Monday, January 21, 2019

Me On A Monday


Currently: I am in recovery mode.  I spent most of last week laid up with a painful injury & taking lots of pain & anti-inflammatory medication.  If I missed visiting your blog, I apologize, sometimes the pain was a little more than I was comfortable with. Sometimes with lots of medication I may not have been at my best to make comments! Most days I had a narrow window of being upright as sitting impossible, standing painful.  But I'm much better now.  So, let's begin again...

Currently ReadingThe More Of  Less & New Minimalism.

 Design Your Next Chapter, by Debbie Travis, a decorating icon in Canada, who now owns a retreat centre in Tuscany Italy.
 What Alice Forgot;


I read Designing Your Next Chapter first as it was an inter library loan & it needed to be returned within 10 days of pick up.  The book that has surprised me the most is the New Minimalism.  It was a second choice to fill a question but turns out, very well presented with lots of nice photos.  These two ladies have, I think, blended very nicely several of the latest & previous styles of de-cluttering & minimizing your belongings.  It read quite easily & flowed in thought.  They write as if talking to friends  I picked up several ideas & quotes.  I'm just starting What Alice Forgot.

Current Weather: we are in a January deep freeze with wind chill temperatures of -28 (c) - this type of cold can cause frost bite within 5 minutes of exposure.  I think my St Fiacre statue (parton saint of gardeners) was shivering in the cold.


Currently Thinking: a lot & reading on how to set goals for myself, & for our little family in 2019. Trying to include my OLW into this.

I recently read someone's blog post about setting goals & it was like a shock going through me when I said aloud "ah ha, that's what is missing from my to do goal list"  This person, who's blog is not one I have read before this post, & here's the sad part, I cannot remember who's blog it was on!   This brilliant, yet ever so so simple idea was that she posted her list with a goal intention of why she was putting the item on her 2019 to do list. So right now I can only send out my thanks via The Universe to her for this brilliant, usable & simple idea.  So I have now listed an intention with all of my nine goals for 2019 (I did try to come up with 19 goals but 9 are reasonable & doable).

Currently Putting Knowledge Into Action:  Previously I would put on my goal list something like "use up scrapping stash" or "sort scrapping stash" with out stating (or maybe even really thinking about) the result I was looking for.  No specifics, no time line, no steps needed to achieve the goal. Just some loose goal - use up stash ...  So now my 2019 list has the goal with a stated end result intention I'm looking for, along with at least 3 steps to achieve.
Sketch Stash
Example: Reduce Scrapping Stash: Intention: the goal is to reduce the amount of paper storage I require.  To feel less guilty about the amount of money I have spent. To use the products to make the pages that I took those photos for.  Step One: Make Up Page Kits From Stash: I plan to make 12 page kits from the stash for my garden album by end of March. I have made two so far;  injury (life) got in the way of goals (plans).  Step 1a:  is to sort paper into season; i.e. snowy related product; colour co-ordinate; local / sort embellishments; Step 1b: put in 12X12 sleeves with photos or list of photos needed. Step 1c:  Pick 1 or 2 sketch layout for each month which allows variance & idea of how to lay out papers, embellishments & photos. 
For January


For February


I am definitely using my OLW of Focus on this goal, which ties in with my January Angel Thought of  Surrender & Release.  I'm releasing the old way of doing goals, I'm surrendering the fear of using that special paper in case one day I find a really special idea for using it.  Now is that time for special paper use on current layouts.
  
What about you - how are you doing with your 2019 goals or resolutions?  Settling in with your One Little Word?

"Every morning is a new beginning, a chance to try again, to start over." 
 

21 comments:

  1. I do hope you're feeling better today? You seem to have a lot going on that will you busy at home and out of the cold ... -29? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is painful to take deep breathes outside, so any walking outside to the mail box can wait - mid week should see a break in the temperatures. OH so much to do inside :)

      Delete
  2. Minus 28? Ouch! And there was me moaning about zero! I can't imagine what that kind of cold feels like.
    Hope you are soon feeling more mobile and pain free, it must be so uncomfortable, don't we take our backs and joints for granted when they are working well? Do take care and do some gentle rehab.
    I like your idea re goals and plans, it makes sense to state a reason for the goal and then the steps you'll take to achieve it.
    I've read a few of Liane Moriaty books but not What Alice Forgot, I may have to add it to my 'to read' list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't my back but my piriformis & thigh - acute inflammation affecting the sciatica nerve from a fall/blow. What Alice Forgot has been made into a movie. Always at the start of the new year, so many ideas of how to make this year better ...

      Delete
  3. I do hope you are feeling better. Pain is no fun at all. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jenn you are so right, pain really clouded my judgement & focus.

      Delete
  4. I do hope you are feeling better! Despite being away I have made some progress on my 2019 goals. I think you'll find using up your scrapbook paper very satisfying. I have almost all my supplies organized now by theme rather than color or size. Has worked well for over a year. Very cold here as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all my gardening scrap supplies in season categories which has helped ... I am trying not to get myself over whelmed with all the stuff.

      Delete
  5. I have to agree that if you know the "why" behind your goals and it is a why that you really believe in, it is much easier to stay motivated. Most of my whys have been outlined in journaling for OLW or in the reflections to decide on my word.

    I do hope you feel better soon and that the cold snap dissipates. It is 5 degrees here today (-15c) and I am NOT a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked your goal layout & I think you are very clear on why & what it is you want to achieve this year. Bravo you Cheri. I am not a fan of such cold, but at least there's sun shine :)

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry you've been in so much pain, and I hope you recover soon. I've been complaining about having lows in the 20s here, so I'm thinking I'd never venture out at all in your winters. I like your steps towards goals. I've been trying to be similarly specific with my exercise goals, and it's helping me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your well wishes. I was feeling so much better today & I think I've done a little too much, so ice ice ice & rest for the evening. I am trying to be much more specific & make those intentions clear to myself, otherwise I think I'll just be seeing the same goals on next year's list. Good luck with the exercise goals - I find winter the hardest time to "get moving & pull the thumb out" ...

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed the ideas of your decluttering. We have started a bit on our plans for 2019 - to organize allllll those dishes and get photos of each set - and let go of some that have not seen the light of day for years now. But our son and family from West Virginia is coming for a week visit, so we'll get on with our project after that. I always feel happier after a good project. Have a grand week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn you do have some beautiful & interesting dish collections. I imagine to release them would be a very hard decision. I just try to think when deciding to release some items, it once made me happy (that's why I bought it) but now time to let someone else find the joy. I hope you have a wonderful visit with your son & family.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep well and stay warm, Mary-Lou! This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are recovering. Sounds painful so take it slowly and don't overdo it too soon. Your projects and stated intentions sound great. I always feel so much more relaxed when I can tackle some of my accumulated "stuff"! Well done you!
    PS. Your snow photos look a lot like the view from my window at the moment. Big dump of the white stuff suddenly this afternoon. Huge flakes, falling slowly. I looked out of the window a few times and it didn't seem to be settling so I was quite surprised when I stepped outside at 6pm to find a winter wonderland! Very pretty but no roads gritted so appalling traffic and some scary moments. Took me an hour to get home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Ella ... too much stuff & untidiness can really get me down & caused my brain to flutter in all directions. We woke to more snow - it's so pretty when freshly fallen especially when viewed from inside. Driving in it changes my perspective quickly. Ours is do to change to freezing rain :(

      Delete
  11. Sorry to hear you've not been well, hope you continue to recover.

    I always put intentions and what I will view as success for all goals - makes it easier to see if I've done what I wanted, and avoid 'scope creep' where you feel guilty that you didn't get stuff done you hadn't planned!

    Interesting to see the book choices, I'll add the to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding there are SO many ways people are achieving success with their goal setting. I'll be very interested to see theirs (& mine) come maybe September, how did those goals work out ...

      Delete