Monday, June 27, 2016

Memorandum Monday - June 27th

A gracious good morning to all.  Linking in with our hostess Sian



What is new from the patio?  Well not a lot.  Friday we experienced major internet outages by all three of the biggest providers - what to blame?  Heat, humidity & the technology in-explainable Ethernet. This happened right in the middle of a podcast with our bank financial manger explaining to his clients the effects financially from BRExit on Canadian markets.  The technology is all good for now.   

My Thoughts of The Ethernet


Most of the weekend saw us at home tending to lots of little odd jobs in the garden. Although on Saturday morning we needed to run a quick errand in town & on our way home, we stopped at our favourite local cat rescue, they were having a fund raiser yard sale.  I wanted to donate money, I did not need nor want anything, but in the end I was "given" a framed print.  It is rather pleasant, but I think it will hang in the clinic & not at home.
 
The artist is Dawna Barton

 We had the tree trimmers in to do some work on three of our trees; both ashes & one silver maple.  It took them most of the day & they did cut out a lot of deadwood on both ash trees & removed a large awkward growing branch on the silver maple.


Silver Maple Tree - major branch cut off

 Our weather continues to be extremely dry & the local corn crops are doing what they call "pineappling" which means the leaves fold in on themselves to preserve moisture, making them look like the tops of pineapples - not a good sign at this growth stage.

corn leaves "pineappling"
My last photo reminds me of the week unfolding; Monday is blossoming & the rest of the week has so many beautiful  days (buds) just waiting to unfold & bloom.  Yes that is my wish for everyone this week - a blooming good time.  On Friday, July 1st we celebrate Canada Day.
 
Clematis - Nellie Moses





 

18 comments:

  1. Lovely snaps, thanks for sharing. I remember when Dawna Barton was all the rage - maybe 25 years ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was curious about your comment regarding the artist, Dawna Barton, so I Googled her. She was certainly a very busy artist. Turns out I have a set of mugs that are some of her paintings. Um maybe I will keep the picture at home.

      Delete
  2. I will happily send you some of our rain. How much would you like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need at least an all night rain, sending now would be good (thank you very much).

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of 'pineappling' before, so I've just learnt something new on a Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure if "pineappling" is a term used only by our local farmers or would other farmers in other regions & countries know the term. Glad I could share something new ...

      Delete
  4. Me too! I've just learned something new. I've never heard of "pineappling" either.

    I hope you have a good week. I'm sure there will be many of us volunteering to send on some rain..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can confirm that the term pineappling is common to our regions farmers - phew I was hoping not just Farmer Tim's terms ... rain would be most appreciated. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Like you, we're badly in need of rain. Wish our friends across the pond could send us some. I've never heard of pineappling either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rain barrels are completely empty as I used that water for my pots & roses. Rain too much in the world, no rain in other parts - we need to fix this imbalance by tending more to our world.

      Delete
  6. Gosh, we have plenty of the wet stuff to spare. We've seen little else of late! It started raining minutes after I took that photo of the paving slabs! Pineappling is a new one on me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were always told that the best & driest time to travel in England is June - guess that tipbit just went out the window (lol). Everyone's weather is mixed up.

      Delete
  7. Wishing you a blooming week! We had such a wet spring this year that I was glad to see the sunshine finally. (Although we're scheduled for a little rainshower later today!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa, I am hoping for a full bloom of the week.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos and I love the view of your garden.
    We have had a torrential down pour over the weekend, but with the fires, I think we needed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. Several counties down here are banning outdoor fires because it is SO dry & the fire risk is SO high. Hope you have a fun Canada Day at your camp.

      Delete
  9. Nice to see the garden back in full-on summer mode. My other clematis is yet to bloom - it keeps having accidents/losing limbs!
    Thanks for your mail. I'm fine, just feeling lacklustre, but I'm still reading blogs in fits (and starts and haven't missed any of yours)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most glad you are OK. Right now (Friday morning) we are having a lovely much needed gentle rain, so once it passes I will be out in the garden to view what is blooming this glorious day.

      Delete