Monday, January 23, 2023

Me On A Monday - January 23rd

 


Good morning.  It snowed Sunday afternoon well into the evening. It was what we call Christmas Eve snow - gentle & pretty.  And as I write this post this morning, I hear hear the snow plough going around to clear the road. Being that we live on a road that is designated as a school bus route, we can usually guarantee an early clearing.

Currently Reading: waiting for several books to arrive at the library for me.  This break in my supply will  have my goal of a book a week starting to slide.  I have requested a few new to me authors including  "Remarkably Bright Creatures" by Shelby Van Pelt. I am also waiting on a Debbie Macomber Cedar Cove book. Has anyone read either of these books/series?

Currently Watching:  We watched through Brit Box, Karen Pirie, which we both liked.  I am most hopeful that ITV will commission series 2 for Karen Pirie. We really like her (work) partner, DC Jason Murray (Chris Jenks) & her girlfriend, flatmate, River.  We just started DCI Bandcroft.  If ever AC12 was needed, it is for this DCI. (those that watch Line of Duty will understand... wink wink)

We tried watching Hope Street, got to episode 5 & said in agreement no more. 

Currently Preparing: my mind set for a doctor's appointment tomorrow for the first of two shingles vaccine jabs. My doctor is catching up with many regular vaccines that took a back seat during the pandemic.  The nurse "warned" me that  it can be a painful jab & can cause some swelling & stiffness afterwards.  I did have chickenpox as a child; mandatory vaccination had not come into play when I was a child.  Shingles is a very painful, nasty disease for anyone that has had chickenpox.  This virus can lay dormant for years & years. Stress is a major factor in awakening the virus, well at least that's what my doctor says.  Mandatory vaccination against chickenpox came into to play in 2010 for all Ontario school aged children, which was added to the list of already required vaccinations;  diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio, measles, mumps, measles, rubella, meningococcal.  Let's hope that I'm one of those that have no affects from the jab.  I'm due a tetanus booster in the summer.  Already I'm feeling like a pincushion.

Well it's a little later than normal for me to be posting, already running behind, so on wards for the day.  I hope everyone has a stellar week.  See you for some wisdom on Wednesday.




 

22 comments:

  1. A pretty snow sounds like fun :) We liked Karen Pirie, too. We got the shingles vaccine as soon as were were old enough. Shingles is not to be trifled with. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was the age requirement because of your health unit's requirements? We don't have a minimum or maximum age requirement, although after age 70 you have to pay for the shingles jab. Doctor said there's been a real surge in a rise in shingles cases in the 30 year olds (I'm not in the age group either)

      Delete
  2. I don't think I have watched any of those TV shows ... and as it happens, I have a post about what I am watching going live tomorrow.
    I've not read either of those books you mention either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might enjoy Karen Pirie & DCI Bancroft. Both rake up things from cold cases. So far The Victim has been the one that has us talking the most.

      Delete
  3. Hope your appointment with the doctor goes well, tomorrow. I had chicken pox as an adult (in my 30s!) and should get the shingles vaccine; I've been putting it off! Hope you don't get any side effects from the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to my Doctor, shingles is a critical one to get as adults. Our Dr has been going through his patients' files to see who is behind in booster jabs. He says the pandemic has caused a huge "I forgot" in boosters & other regularly scheduled tests, things like mammograms, colon cancer checks, even eye check ups slide in the last 2 1/2 years. This might be our summer of catch up!!!

      Delete
  4. I'm quite sure you won't regret getting the shingles vaccine. I remember my doctor telling me that if my health plan didn't pay for them, I should. Luckily it wasn't a problem. I brought Sarah's copy of Remarkably Bright Creatures home with me, but haven't started it yet. She enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our provincial plan covers Shingles jabs for only a certain age group, so thankfully personal health care plans cover the cost or most of it for those not in the shingles free age 65-71 years. Our Doctor says there has been a surge in 30+ years getting Shingles; he says because of the stress of the pandemic & working from home. I just follow the Doctor's plan for us since having a Family Doctor/GP is a luxury these days & I want to keep him happy with me as a patient.

      Delete
  5. I have had both Shingles and the jab. I don’t recall a reaction to the jab.

    I liked Pirie and River, but Bancroft isn’t my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the only reaction I've had to yesterday's jab is a really stiff & painful arm, but it is still better than actual shingles. I was 26yrs old with my first bout of shingles & I shall not forget that pain.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention Bancroft was certainly different. I'll look for River - thanks.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the Karen Pirie series. It doesn't look like a second series is in production yet so I may read the books while I'm waiting.

    We don't have the shingles vaccine as a routine vaccine in this country and I haven't heard of anyone having it. It sounds like you have a good doctor is he is checking up on missed tests and treatments during the pandemic. I really wish my doctor would do the same. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the shingles jab got on my list from the doctor as I had my first attack of shingles when I was 26yrs old - it was SO painful & I still have some nerve pain from it. Karen Pirie books! I'll check into those.

      Delete
  7. Hope your appointment went well. Hubby has a PSA test tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck for Hubby with his test. I was impressed with my GP doctor reviewing all the tests & jabs I should be getting this year. He has done the same for Mr Man.

      Delete
  8. Hoping that all has gone well with your vaccination and that the worst of the possible side-effects did not materialise. I remember an elderly neighbour getting it in her eye and face (pre-vaccination days) and it was very painful and scary for her - so you are doing the right thing! Here, we can't get it till we are over 70. I'd never heard of Christmas Eve snow - what a lovely phrase! I've noted those series and books for February - thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa. Unfortunately I did have some major allergic reaction from the shingles vaccine, which needed some medical care. There's debate by the doctor as to should I have the second jab in 4-6 months. I have had shingles more than once & it is very painful. In Ontario free shingles vaccine is between 65-70yrs, but beginning at 19 yrs you can get if you pay for yourself. As I said my doctor thought it was necessary for me to get now & not wait. I am currently reading Remarkably Bright Creatures & I do recommend this book, it's a delightful tale.

      Delete
    2. My husband contracted shingles 2 years ago and is still experiencing twinges and painful bouts x

      Delete
  9. Wonder how you made out with the first shingles vaccination? I had mine on the same day with the flu vaccine and was so sick. Hoping that wasn't the case for you. I am sure shingles would be far worse but still!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie I had a horrible time with the first shingles vaccine. Mr Man not so much. I had only a sore arm with the flu jab.

      Delete
  10. I should get the Shingles vaccine as well, but I have been procrastinating. I did not know it was 2 shots. A friend's doctor said he would not really recommend it for healthy people, but I am not recalling the reason why at the moment. By the way, it is that same friend of mine that loves all Debbie Macomber's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting what your friend's doctor says. We've been told anyone that had chicken pox is likely/possibly to get shingles & it use to be that you had to be of retirement age to get the vaccine, but in Canada it is now open to anyone over the age of 18yrs. It's funny how each country focuses on certain ailments over others. I wonder if, like MS, Canadians get more shingles than Americans.

      Delete