Monday, January 15, 2024

Me On A Monday - January 15th



Good Morning.  What a wild snowy blustery winter weekend we had. I would use more describers but you get the picture! Thankfully any driving I had to do on Friday was done well before the storm arrived. We were able to stay bundled up at home.  We lost power on Friday night but not for long, thankfully, battery back ups on all the devices took care of everything, so only the microwave & stove needed their clocks adjusted.  With the winds still raging & snow falling & temperatures of -18 (c) on Sunday morning I decided to practice my Hurkle Durkle skills.

Currently Watching: We finished series 1 & 2 of Happy Valley, which we borrowed from the library & we now have series 3 on order.  We had seen both series of H/V before but wanted to refresh our memories on the story.  Both Mr Man & were once again in awe of Sarah Lancashire's acting.  She has come along way since Coronation Street days as Raquel. As a matter of fact there are SO many previous Coronation Stars in H/V.  

We finished up with the current series of Shetland, with the introduction of Ashley Jensen as DI Ruth Calder.  It was a great series, I O O (in our opinion). Searching on BritBox for another series to watch while we wait for the new Vera series to begin, so we have started No Offence.  Not sure yet, only two episoides in.

Currently Reading: I did finish The Amor of Light. I mostly liked, not "I loved it" book.  I am waiting on several books from the library so in the meantime I am re-reading my all time favourite book EVER.  The Thirteenth Tale. This book still holds my attention & imagination like no other book I've read.  A close second would be Lord of The Rings & The Hobbit.   And speaking of favourites, I may just pull out another favourite, The Keeper of Lost Things.  

Currently Baking:  this week it is my group's turn to bake for the whole group at Ladies Coffee Bible Study.  It has to be nut aware (free), so I'm baking from a pre-packaged mix, gingerbread squares. On Sunday morning, once I got up, I baked a new to me recipe for cinnamon muffins. Best served warm.

And to wrap things up,  Hurkle Durkle is an old Scottish word or phrase meaning to lounge in bed long after it is time to get up.  With the forecast of cold snowy weather all week, I may be practicing this skill much more often.  Happy week to all & to all stay warm!



18 comments:

  1. The new series of Vera has started here and it's as good as ever!
    Your winters sound so harsh, I think I would end up hibernating for many weeks at a time. Warm cinnamon muffins straight from the oven sound absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no official word yet when we'll get the new series of Vera, looks like it might be as late as March :( We are often told, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad choices of clothing ... I cannot repeat here what I would like to say to those weather authorities (lol).

      Delete
  2. We've been watching Shetland and Vera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both written by the fabulous Ann Cleeves - she is such a talent to develop both series of books.

      Delete
  3. Wasn't the recent Shetland just the best? No Offence will do, but not much is as good as Shetland 8. Except for HV, of course. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite into No Offence now, Mr Man gave up as he couldn't understand the accents. Nothing touches Vera (IMO). In Shetland, I liked Tosh's growth as an investigator.

      Delete
  4. Happy Valley is such superb drama! With the sound of your winter weather, I can't blame you for wanting to Hurkle Durkle! Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories in Happy Valley linger long after. There were a few times I really wanted to shake Clara. It's hard to put this character & that of Miss O'Brien from Downton Abbey to the same fabulous actress.

      Delete
  5. I also enjoyed Shetland and Happy Valley. Have you caught Sarah Lancashire in her "Last Tango in Halifax" series? My favourite book ever is "Anthony Adverse" by Harvey Allen. I've read it three times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris I'll have too look up Anthony Adverse at the library, thanks for the referral. Oh yes Last Tango in Halifax, an all time favourite. I want more of all these. :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like winter has arrived in full force! A very good reason to practice your hurkle durkle skills! That's a new phrase for me! Glad the power outage didn't last long! The Keeper of Lost Things sounds like an interesting book and I just put a hold on it! I can see that 2024 will be the year when I get back to reading! :)
    Have a wonderful week and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Man Winter is making himself very well known. I hope you enjoy Keeper of Lost Things. For me, reading is so very necessary & I think that is why I get frayed when I have nothing to read or a book that doesn't engage.

      Delete
  7. I hope you are still practicing your Hurkle Durkle. What a fab saying. You could stay in bed, watch HV, eat cake and forget that it's -18 outside :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cake, but alas I've done that too much in the holiday season. It's too bad the being cold & shivering doesn't use up more calories (lol).

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard of No Offense. I'll check it out. Thanks! Gingerbread squares sounds nice. I think I'll add a mix to my next grocery list :) We got 5 inches of snow and record-breaking cold, but we haven't lost power yet. Here's hoping we don't :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5" of snow in Tennessee, is quite a lot. When one of my older sisters lived there I remember that every thing would shut down because the little hamlet she lived in had no way of clearing the snow. No Offense isn't too bad, not liking the ending of series one, but I'm ready to start series 2 & hope for better :)

      Delete
  9. Well, here I am, reading both Monday's and Wednesday's posts. I'm quite sure there's a good excuse, but I'll pass on that for now. I'm madly reading about our next trip as well as "Trust "(a book on my shelf for too long--I've yet to form an opinion about it), and "The Amen Effect" for my interfaith book group. I already know it will be in the Top 10 this year. I should do this year's Top 10 list post before the first month of the new year passes by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often seen your sidebar on your blog for books you are reading & request from the library - rarely disappointed in your choices :) Cannot wait to hear about the next Karen adventure trip!

      Delete