Monday, July 22, 2019

The Salad Days of Summer - 2 More Shares

Some more yummy summer goodness to share & an update to last week's two recipes.  The Where's Waldorf, I found that using Quinoa pasta (it's a protein) required a lot more yogurt that the suggested amount.  I think the Quinoa just soaked up the original amount & I like it just a tad more on the creamy side.



Broccoli Apple Salad
  • 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, (about 2 medium heads)
  • ½ cup shredded carrots
  • ¼ cup diced red onion (I use white sweet onions)
  • 2 large apples, finely chopped (I used gala apples)
  • ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped (I've also used almonds)
  • ½ cup dried cranberries
  • Creamy dressing ingredients:
  • ½ cup lite mayonnaise
  • ½ cup low fat Greek yogurt, plain
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt (I don't use)
  • ⅛ tsp pepper
  1. In a large bowl combine broccoli, carrots, onion, apples, pecans, and dried cranberries.
  2. To make the dressing: Whisk together mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper. (I omit the salt)
  3. Add the dressing to the salad and toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve.




CITRUS BEET & SPINACH SALAD

1 pkg. (284 g) baby spinach leaves

1 can or package (14 fl oz/398 mL) whole rosebud beets, drained, quartered

2 large navel oranges, peeled & sectioned (in a pinch I've used canned mandarin orange slices)

1 small red onion, thinly sliced (I use white sweet onions)

3/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted (I prefer pecans or almonds)

1/2 cup Kraft Signature Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing (or any other brand of a raspberry vinaigrette dressing)


TOSS all ingredients except dressing in large bowl.

ADD dressing; mix lightly. Serve immediately.

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, they both sound good and I agree, pecans are better than walnuts. There are so many other interesting salads out there, than just the old "tossed salad". -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After so many lettuce scares, I'm really hesitate to make many tossed salads. I'm trying very hard to make friends with beans, you would think as a vegetarian I would have already discovered beans ... I just don't like their texture.

      Delete
  2. I've never tried raw broccoli, so this could be a good one to try for something different. It's always nice to get recipes that have been tried and tested and recommended - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat a lot of raw broccoli, I have another one that is SO quick & simple, this broccoli salad is worth the extra effort. Raw broccoli, carrots & cauliflower with a dip is also a nice between meal snack.

      Delete