Tuesday, September 05, 2017

5 in 5 On The Fifth - September's Emptiness


Five In Five On The 5th is Sandie's lovely meme, please join with me in seeing what everyone else has shared at Sandie's link in at: Itchifingers

This month my 5 are all about the emptiness of a park we often visit.  Today when we took our tea to sit by the river, we noticed how empty the park seemed, even for early in the afternoon.  Only 24 hours ago the park was teeming with life & activity of all ages but today was the first day of the new school year.  I am sure that many of the families normally filling the park are collecting the little ones after school & heading off to the mall to purchase items on the school lists.

The activity centre - empty
The mininature train - closed
 
The carousel - closed



The picnic pavilion - empty
The Enabling Gardens - empty

"We know that in September, we will wander through the warm winds of summer's wreckage.  We will welcome summer's ghost." ...Henry Rollins


We know that in September, we will wander through the warm winds of summer's wreckage. We will welcome summer's ghost. Henry Rollins
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/h/henryrolli450764.html?src=t_september

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining in again this month Marly-Lou - this is an interesting set of photos and the play area looks surreal, being so empty. The children have all returned for a new school year here too, the play areas can rest for a while! I liked the Hentry Rollins quote that you shared.... I can't believe how fast the dark evenings are drawing in. September is a month of change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This September, the change in light & shadows are what I am noticing most.

      Delete
  2. School opens tomorrow for most kids in this area, although some started today. I never gave any thought to what the parks might look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The park had a certain quiet about it that was neither bothersome or peaceful. I am sure once all the kids have found their schedules, their supplies, play will be at the top of the list.

      Delete
  3. Oh what a sad collection! I'm going to have to go down to my local park and give it some love when the schools go back! (Any excuse to play on the swings!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I like to swing & I look for opportunities when no one else is about - my best spot for that has been the park at the end of our street.

      Delete
  4. I like the Henry Rollins quote. (I had to google who he is!) There is a falling note to autumn that your post has captured perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding & collecting quotes is such a fun thing for me & this one was a new one. Now I have to Google Henry Rollins as I don't know anything about him, I just liked this quote.

      Delete
  5. There's a slight wistful elegaic quality to your photos ... a kind of "where have all the people gone?" feel. I really like these. And here's another who loves a good swing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alexa. It was not my original plan for 5 in 5 but as we wandered about the park, it just appeared to me as a good topic. Today was a perfect day for a swing moment or two!

      Delete
  6. The poor park does look a little sad, doesn't it? Ours is exactly the same, apart from the dog walkers. Early Septembers must be the same pretty much the world over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surprising how similar things are around the world. Today this particular park was back to full on use. Not only the dog walkers but there was a pig on a leash being walked there today!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful collection of park photos. They are so neat and resting now. Today I was passing some local empty parks, thinking same as you. School start September 1 here in Japan.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because we had a beautiful sunny day & it's the first Saturday after school started, the parks were all busy with life & laughter.

      Delete
  8. Great collection - but sad to see the summer hustle and bustle gone away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yes, school is back in around here, too . . . although in south Texas many schools are still struggling to repair & prep schools for a very late start next week!

    ReplyDelete