Friday, March 01, 2019

March's Other Saint

March 1st - Happy St David's Day

Saint David's Day (Welsh: Dydd Gŵyl Dewi, Welsh pronunciation: [dɨːð ɡʊɨl ˈdɛui]) is the feast day of Saint David, the patron saint of Wales, and falls on 1 March, the date of Saint David's death in 589 AD. The feast has been regularly celebrated since the canonisation of David in the 12th century (by Pope Callixtus II). 
 
Traditional festivities include wearing daffodils and leeks, recognised symbols of Wales and Saint David respectively.  

Today to celebrate my heritage - I will wear the daffodil proudly on my coat.

Image result for images of welsh flag
The Welsh Dragon (flag) Source: Internet


Image result for images of leeks & daffodils together
Leeks & Daffodil (Source: Internet)

4 comments:

  1. Husband's heritage is Welsh as well. I think I would choose the daffodil over the leek! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St. David's Day. I have no daffodils, but I'll remember this next year and get some to have before then :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy St David’s Day! I didn’t know you had Welsh connections. So dat I seem to have everything else but Welsh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learn something every day, and today it's about St. David's Day! I have a vase of daffodils on our dining room table to greet our dinner guests tonight.

    ReplyDelete