Monday, June 13, 2022

Me On A Monday - June 13th

 

Yellow & Purple Iris in my garden

                                    Greetings & Saluations!

Currently Reading: just finished, "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry".  It took me a bit to get into this book but I thoroughly enjoyed the story.  I kept having the feeling I had read before, but from my own reading history lists, I could not find it there.  I chuckled when  the main character, A.J. listed off books he doesn't enjoy, rather than books he does enjoy. A.J. may have started out as a bit of a "misery guts" but as the story is told, I felt A.J. changed to less of what's wrong to what's right.  Do you ever lead in a conversation things that are wrong, rather than things that are right?

I am also in the middle of "Atlas of the Heart, Mapping Meaning" another Dr Brene book.

Currently Watching: new to us, Dalgliesh, is a crime drama television series adaptation of the PD James books. While it was filmed in 2021, it is set in the 1970's. Slow to start but by the end of the first series we are hoping for more.

Currently In The Garden: over the last week we have had lots of rain; one day was an all day "woman's rain", gentle, steady & much needed.  With the cooler weather, there has been a slow reveal of many flowers, which is good because it means a longer lasting bloom time. Bud counts are high with promises of blooms for the herbaceous peonies, the poppies & clematis.

Currently Struggling: with sleep; the inability to fall asleep, and/or to stay asleep.  My GP doctor says that right now the inability to attain deep restorative sleep is epidemic in the population.  Doctors in my group feel this is a  post reaction to the last 2 1/2 years of isolation, fear & worry which effect our sleep hormones.  Was there any offer of help?  Yes. Deep breathing exercise, diligent practice of sleep hygiene (which means no TV, no computer, no exercise, no eating at least 2 hours before sleep) , reduction in caffeine in any form, reading is allowed as long as it's not too stimulating.  I think the 2 hours before is for those having difficulty with sleep, the standard recommendation is 1 hour before bed to stop all those things.  My Yoga instructor friend made the recommendation to add the exercise of legs up the wall; viparita karani about 10-20 minutes before bed - there are lots of uTube videos to show you how to do correctly.  We'll see if it helps, the cats think that during this yoga pose, I am nesting pillow for them! Oh yes, the doctor also said, no cats on the bed! Right.  

Are you having trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, waking way too early?  If yes, do you think it's post reaction to the pandemic? 

And I will leave you with this thought ... "I am working on reducing the use of four lettered words, like, cook, dust, bake."




19 comments:

  1. Love that last paragraph!
    I have a method of falling asleep which some may find uncomfortable, but I listen to a podcast with a little earplug in the ear which is not against the pillow! I put it on a sleep timer so it turns off after 15 minutes. I never remember hearing the last few minutes of the podcast so I must fall asleep before the 15 minutes is up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your method for falling asleep works I would say stay with it. I've tried the music or talking books & I do fall asleep but as soon as they stop, I jolt awake ... although chanting monks seem to have less of a jolt factor for me (col).

      Delete
  2. We have noticed much agitation and irritation with the pandemic. It is such a shame. We've settled into a bit of caution, masking, and things are easing. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worked with this sleep coach before, so she knows my "style" which helps in that I'm not starting at the beginning.

      Delete
  3. I certainly had trouble with sleep last night. It was one of those times when I got to sleep or very close to it. Then something awakened me, and I was pretty well toast,

    You'll enjoy Dalgleish. There was one episode that bothered me due to lack of forensic knowledge, but I'll stop there so as not to leave a spoiler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have posted about sleep woes as well John. I'm trying not to make not sleeping an issue or worry ... Finished all 3 stories of Dalgleish - I liked & I keep reminding myself things were different in the 70's but I really find that male DC of his MOST annoying.

      Delete
  4. My sleep is generally good although at this time of year I tend to wake a lot earlier than in autumn and winter and am tired as a result ... going to bed earlier doesn't make any difference, sadly. I hope you can get your sleep pattern sorted out, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being that I'm a worrier at the best of times, the pandemic certainly fueled my worry. My doctor assures me that most people do right themselves. Not sure if it's a good thing or not, but he's very reluctant to prescribe medication, he says it just delays the problem righting itself ... not sure if his thinking is current or out of date.

      Delete
  5. Waking in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep is an intermittent problem. I can't blame it on the pandemic, as it was a problem when I was working as well---and that goes back a long ways. I do stay away from any device for an hour or so before bed, but I read for awhile almost every night. Your iris are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling myself that some of the sleep woes are due to the fact I'm just so creative that my brain finds it difficult not to be thinking of next projects. Although when at 2:37AM my brain reminds me of something stupid I said in 1997, well that's not creative thinking. Those iris are having a really long bloom time this year.

      Delete
  6. I am working on ways to simplify my life as I think that will help me sleep. My sleep pattern hasn't changed much during the pandemic but now I am waking up some time between 5:00 and 6:00 a.m. every day. Need to get out of that bad habit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you say that Chris about simplifying, I was just listening to a de-cluttering expert & she said that physical clutter spills into sleep clutter. And this last week about 5am the birds are starting to sing the day into being & the light is starting to creep in which makes it so hard to fall back asleep .

      Delete
  7. Your irises are gorgeous! I have never seen purple and yellow iris, before.
    For me, it's not the falling asleep that is a problem, or even staying asleep - it is going to bed at a decent hour that is the problem! I am very reluctant to turn off the computer and get myself off to bed. My nightly ritual is to say my prayers and bless the house, walking from room to room, saying a prayer of blessing. If my mind is racing with various "things to do", I write them down. If I still can't shut off my mind, then, I say some prayers very slowly and that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a night time blessing route from room to room, I may adapt something of the same.

      Delete
  8. The yellow iris are stunning! I hope your sleep issues resolve themselves very soon - lack of good sleep affects our whole lives.
    I'm glad you enjoyed reading about AJ - definitely a quirky character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ was someone that I certainly would enjoy meeting up for tea, once in a while! His daughter certainly knew him well.

      Delete
  9. My sleep patterns have long been erratic as you know. I think they have improved more recently although I still have phases of good and bad. At the moment the pollen count is giving me appalling symptoms (or something is) and I find it really hard to fall asleep for sneezing and a blocked nose. Sometimes, I find it helpful to listen to a podcast or something when I lie down - but other times, if I am too awake, that is too stimulating. I hope you find a way to get good rest, sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone told me that playing music or a book at a sound level of hard to hear, helps her to fall asleep - I tried that, but I was listening to hard to hear & it stimulated me to a wide awake state. My sleep has been getting worse & I think reaching out to the doctor was in hopes he'd give me a short term prescription, but he said no, not yet. I cannot imagine trying to fall asleep sneezing or with a blocked nose - mouth breathing is not something I can do with any comfort. Hopefully pollen counts will drop soon.

      Delete
  10. Oh this darn pandemic, count me among those with erratic sleep patterns. Good luck with your anti-4-letter word crusade!

    ReplyDelete