Monday, March 06, 2023

Me On A Monday - March 6th

 Good Morning. I trust & hope that everyone is well.  

We had quite the snow storm late Friday into Saturday. In our region we got 27cm of snow. It was very wet & made it difficult for the snow blower to easily clear the driveway & walkway. Mr Man had to in the end do a lot of the clearing by hand (shovel). Late Saturday morning the sun came out & it was very enjoyable as it did the job of melting snow off the roof.  As the snow melted on the roof & it slide down, there were great crashing sounds, which disturbed the cats in their sun puddle napping. 

This isn't our car, but a neighbour's car/driveway after the snow plough went by.  Took 3 of his teens an hour to dig out. 

Source: F/B

Currently Reading:  I just finished the first in a series, written by Julia Spencer-Fleming, In The Bleak Midwinter.  More murder mystery. I really quite enjoy the main characters of the book.  This was a book that once I started I just wanted to finish. We had an errand on Thursday to run & I just wanted to get that done so I could get back to my book.  The author, IMO has the gift of writing in great quantity. She writes descriptions of location & characters that you can immediately form them in your mind's eye.  I commented to Mr Man that how is some people can take many of the same words & form them into sentences that just capture you into their story, their gift.  I cannot wait to get book two of this series.

I also started The Cloisters by Kathy Hays, (remember last week by mistake I requested The Cloister by James Carroll, which I read & liked).  So far, I am liking this book, not totally bonded to the main character, yet, but there is one character that has me thinking, we need to be careful with this one.

Sitting waiting to be started is Michelle Obama's 2nd book "The Light We Carry".

Nothing much is planned for the week, it's busy with Mr Man appointments for the dentist, pre-op blood work taken & check up.  The car also has an appointment for re-call adjustments.  Thankfully I have books to read while I wait for all these appointments to be completed.  Happy week to you all.


19 comments:

  1. It's definitely good to have a book to read while you are sitting in waiting rooms!
    That is some impressive snow - isn't it a weird sound when snow melts enough to slide off the roof? Hope it doesn't hang around for too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was a really strange sound, thunder during the snow storm. We had above +1(c) temperatures on Saturday & Sunday, so there's already some melt going on.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I remember Julia Spencer-Fleming. It’s been a long time, though. At some point, I got all caught up and then forgot about her. This has happened with some other authors too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having trouble sourcing her 2nd book in the series. My library only carries in a format I don't have access to. :(

      Delete
  4. Crikey, that does look like a lot of snow! West London has sleet forecast for later this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sleet in busy London will create traffic mayhem. I'm hoping that this past storm is the last of such large amounts & any other storms just bring amounts in under 5cm.

      Delete
  5. Oh, my! You got a lot of snow! Sounds like March came in 'roaring like a lion'; hopefully, it will go out 'like a lamb'! Certain areas in California received a lot of snow, too, but, thankfully, not in my area!
    Sounds like you've a busy week ahead with lots of appointments to take up your time! Good to have a book or two to read while you wait at those appointments. Be safe in all that snow and hope the roads won't be too icy when you and Mr. Man have to drive to various appointments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw the report of all the snow in the California mountains with so many trapped for days in the their home, how very scary. The amount we are getting really isn't too unusual, it's just rather late this year. I try to carry something to read with me at all times :)

      Delete
  6. We got a lot of snow on Friday night as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some of the photos from Toronto's storm, & it will probably get cleared away just in time for this Saturday's forecasted storm. Did you hear any of the thunder in the storm?

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the "good reads" suggestions. I am waiting for the next Book Club book so will see if I can find either or both of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Chris. I'm having trouble getting in book format the 2nd book in the Julia Spencer-Fleming series, so the library is going to see if another library system might lend to "us".

      Delete
  8. We left for Wisconsin before the snow hit Rochester, but from the sound of it, you got a lot more snow than they did. No snow here and lots of sunshine which makes for a very happy day! I just finished "Babel-Or the Necessity of Violence: An Arcane History of the Oxford Translators' Revolution." VERY long, but totally compelling especially if you have any interest in etymology. It's about a group of translators who work in a tower called Babel at Oxford University in the 1800's-another speculative fiction read. Deals with all kinds of issues, most of which continue to plague us in the 2020's. I've been having trouble finding a book that captured my attention, but I devoured this one in just 4 1/2 days. (Helps to be at Sarah's where I have a lot of reading time!) Hope the sun and the melting continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's good you got your traveling in before the storm. I've now got Babel Or The Nexessity of Violence on order at the library. Just finishing up The Cloisters.

      Delete
  9. So much snow!

    I've actually read the In The Bleak Midwinter book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much snow for what is meant to be the end of winter! Hopefully it melts quickly. Did you The Bleak Midwinter? Did you read any more of the series?

      Delete
  10. That was a lot of snow! Hoping it doesn't get in the way of medical appointments/journeys.
    (Making the most of being able to comment while I can...who knows how long it may last.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Ella, I'm now into checking (far too often) weather forecast for the next couple of weeks; rain I don't mind, it's heavy snowfalls & freezing rain I'm nervous about. Oh no it sounds like you are having computer problems - hope they clear up quickly & without being costly. :)

      Delete