Thursday, December 13, 2018

Take Three Thursday - Watching

In an effort to notice more of the ordinary in my life, I have decided to share what I have noticed this week in Take Three Thursday.   The idea is to take 1 - 3 photos that are linked some how; by theme, by colour, by date, by moment,  by points of view. There is no formal link in but please feel free to join in.   

This week I've noticed which of my Christmas movies seem to pair well.  All of these movies come from a long family history.  My Grandmother is the one that started with the class black & white movies & then my Mother added hers to the list & every few years a family classic gets added to the list of our traditional must watch at Christmas time movie list.  What are your must watch Christmas movies?

These are the ones that I have watched so far this season.  The first pair are: Bill Murray in Scrooged, a take on Dicken's A Christmas Carol.   Carol Kane as the Fairy of Christmas Present is some of the funniest parts ... this movie is not for kids.  The other is Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation - glad I don't live next door to Clark Griswold.



The second set that I think go well together are two originals both in black & white movies:  Miracle on 34th Street - it's all about the Christmas believing magic.  The second in this pairing is about the magic of Christmas prayers; The Bishop's Wife.






And the third pairing are all about the curtain pulled back on Santa



I know that many consider It's A Wonderful Life as a must see during the holidays, but neither Mr Man or I really think George Bailey had a wonderful life - all those around him because of him in many ways had a wonderful life, but not poor old George.  

And moving just outside of the threesome of Thursday, a must see on Christmas Eve is A Christmas Carol, black & white with Alister Sims as Scrooge.  Near the end after all three visits if you watch you will notice the stage hand in the mirror when Scrooge is checking himself out after the visit of the 3 ghosts.  Film history!

14 comments:

  1. I would agree with you on Christmas Vacation. We also always watch the traditional Alister Sim's A Christmas Carol. Haven't started watching any yet. I think we may wait until daughter is home. I've never actually seen Scrooged! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I think you have to be a Bill Murray fan to truly enjoy Scrooged, it has no swearing but still little too much for young kids. Christmas Vacation has so many quoted lines.

      Delete
  2. We don't have any must watch Christmas films, but we like The Polar Express, Arthur Christmas and Miracle on 34st Street with Richard Attenborough. We've just watched The Christmas Chronicles with Kurt Russell and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check out the Christmas Chronicles, thanks. While I like Richard Attenborough, I just couldn't move into making this version a classic. Polar Express is another favourite, we ususally pair that with the Christmas Story (RedRider BB gun as we call it).

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen either of those first two, but I've seen both of the second two. I've seen The Santa Clause, which we didn't expect to like but did. We thought it was cute :) I'm looking up Arthur Christmas, which I've never heard of. I'm always in the market for new Christmas movies. It looks like something we might like. Thx! I completely agree with you about It's A Wonderful Life. I used to suffer in silence because everybody else liked it, but those days are gone ;) The Alastair Sim Scrooge is priceless! Yes, definitely a must-see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas Vacation has many quotable lines & moments. Clark Griswold is either you hate or love - Russ the long suffering son is played by a young Johnny Galecki of Big Bang fame. Scrooged is on the edge, very typical Bill Murray.

      Delete
  4. My one and only favourite Christmas movie is "Love, Actually". I have my own copy (watched it last night) and it always makes me cry at the end! I will probably watch it again before the big day. I watched "Elf" with my grandkids last week and it is very silly. They liked it though - even the 12 year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we like Love Actually, not sure which other of our many I would pair with. Not a fan of Elf at all & I know I'm in the minority on that.

      Delete
  5. National Lampoon Christmas Vacation is still one of my favourite comedy Christmas films - you can't help but have a soft spot for Clark can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clark & the long suffering of his family. I totally get his wanting to make a perfect Christmas, just thinking of some of the scenes makes me smile.

      Delete
  6. I've recently watched Arthur Christmas for the first time ever and will add it to my list of films to watch. My personal favourites are Scrooge (b/w version starring Alasdair Sim), The Muppet Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Eileen I'm glad you liked Arthur Christmas. I don't think I've seen the Muppet Christmas ... must look for that one. While I don't think George had such a wonderful, I do watch this movie & I admit to wanting justice for George that Mr Potter got away with stealing the money ...

      Delete
  7. My favourites are The Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation.
    Almost everyone in our home likes a different Christmas movie, so we watch quite a few over the holidays.
    You had mentioned that to attend the Crop & Create event it would take you 2 hours to get to Toronto...we travel 8 hours to attend the Winnipeg event, teehee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - you are a dedicated scrapper. I see from your haul post that those 8 years are well worth it! The Christmas Story (The bb gun) I can watch every few years, I don't put on the yearly list.

      Delete