Monday, February 18, 2019

Me On A Monday - February 18th

Hello Everyone.  It's Family Day here in Ontario - a holiday.  Family Day isn't an old holiday & it was mostly designed to give us a break between the New Year & Easter breaks, although not all provinces & territories celebrate or if they do, not on the same day.

So what have I been up to?  Well most of my activities are all indoor varieties. I will claim the weather to be mostly at fault for that.  Ten days of snow/ice storms  does take a toll.  Getting out for fresh air has been difficult with so much ice underfoot.
Our front window coated in ice

I did not see my shadow on the 2nd - Ground Hog Day, so according to legend, an early spring, but I am sure that rather large rodent, Wiarton Willie tells tales.  Again the forecast for the week is calling for a few days of more snow ... in the words of the great philosopher, Poo - oh bother!
Add caption

Reading:  I've read "There There"by Tommy Orange,  which was a difficult book to read so it took me a while to finish. It tells the story of twelve characters from North American First Nations, each of whom have private reasons for traveling to the Big Oakland Powwow.  All 12 have difficult memories & stories that tell of prejudice towards First Nations.  I am still sitting with it so I am not sure I liked or didn't like.
I also read "The Diary of A Bookseller" by Shaun Bythell.  He owns The Bookshop, in Wigtown - Scotland's largest second hand bookshop. I found it an easy read, it flowed quite nicely but I must admit I was not keen on his dumpster diving shop assistant, Nicky.


Scrapping:  I vowed to myself at the start of the year I would keep track of the month by numbers & so far I'm true to my word.  I even created a page for January "A Month of Numbers" 
I also created a page for the garden album's January page.

And I finally got around to making the title page for our 2019 Day to Day album;

Cards:  I missed the January class because of my piriformis injury, but I did attend February's class & made these 4 cards, along one special birthday card for a lady at our church turning 75:


At home I made a couple of Valentine Day's cards



It's amazing what can be done when not wandering through Pinterest for hours on end.

Hope everyone has a delightful week & I leave you with a mash up of several quotes all rolled into one thought;

Hard work keeps the wrinkles out of the mind and spirit.” “If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.” “It's not knowing what to do, it's doing what you know.” “Someday is not a day of the week.
 


16 comments:

  1. It's good to see that the snowfall and cold has made you super productive ... although I do hope the weather clears up for you soon.
    Good to see that you enjoyed Shaun Bythell's book - he was actually quite disparaging about the people he interacted with, don't you find? I found the snippet about the young man with autism to be disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my productivity ties back to the topic you wrote about today. Regarding Shaun's book, for a diary I thought very well behaved, so it made me think he might have edited a few of his perhaps truer remarks. I agree about his young man helping in the shop, there could have been more & less about Nicky.

      Delete
  2. I like the selection of cards you have made. Did you write out the title page for 2019 yourself? I may have to pinch the idea for a calligraphy project ... once I've done a bit of practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. The words were from a free internet site & I cannot remember which one. Oh I'd like to see your calligraphy project, it's such an elegant way to write.

      Delete
  3. Ten days of snow and ice storms and then _more_ snow?! I'd be in hibernation lol, but you've certainly made good use of your time. Such beautiful art! T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had more snow over night & this morning, big fluffy stuff & not too much but still required Mr Man to shovel the driveway - again! I find crafting, playing with paper really restores my self.

      Delete
  4. The woman who used to be the librarian at the school where I used to work actually worked in that bookshop for a couple of weeks in the summer a few years back. She absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that the diary was well edited for flow & character jazz. I have read that the entire town of Wigtown has seen a huge increase in tourist traffic & this book certainly helps. I bet your friend has many tales - I'd like to know, did she know Nicky?

      Delete
  5. I had to google "piriformis" - sounds very unpleasant. I hope it didn't last too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew about this large muscle before but not from the pain of it. It took about 10 days to be able to sit & walk again - it's still sore but I'm told it can take weeks to heal such a large muscle. I am very good at doing my morning,noon & night stretches for it!

      Delete
  6. It looks like you've been busy while stranded inside, and crafted lots of nice projects. And, I absolute love that last quote - someday is not a day of the week. Indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanne. I collect quotes & this jumble of one came to me in an email & I thought perfect because it was very much like all the jumbled thoughts I was having.

      Delete
  7. You did a better job with There, There than I did. I started it, but couldn't get into it. My TBR list is SO LONG, I'm determined to read only books I enjoy or must read for one of my book groups. Love seeing your cards. I giggled when I read your comment about Pinterest. Isn't it the truth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There There is not a happy read for sure, but I am trying to understand more about our First Nations especially since reconciliation is on the news a lot. Not only do I loose track of time in Pinterest but I come out of it quite dis-satisfied with my own creating.

      Delete
  8. My, you have been busy! The cards are fabulous! And the ice on the window is amazing. Do you have to have special glass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just regular window glass - that was one of the freezing rain days & it took only a short 30 minutes to cover the front windows with solid ice - thankfully the next day most of it had slide off. Creating something is all in effort to keep the dragon at bay.

      Delete