Sunday, July 05, 2015

SPSH - White Sale

Today's SPSH selections just happen to all be in white. 

SPSH #5 Architectural Columns

 These columns are from a house in an older part of downtown Guelph.   I was told, although I cannot validate, that this house is the methadone and clean needle exchange clinic. There was no notice on the door, only the large street number and name.   Large old house and I am sure at one time it was quite grand and would have had lovely gardens.






SPSH #9 Tent

While we were out and about on an adventure in Oakville, we came across this tent.   The tent is set up on the grounds of a beautifully restored estate, originally known as Harding House, built in the late 1930's and recently restored as the Holcim Waterfront Estate.  .http://ruthcon.ca/portfolio-items/holcim-waterfront-estate-redevelopment/ .  The magnificent white tent was the setting of a wedding service taking place and as we had no invitation to attend the wedding, we quickly snapped a few photos from the front and quietly drove off.  I just hope we weren't arriving at the part of the service where the official asks if anyone objects to the two getting married and then the guests suddenly see this woman (me) bobbing in and out of the trees - well anyway the possibility made us both giggle.








SPSH #11 Cellular Tower or Television Satellite Dish 

Mr Man was the one that found the grouping of satellite dishes when he was in this area on a business call a few weeks ago.  The satellite dishes are part of The Shaw Communications Group, a local  TV cable and telecommunication network. I could not get all the dishes in one shot - there was about 20 dishes varying in size.  Kind of neat to see.  Surprisingly, I could not hear any humming being emitted from this many dishes.




I hope everyone is enjoying the search for all 21 main items and 3 alternatives.  I continue to be surprised at how this year's list are all just appearing for me.   I enjoy that it gets Mr Man and me out and about exploring,  making adventures













10 comments:

  1. A great selection of photos - that tent is, as you said, magnificent. What a lovely venue to hold a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only image the cost of renting such a place - umm maybe for our renewal event (lol).

      Delete
  2. The columns house is beautiful and screams N. America to me. Very evocative. (Don't worry - I believe you have no first-hand knowledge of this place!) ;o)
    As to the satellite dishes, I'm so jealous! It seems that these are somewhat easier to find over the pond and you've taken a lovely shot. Nice reflections. UK pics seem to be mainly masts or domestic dishes. I wanted to take a photo of the giant BBC dishes at the old TV Centre but internet research has revealed that the building has already been gutted so I think it quite unlikely they are still there. I could go for a walk down Wood Lane but I'd like to remember the building as it was and don't want to see the changes that have been made. :o(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw something on Top Gear about the demolition of the old BBC building, sad. Part of our touring in Oakville on Friday was seeing the new monster houses they are building after ripping down the smaller (matter of opinion) houses. My Father's old house was one of them.

      Delete
  3. Great photos! I loved the story about the tent, and that's the best photo of satellite dishes I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. SPSH is training my observation skills, that and creating a summer manifesto.

      Delete
  4. Great photos. I am enjoying your interest in historic buildings: there is always something interesting to read here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for saying that Sian. I really like old buildings. I have been reading up on the closed prison (correctional) facilities where I took today's photo. It has an amazing history besides being a prison.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tent! You made me smile with your comment about hoping it wasn't 'that' point in the service! Beautiful columns too :)

    ReplyDelete