & leave empty for 24 -48 hours. Then you return to the room, sit in the room & decide what you really want to put back. What you don't want back in the room, you get rid of.  Here' a link to an article about Home Hushing Trend

 I also listened to a podcast from a woman that is an experienced declutter-er. She said often where people get stuck or stalled or give up at is when there are too many decisions to make.  She gave the example that perhaps you have 25 items in a pile of decision; keep, give away. Her example was of that 25-item pile what were the things she really wanted to keep. For her there were 3 things she wanted to keep, so that reduced the decision making of not having to decide about each of the items. Once she picked the 3 items (3 decisions) the rest was no decision other than where to get rid of.   

Not sure either of these methods are for me, maybe, but I do find it interesting to think about things differently.

I'll leave you with a decluttering thought from one of the decluttering experts ... your home is not a storage unit. 


11 comments:

  1. I think Trial & Retribution is the series that I didn't like, but I maybe I have got the wrong one in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a good start for Mr Man. He did not like the end of the first series & he hopes that the next series will have a better, more satisfying ending. I wish Brit Box had Law & Order UK - that was an excellent series IMO.

      Delete
  2. Decluttering is an excellent thing to do. I am trying... 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think decluttering is ongoing for most people - slow & steady win the race. :)

      Delete
  3. I'll follow up on that Home Hushing link, but my immediate question is this - where do you store the stuff you took out of the room and for that period of time?
    I've often thought that I'd make a great professional declutterer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very organized so I agree you could help those in need of a good clear out. I think the stuff from the hushing room just temporarily lives in another room.

      Delete
  4. I follow the person who helps on a TV programme called 'Sort your life out' where they take everything out of the house and move it into a warehouse where they have to reduce it all by half - what a challenge. But what a difference when they move back in to a decluttered home! She is Dilly Carter and her Instagram name is declutterdollies and she has such good advice e.g. you buy a new t shirt, one old t shirt has to go ... I think of her rules when I go shopping now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall read that Home Hushing link, but, I know that I will most probably not remove everything from my rooms! I've done that, once or twice in the past because I was having the carpets removed and hardwood floors refinished or because I was painting the rooms or moving rooms. Very few things got decluttered as a result. However, I have heard about choosing what to keep and getting rid of the rest method of decluttering. You select the books you want to keep and donate the rest. You keep the clothes you want to wear and get rid of the rest. I think, for me, that would work best if I had to downsize or relocate. I'll select what I want to take with me and the rest would have to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in hushing a room, the furniture stays, it is just the soft furnishings & such that are hushed & decided upon. There are so many experts with advice, it can be fun to go through to find "your" method, your style that works for you. :)

      Delete
  6. I recently finished The Recipe Box, and wasn't much impressed. Since then I've read two I can recommend: After Annie and The Great Divide. They're both recently published, but I managed to snag the second one at the library. I had preordered the Anna Quindlen book as I was quite sure I'd like it and I knew Sarah would be happy to get it. I got a chuckle from the last decluttering quote, but I can't quite wrap my head around, taking everything out of a room for 24-48 hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the book referrals. I finished No Two People & I really liked, I think I would re-read in a year or so. Glad I'm not the only one not impressed with The Recipe Box. I think in hushing a room it is only the soft furnishings, not the furniture.

      Delete