Monday, November 07, 2022

Me On A Monday - November 7th

 

Good Morning one & all.  We experienced record breaking temperatures of mild this weekend.  For us on Saturday the temperatures got up to +24 and the sun was shining brightly. Not the typical November days.  Plus on Saturday we turned our clocks back one hour - now living in "standard time".  I look forward to the time when we don't move the clocks anymore.  For us in Ontario we are waiting for Quebec & New York State (US of A) to make up their minds about it,  since the 3 of us trade & do business together.

Currently Reading:  Want by Lynn Steger Strong. While the book is well written, the story was depressing for me. One of the jacket recommendations said "Want is honest & funny & profoundly moving"  I never found anything funny or amusing about the story & as for being honest, well again IMO, it was a depressing honesty.  

I've got 12 books on request at the library, many are not published until late November through to January. I am so excited about Louise Penny's latest to be released November 22nd.  I've also started my quest for Christmas themed stories.  I will be re-reading, in December, the gem of a Christmas book I discovered by chance last year; Christmas Days; 12 Stories, 12 Feasts for 12 Days.

Currently Watching: Nothing really. We will quit our subscription to Crave TV this week, once House Of The Dragon finished, I've not found anything on this expensive paid channel. 

Currently Curious: I read an article about a woman burning up the internet with her question about "do you make people take off their shoes at the front door"  Dah, yes, of course.  But after reading the article & comments, it seems this is a Canadian thing. Really?  I wouldn't dream of wearing my outside shoes into someone's home, I always take a pair of slippers with me or another pair of  house only shoes.  Any of our guests automatically slip off their shoes when coming in. We have a slipper basket at the door.  And come to think of it, health care offices that I go to also have a bin of slippers or shoe covers at the door. So is this a Canadian thing? Do you and/or your guests take off your street shoes when entering someone's home?

And I will leave you with this thought for week:  "many may drink at the fountain of knowledge, but it seems there are some only gargling!"



18 comments:

  1. Good morning and happy Monday! We, too, moved our clocks back to Standard Time, this weekend! As for taking off ones shoes when entering someone's home, this is a custom in most Asian countries and cultures; I didn't realize that it was done in Canada, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure why Canadians do this, but it could be as someone pointed out, our months of messy types of weather.

      Delete
  2. Removing your shoes is not a thing in the Midwest USA, although I do appreciate it that workmen usually do so when they come, or some bring cloth covers for their shoes. Of course, if you are coming in from bad weather, it is the done thing. I would, of course, happily ditch mine if asked, but that only happened once when a friend had me over to see her brand new home. I was glad it wasn't summer, because if I was wearing sandals, I would have weird about bare-footing around someone else's home. You are the first person that I know prepared enough with slippers to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the slipper basket is a Canadian thing (col). Thankfully all the slippers are of the washable & stretchable kind.

      Delete
  3. We always take our shoes off. We live in a forest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment makes me chuckle. I know from your wildlife cam shares you just never know who or what things you'll track into the house.

      Delete
  4. Sue also has Penny's book on order -- the audio version. Meanwhile, I look forward to the Gamache series on Prime next month. I don't know what book it will be using for the plot.

    As for shoes, we don't ask, but everyone does it. I think it is because we have about 6 months of messy winter that we get used to removing footwear. The most obsessive guy I know, in his house, is a bachelor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for Prime's Three Pines, I think it uses a few of the first book story lines. We don't subscribe to Prime. I'm not sure I want to watch, so I look forward to your review.

      Delete
  5. I am another who did not know that shoe removal at the front door is a thing in Canada. We take our shoes off when we come in and wear slippers indoors, but we are fairly laid back with visitors ... most of our ground floor does not have carpet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it seems that this isn't just a thing in Canada, which makes me once again believe we are more alike than not. :)

      Delete
  6. Now I need to check and see if I have Penny's new book on a hold, too. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading reviews of the book & all have been 100% positive & glowing. Are you going to watch Prime's Three Pines series?

      Delete
  7. I take my shoes off at the door both in my home and when I visit others. It's a very common practice over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people, most countries have the same practice, so glad it is not a weird Canadian thing after all.

      Delete
  8. I would never dream of keeping my shoes on indoors! All my friends and family always remove their outdoor shoes at the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So interesting! For my part, I am surprised to learn that shoe removal is such a universal thing in Canada. I associate it famously with Japan, S Korea etc., and I also recall it was the norm, if not so fastidiously practised, in India. Here, I would not say it is the norm exactly. When I was growing up I had only one friend whose mother policed shoe removal at the door. The family's slippers were laid out in the porch, but no guest slippers like you would expect to be given in Japan. These days, I know many more people who habitually remove their shoes indoors, but they are still in a minority. I always do, because I became conditioned to it in Japan, but I don't take my own slippers with me unless I am staying the night, and I would never tell people to take their shoes off in my house, unless it was particularly wet/muddy outside - in which case I am sure I would not have to say it. I have only once been told to take my shoes off in another person's house, which annoyed me - not because I disagreed with it but because I was about to do it anyway and felt pre-judged!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only read 4 or 5 of the Inspector Gamache books but I did really enjoy them. i need to find out where I am and get the next one.
    I've lived in California, Florida and now Indiana and I don't believe anyone ever expected me to remove my shoes. If I had stepped in mud or something, yes I would have taken them off on the front porch.

    ReplyDelete