Sunday, July 01, 2018

July 1st - Canada Day


     


                        CanadaDay_0.jpg                                            
Some interesting trivia about Canada.

Canada is Iroquoian for Village - so I guess that makes us the Village People!

Canada's Population is 36.9 million - & it feels like most of them drive on the 401 Friday afternoons!

Canada's Capital is Ottawa (in Ontario)

Canada has 10 provinces & 3 territories; British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland; Yukon, North West Territories, Nunavut.
 
Official Motto: From Sea to Sea

Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world's lakes combined & probably the largest mosquito population!

The Hawaiian Pizza was invented in Canada (by a Windsor Ontario pizza maker) & apparently it is the most popular pizza in Australia - I guess a fair exchange for shrimp on the barbie ...

Yonge Street (in Ontario) is the longest street in the world at 1,896 km

Canada & the US of A, share the longest international border of 8891 km  - & still no wall!

Canada is the second largest country in the world.  Russia is the largest.

Canada has the largest coastline in the world.

80% of the alcohol consumed by Canadians is beer! I think it goes well with that Hawaiian pizza!


               

13 comments:

  1. Happy Canada Day, Mary-Lou. Are you doing anything special to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. Yes we are attending a parade & a friend's family party. The temperatures are to reach the mid 40's (c) so nothing outside to long. We will be a village of red & white!

      Delete
  2. Now I'm thinking Hawaiian pizza should be on the menu tonight. I want to find some good fireworks tonight, maybe over by the lake. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know cooking is NOT on my agenda today (col). There is suppose to be a neighbourhood fireworks display organized, we may wander over or just sit on the front steps & watch. Hope you find some fireworks close to home. We sang O'Canada in church today - I get so teary. =^..^=

      Delete
  3. Hawaiian pizza used to be on every pizza menu over here years ago but you don't see it so often nowadays. We often said, 'whoever first decided to put pineapple on a pizza?' - now I know! Hope you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like pineapple (no meat thank you) on my pizza but pineapple is off the list of things I can have on this elimination diet, no wait so is pizza :( It is too humid & hot to do anything outdoors today ...

      Delete
  4. Happy Canada Day! Day off tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes tomorrow is for most a stat holiday - yeah!

      Delete
  5. We all wore red and white to out tennis social this morning and sang O, Canada at lunch. Not too many people playing tennis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would think way too humid to play tennis. But what fun gathering together.

      Delete
  6. What an interesting read - I hope you have a wonderful Canada Day! I've visited three of the provinces; our favorite being Alberta, of course! :)

    I know what you mean about all the population seemingly driving on one road - the traffic here in Dallas often makes me wonder if there's anyone anywhere else at times! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to study Canada when I taught fifth grade so I knew a lot of the facts you shared. I did not know Yonge St. was the longest street in the world nor did I know Hawaiian pizza originated in Canada. I got a good chuckle when reading your asides on some of the trivia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy (belated) Canada Day! "still no wall"! lol!

    ReplyDelete