Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Following A Tree - June 14th Update

I have chosen to follow a particular Maple Tree for the year to watch & observe the changes the tree & surrounding area under go through the year.

How quickly this tree leafed out, one day just a little bit of green fuzz & what seemed overnight, bang on full leaf coverage.
 

I had a visit with my tree today.
 

 
 Walking around the tree, observing all sides, I noticed today (June 14th) that there is a (nasty) vine growing up the inside of the trunk.  I could not see this vine's stock starting on the ground.  The vine, Virginia Creeper, is a type of vine that will take over the tree's canopy & block the sunlight from reaching the tree's leaves.  It appears to be growing from a old branch wound too far up for me to reach.  
 
Virginia Creeper growing on the inside of the trunk

  There is also another type of tree growing from another of the Maple Tree's wound pockets. I imagine that over the years dirt has built up in the hole.  I think this tree within the tree is a Locust tree.  There are some Locust growing near by.  There are no bird or squirrel nests that I can see, but maybe a bird or squirrel "planted" the seed & nature took over.
Possible Locust Tree growing in old wound pocket

I have now named "my" tree - Old Mother Tree, as she seems to be harbouring the growth of others.

12 comments:

  1. Old Mother Tree, that's lovely! I hope the parasites don't kill her off. Looking strong and proud so far though... Virginia creeper is lovely - there is a famous one at Wimbledon - but I sadly pulled one off my house when I moved in because of all the damage it can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must look that vine up. I think V.C. has some of the most beautiful Autumn shades of red. I did not know that V.C. could damage brick, I use to think it sucked the life out of the host plant, but I learned that it just covers the host so thickly it cannot get sun light. Umm I know some relationships like that (col).

      Delete
  2. Wonderful name! The tree is really lovely; it's amazing how much larger it seems when the leaves are out! I hope the creepers don't cause a problem. We don't see many of them here, but in the south they are prolific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should get someone in the next photo beside Old Mother to give a size perspective, she is quite tall & I have been told that she could be 75-100 years old.

      Delete
  3. Oh this really calls to my Taurus spirit! I LOVE the idea of following a tree for a year. That's fantastic! So interesting how she's supporting others, even the unwelcomed vine! Is this close to where you live? Or do you have to drive to visit her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky in picking this tree as She is living in the park in my neighbourhood & I just walk around to visit her on my quest for 10,000 steps a day. I must admit Virginia Creeper turns the most gorgeous colour in the Autumn.

      Delete
  4. Interesting! I've never heard of a locust tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few varieties that we can grow in this area, the most popular types are ShadeMaster & Honey Sunburst Locust. The locust tree has a lovely filtered shade because of the long fan like branches/leaves. It seems there are more & more of these been planted to replace our sick/dying Ash trees. I think there are some Locust with huge thorns.

      Delete
  5. What a beauty. I have a tree in a neighbouring garden, which I call my seasons tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I watch this tree I think about what it was like when the tree was just a sapling & what tales it could share of the comings & goings of beast & man.

      Delete
  6. I love that you are following the growth of this tree.
    I can imagine sitting under the shaded leaves and reading a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Tracy until you mentioned it I never thought to go sit & read there - once the weather warms up enough I think I may just do that very thing - a perfect way to really know "my" tree.

      Delete