Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Wisdom

 Respectful Ways To Offer Advice


"are you open to advice or are you just wanting to vent? I can follow you down either road"

"you probably already tried this, but what about ...?"

"it's not like I'm an expert, but I'm thinking out loud, what about ....?"

"I don't know all the details, so I might be missing an important piece, but have you tried ..."

"stop me if what I'm saying isn't resonating with you because I want you to feel heard, but one time I was in a similar predicament & I tried ..."

                    ... from the Secure Relationship

9 comments:

  1. These are lovely! I'm inclined to state 'I need to vent,' to be able to vent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all good ways to offer advice, in ways that make the other person more receptive to what you are saying! It took me a long time to figure out that some people are just venting and not looking for advice or solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What good advice on how to offer advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ways to not jump straight in/take the time to think about what might be needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giving advice is always a tough one! As a senior in high school, Sarah told me she did NOT want advice, she only wanted me to listen. As a freshman in college, she totally changed her mind about that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good options! The way advice is offered can make all the difference to the way it is received. Unsolicited wisdom from people who haven't bothered to find out the whole story really winds me up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very tactful. No one could take offense with these kind comments.

    ReplyDelete