Monday, July 15, 2019

The Salad Days of Summer - Two Shares


I'm sharing a few cold salads that I regularly make during the summer months, both are on the menu plan this week.  I've shared as I received & noted where & what I've changed.   Bon appetit - buen provecho - buona mangiata

#1 Tropical Chicken Mango Salad
DRESSING:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp preserved ginger (finely chopped) I used fresh
1 tbsp orange juice concentrate
finely grated peel of 1 orange

SALAD:
4 cooked chicken breast, skinned & boned (I use only 1 for Mr Man)
1/2 small English cucumber - coarsely chopped (I've used regular cucumbers, but I must admit English are better)
1 medium red pepper coarsely chopped (actually any colour of sweet would be fine)
1 medium mango, peeled
1/2 head of leaf lettuce (I've used Romaine & I've used Iceberg)
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts or roasted peanuts (I used honey roasted peanuts & once slivered almonds)

In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients together until blended. Cut chicken into 1" cubes & place in bowl with cucumber & red pepper.  Cut mango into 1" pieces & add.  Toss with dressing. Spoon chicken mixture into a lettuce lined platter  - sprinkle with nuts.


#2 Where's Waldorf? (from Looney Spoons cookbook)
DRESSING:
3/4 cup low fat vanilla yoghurt (I've used full fat yoghurt)
2 tsp honey mustard
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

SALAD:
4 cups of rotini pasta (2 cups dry) (I've used corkscrew & I've used elbow) (my latest is Quinoa pasta)

3 cups chopped unpeeled but washed apple (any type will do, I've often blended Granny Smith & Fuji apples)
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts (I've used pecans, I've used slivered almonds)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion (I use sweet white)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I always forget this)

Mix dressing ingredients,  mix salad ingredients, mix together, serve chilled.

6 comments:

  1. They both sound tasty. I haven't heard of quinoa pasta so will look out for it next time I do a store cupboard shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - I'm definitely trying the chicken mango salad! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both dishes sound delicious. I've never heard of quinoa pasta. I wish I could keep lettuce fresh long enough to use it all, but even using those special refrigerator storage containers it goes bad too quickly for just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salads are on our menu regularly in the summer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I'd seen this before we had our dinner tonight - I had cold roast chicken leftovers and was trying to think of an interesting way of using it - this sounds much nicer than the chicken risotto that I ended up cooking! I shall be bookmarking this post for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you are not afraid to substitute what you have available. I think that's the best way to tackle recipes! I will definitely try the chicken mango recipe.

    ReplyDelete