Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Pairs Of The Barking Kind

Linking in with Helena's Pairs at:  http://helenascreativemaven.blogspot.ca/

Today's Pairs are not my dogs, they are residences of the horse farm I ride at.  I am pleased to introduce you to Miley and Juno.

Miley - she is so beautiful

Juno - isn't this the cutest little face?
                                                                           

           

Miley, the German Shepherd, is very friendly and loves to lean  against you while you pat and fuss over her.  She has often been kicked by the horses and she seems not to be learning from these experiences.  She continues to bark/bite at their heels.  It should be noted that all but one, are eventing and dressage horses and wear metal shoes with spikes.   Miley is very affectionate with people and the barn cats.

 Juno is a Border Terrier and is quite the farm greeter, she isn't a barker and respects the size and power of the horses.  Her nose is often to ground and we have seen a reduction in the rodent population.  She can be a lap dog when the mood takes her. She and the cats are not friends.  She is definitely a Daddy's girl.

On an given day at the farm there can be 4-5 other dogs roaming around.  Most of the horse owners also have dogs and bring them to the farm for a run out and swim in the large pond.  On busy show days, the residence barn cats know it's time to go nap in the hay loft.

All of the dogs that either live or visit the barn love carrots, which we purchase in large quantities for the horses, so they, the dogs,  have an endless supply of edible toys.  The barn cats don't like carrots.



20 comments:

  1. It sounds like Miley is a slow learner! I think Juno would be my favourite - I like small dogs and yes, that is the cutest little face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miley is sweet but rather dense at times :) Juno does have a way about her that is quite endearing.

      Delete
  2. They sound like lovely dogs. It's nice to hear about other peoples dogs and how nice they are. Ours used to like carrots too. I really miss him some days. We lost him just before moving to Texas last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading on your blog about the passing of your dog - that was so sad, but as you said timing was everything with the move. I grew up with dogs but at this point in time a dog just wouldn't fit with our life style. I

      Delete
  3. Thanks for introducing us to the barn dogs...they are so different from each other is so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These two are not close friends, I think Juno gets fed up with Miley's antics :)

      Delete
  4. Miley looks fierce! Surprised she can be bullied by the horses. By all accounts border terriers are very affectionate; Juno looks just like Andy Murray's dogs (I bet she doesn't have her own Twitter feed!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miley is a big suckie baby. The horses kick her after she nips/bites at their heels, I have little to no sympathy for her in this regard ;) Juno gets quite furry before her summer clip. No twitter for Juno.

      Delete
  5. I like both your descriptions and photos of the dogs. We have one who likes to nip at horses hooves. And a goor ratter! I am afraid we are meaner than your yard. We do not allow the horse owners or visitors to bring dogs. They have to keep them in their cars if they come. We don't consider it fair on our dogs who live there. My dog Monty is very naughty. He gets into people's cars and steals food! Everyone has learnt to shut their car doors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Maggie I personally agree with you about allowing boarders to bring their dogs to the farm. I especially dislike that some allow their dogs to roam in the indoor arena - dog poop, I'll say no more. Oh naughty Monty that could turn out to be either a funny story or a dangerous one.

      Delete
  6. Lovely dogs - interesting that they like carrots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to catch the photo of Juno just after her summer clip when she looks her best ;)

      Delete
  7. both lovely dogs and fascinating that they love carrots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helena, I was happy to catch both at their best ;)

      Delete
  8. Both lovely photos, but I have a soft spot for Border Terriers. Thanks for stopping by today. My niece was brave indeed, managing that dress and veil around a helicopter! Rather her than me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. Miley was not too cute today, she is going to get kicked again, naughty girl!

      Delete
  10. We are loving this pair here! I have showed the others too...we have been thinking of getting a dog here and for months the boys have been shouting for a Miley while the girls have been voting for a Juno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be hard pressed to pick a dog. My favourite are Bull Terriers but having a dog right now is just not part of our life style. I will say that Juno is less work and worry than Miley, but that could just be them.

      Delete