Thursday, April 20, 2017

Take Three Thursday - April 20

If an effort to notice more in my life, I have decided to share what I have noticed this week in Take Three Thursday.  The idea is to take 3 photos that are linked some how; by theme, by colour, by date, by moment,  by points of view. There is no formal link in but please feel free to join in.   

What have you noticed this week?   
 
See what some others have noticed this week:  
Maggie at:  Farmers Wife Day By Day.   
Helena at: Helenascreativemaven

With Spring arriving & moving right into the neighbourhood, I noticed lots of the Mason bees about & that's a good thing.

Mason Bees are hyper-efficient air pollinators & can do wonders for our fruit & garden crops.  There is about 140 varieties of Mason Bees in North America, 200 types worldwide.  Nice thing about Mason Bees - they don't sting!  One thing I just learnt about Mason Bees, they require mud for their nests for the eggs to hatch in, it protects the newly hatched bee.






 




13 comments:

  1. great captures and beautiful flowers they are pollenating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helena. Mason bees apparently are the king/queen of pollenating, still so much to know about these little workers & friends of the garden.

      Delete
  2. Took me a while to find the bee in the last one. Beautiful pictures of your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Maggie, I thought these photos, from my perspective, showed the bees off. Umm perspective ...

      Delete
    2. Not meant as a criticism. I enjoyed looking for them!

      Delete
    3. no criticism taken - when I look at the photos I know what I am looking for so from my perspective yeah there, but you're right it's not so easy to see if you don't know where to find ... it is a good reminder to me to know my audience & make sure my photos are sharp - it's all good :-)

      Delete
  3. Great captures. I never knew they were called Mason bees. My new fact for the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local farmers are promoting the housing of Mason bees - the houses are being sold in almost every store, even the local variety & some craft stores like Michaels have a kid's Saturday workshop to make.

      Delete
  4. I had no idea about Mason bees. Do they look quite different than regular honey bees? Now I don't even know what I've been seeing at my place! Beautiful purple flowers. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn I think Mason bees are just a tad smaller than the honey bees & I think it is Mason bees that are out & about this early ... SO much to learn about the bees. The crocus were all so vibrant this spring, they knew about the dull January.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know that's what they are called either. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it interesting how the Universe presents stuff - yesterday I was interviewing a lady who has just taken up bee keeping & some of the interview time was taken up with discussing bees. I hope she gets the job because I would like to know more about backyard bee keeping.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos! Wish this was my backyard. We still have snow and it was snowing today. :(

    ReplyDelete