Monday, September 12, 2022

Me On A Monday - September 12th

Good Morning.  For me, it has been a very emotional weekend watching coverage of The Queen's death & all the protocols for the change to King Charles III.  

For me, one of the emotional moments was watching as The Queen's coffin was moved into The Palace of Holyroodhouse & The Princess Royal's deep curtesy.  So much of that said, reverence, duty, respect, & love.  I cannot imagine having to deal with a public display of protocols & legal requirements while trying to mourn the passing of a much loved Mother, Grandmother & Great Grandmother.

I was most pleasantly surprised by the number of my friends that checked in with me, knowing what a Royalist I am.  The Monarchy & Coronation Street are/were two things I was raised with. Not a republican amongst us. 

For the last two weeks we were working at home tending to our ensuite bathroom reno which finally started with the removal of an old shower stall & the building of a tiled shower stall.  Thankfully we have another full bathroom so no one went unwashed for 2 weeks.

I had picked a tile over a year ago when the project was suppose to begin, but when this contractor, not the original one, went to get the tile, he was told "out of stock, no delivery date"  so I had to rush out & pick another one rather quickly so as not to delay the progress being made.  When I went into the ceramic tile store, I said show me only those that are in stock; white background with some grey in it. Saved time walking through aisles of tiles that weren't going to be appropriate but still there were so many choices.  I think if the contractor had shown up with this 2nd picked tile neither Mr Man or myself would have known, it is so similar to the original.  I am very happy with the choice.

A little hiccup in getting a shower stall door - I absolutely did not want a clear one, which apparently is all the rage! But in the end, the contractor found a frosted door.  

The next hiccup or curse as Mr Man puts it, was the flooring, we had a one piece of vinyl flooring but this contractor did not know how to install & the company we bought it from didn't have any sub-contractors that could either.  Original contractor was an expert in this type of flooring that's why we went with it. So on Friday we picked a new type & style of flooring.  It will be 2 weeks before that gets delivered & installed.  The cats have been very stressed by a stranger in the house & one that made a lot of noise.

Mr Man was the first to have a shower in the new tiled shower stall on the weekend - it was his birthday after all.  

I'll see you Wednesday for some Wisdom.  

19 comments:

  1. Bathroom renovations are one big project! Several years ago, we gutted one bathroom and put in a new floor and vanity in the other. It took several weeks, but remains some of the best money we ever spent on the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I am really pleased with final choices & results, I still need recovery time at the costs. I know they say bathrooms & kitchens are the best renos to do but oh my, the cost & the pandemic did not help with sourcing & costs. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad I've finished all my big renovations. I don't envy you the mess and noise and hope you can get the flooring sorted soon. Will we see some photos please?

    Belated birthday wishes to Mr Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, Mr Man allows only minor birthday mention/celebrations - strange that he marries a woman (me) who goes all out for birthday celebrations (lol). Photos of finished bathroom & the finished landscape project will feature soon. :)

      Delete
  3. You must be so relieved!
    Sad day for The Firm. I'm not a royalist, but she's been there forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now understand why people move to newer houses, anything rather than face renovations.

      Delete
  4. A bot of an ordeal by the sound of it. That's something I also have to attend to in the near future. Never a dull moment when you own a home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Man is convinced this house carries a curse upon it. I keep having moments of shock when I see the cost for all things bathroom related. We are thinking of some upgrades/changes for the kitchen next year. The bathroom reno & landscape project have rather emptied our pocket books.

      Delete
  5. Bathroom renovations can be time consuming and expensive! I'm glad you found a tile that was very similar to what you had picked out, earlier. Hope the flooring is installed, soon. Belated happy birthday wishes you Mr. Man. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless, Mr Man is not a big birthday celebrator. This reno was to begin in early 2020 but alas COVID got in the way of that - several times actually. Anyway through all the mess, upset & change, it is finally getting done & I am liking the results :)

      Delete
  6. I am pretty neutral about the monarchy, but I think the queen did her job well and with dignity. We’ve watched a few retrospectives lately, and they reaffirmed my opinion that she did a good job.

    I think it was appropriate that birthday boy put on his birthday suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa about birthday boy in his birthday suit, didn't think of it like that. I know in the days to come there will be many discussions about Canada & the Monarchy. I just hope people remember that it is not just about the people, being part of the Commonwealth, it is about how our laws, & our governing come about & keep us separate from the chaos like our southern neighbours experience every 4 years. Our laws cannot be changed at the whim of an ego. I have great hopes that Canada stays within the Commonwealth as we continue to battle the infection creeping north, stem the tide of Freedimwits

      Delete
  7. I have been so impressed by the fortitude shown by the King and the Princess Royal.

    Fingers crossed that your new bathroom works finish without any more unexpected delays or more decisions about flooring etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The entire working Royal family are doing The Queen proud; she has prepared them well. This bathroom reno has me thinking, could I survive a kitchen reno!!?

      Delete
  8. So many changes! I'm impressed with how flexible you've been through it all. It sounds like a big project.

    I know she was of a great age, but I was still shocked by the news of the Queen. It was like a gut punch to see the end of her reign. And here I am with no connection at all. I can only imagine what it must be like for you {hug}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reno has certainly tested me in many ways. We had thought about some kitchen upgrades for the spring, now I'm not so sure.

      Delete
  9. Employing people and trusting that they will deliver can be so stressful! I hope you will be pleased with everything and not too scarred! You have got me thinking about shower cubicles. I think I have seen all clear doors/walls here ... but maybe I am just unobservant...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult to even get contractors to return calls, although that is improving as the mad rush for bigger homes has cooled some what. I think many people found the new working from home during the pandemic, showed they needed dedicated space for an office especially now that many are sticking with working from home.

      Delete
  10. If I have not said it before to you, condolences on the Queen's passing. I taped the funeral but decided not to watch it, as the still photos flowing through my Instagram feed were sad enough. One of her corgi during the procession nearly made me cry -- and I'm not even British! I cannot image the pressure the royal family was under during those 10 days of mourning.

    Oh bathroom renovations can be quite daunting, so it is good that your hiccups worked out in the end. And yes, we are finding here that the costs are really up, up, up. But I am not sure if delaying will really bring any lower costs later on. You will be glad to have it behind you.

    ReplyDelete