Monday, March 13, 2023

Me On A Monday - March 13th

 

 

Good Morning - I hope everyone is well.  We had another snow storm on Friday - an accumulation of about 8cm.  Thankfully it was fluffy snow & easily handled by our snowblower.  We moved our clocks ahead one hour on Sunday morning & oh how I hope that this is the last time necessary - someone please make a decision to leave the clocks alone!!!  (either that or we move to Saskatchewan were the clocks are not moved in either direction).

SOURCE: Internet
 

Currently ReadingThe Light We Carry by Michelle Obama.  I thought this was another OK book written by Michelle, a little too preachy for me in many parts of the book.  Now having said that, I would definitely have Michelle Obama on my list of people I would invite to my "living or dead" tea party.  My reason being is that my favourite line in this most recent writing of hers is  about holding space for discussion.  I also believe she is a woman that knows the power of being seen by another.  Discussion is a long seemingly lost art of idea, feelings & thought exchange, IMO. 

I finished The Cloisters & I was right to be cautiousness of a main character.  Amazing how in just a few short sentences that an author had the ability to convey caution.  There were parts of this book I liked, but overall I would not give this book much of a rating above a 7 out of 10.  I really did not like the ending. 

I have three cookbooks waiting for me to pick up at the library.

Currently Judging ... I know an odd thing to say, but recently I had a conversation with a friend about nothing, one thing we talked about was the "do you wash the underwear you are about to throw out before you throw out?"  It is amazing how such a topic held our attention for at least 20 minutes of deep discussion. In the end we decided the washing or not washing before throwing out held little judgement about that person & much more judgement about the person going through someone's garbage to discover the potential horror of unwashed underwear.

Currently Excited: we had a chipmunk sighting on our patio Saturday morning - "he" was sitting on a snow drift waiting for me to rush about & throw out some peanuts.  This to me is a sign of spring coming ... that & all the paired off Canadian geese holding up traffic on Friday as they waddled across the road from one field to another. It took them 10 minutes to cross!  I did shout at them "you can fly!!!" 

Currently On BritBox: we have discovered McDonald & Dodds.  We like this series & very happy to read a 4th series is being undertaken. Mr Man is all for trying butter on his chips now!

And I'll leave you with this thought for the week ... could alien abduction be a possible holiday destination?

 

24 comments:

  1. I guess alien abduction would be an 'out of this world' experience ;-)
    Interesting discussion on throwing out undies - maybe you should undertake a blog poll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - at least with alien abduction there's no airport taxes to pay! Before I undertake the poll, I'll check online to see if there's already been one (hahaha).

      Delete
  2. Good morning. I am not sorry to say that we missed the Friday snow. We pretty well have nowhere to put new snow. The blower can pile it up there, but any shovelling is quite a lift and throw.

    I was up at 3:20 (old time) this morning. Basically however, the change doesn’t bother me.

    McDonald and Dobbs. Have i really seen 3 seasons already? Sure doesn’t seem like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far this week we have been doing that warm sun melt in the daytime & the overnight freezing again. I hope no more snow since I have a lot of driving for Mr Man's medical appts coming up. If you have all 3 season with McDonald & Dodds yyou'll be glad there's going to be a 4th.

      Delete
  3. I'd love it if they'd leave the clocks alone. Washing undies before discarding them seems a waste of water to me. I haven't seen a chipmunk in ages. Usually we see them every once in a while, but not this winter and not so far this spring. We love McDonald & Dodds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McDonald & Dobbs was a happy find for us, so glad they got rid of the nasty boss man. I like that Dodds uses the library to help with his crime fighting! Ontario will only stop moving the clocks back & forth if Quebec & New York state do as well - our big trading partners.

      Delete
  4. I took the easy route with Michelle and listened to her read it when it was BBC Radio 4's Book of the Week.
    I am whispering this next bit ... I wash my smalls before getting rid of them. #nodirtysmalls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no luck with talking books, I fall asleep, which may actually be the help I'm looking for with my sleep issues. So far I think it's a split over wash not wash before throwing out the smalls.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the chuckle about the underwear! I think I`ll pass on Michelle Obama`s book although I fear it may appear on next years` book club list. Will look for McDonald and Dobbs at the library. I`m currently watching `Death in Suburbia` which I think you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did write favourably about Death in Suburbia - hope you are enjoying. Fingers crossed your library has McDonald & Dobbs.

      Delete
  6. Yay for chipmunks, paired geese, and other signs of spring! We changed our clocks too, and while it makes the mornings darker, I must admit that I am enjoying having more daylight in the evenings. As for washing undies before throwing them out, I'm afraid I don't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may do a blog poll about wash before or not before throwing out (col). I am also enjoying the longer daylight hours. We are now into that melt freeze dance.

      Delete
  7. I haven't had much interest in the new Michelle Obama book, but I loved her first one which I listened to, Maybe I'll do the same with this one eventually. Sadly, chipmunks cause a fair amount of damage to our yard and our gardens so I'm not eagerly anticipating their return, although I am most definitely ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never fared well with talking books, I fall asleep & have to keep starting over again (col). Chipmunks can be ever so naughty, we have several arguments last year about gladioli bulbs - this year I think I have a solution to that problem!

      Delete
  8. I believe this is the last time we are changing the clocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so. I never realized how many clocks we have until we have to change twice a year (col).

      Delete
  9. I love the McDonald and Dobbs shows. They are filmed in Bath, about 12 miles from where I live. We don't change our clocks until the 26th ... I actually like the changes, they don't bother me at all. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think the location in many of these series is another actor which should get full credit. We change our clocks back & forward early because of the Americans & the oil crisis back in 2007. Changing so many clocks takes up most of that hour lost or gained (col).

      Delete
  10. I like McDonald and Dodds too! Great stories and lovely scenery/locations. Not really keen on the McDonald character - I realise she is not meant to be too likeable but IMHO the acting is weak. Don't know if you have come across Jason Watkins elsewhere - I'm a fan but was a bit disappointed in his latest project (The Catch). Found it really slow and predictable. Interested what you think if you get the chance to see it.
    Like the idea of chipmunks but probably pleased not to have to host them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the Bath scenery is spectacular. We have seen Jason Watkins as a guest in a few other series like Midsomer Murders. I'll look for The Catch, thanks for the recommendation. Chipmunks can be a problem; when we have a manageable group of say 4-5 not too much mischief but when there's a surge in population, then I'm likely to be a grumpy landlady (col).

      Delete
    2. Absolutely not recommending it! On your own head be it if you decide to invest 5 hours and then regret it!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, so noted. :) We found Grace which is occupying our allotted tv time right now.

      Delete
  11. Well I am a month of Mondays behind, but I smiled all through this post. I have Michelle's books on my list of audiobooks to download from the library. I am not surprised there is a little preachiness in there, as I have seen a couple of interviews and spotted a bit of that as well. Still she's a very interesting woman.

    As far as discarded clothing goes, we have a firm rule of washing everything before discarding as well as donating. Of course, hubby has tried to skirt that rule when discarding but I usually catch him in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to guess that it is Michelle's lawyer-ness coming out in her book & talks. Agree she is interesting. I am in the washing before discarding camp.

      Delete