Wednesday, November 04, 2015

So Many Potential Pies

Linking in with Helena's Pairs at:  http://helenascreativemaven.blogspot.ca/

My Pairs this week are two displays of two types of pumpkins.  I was assured by the Produce Manager at the store that both bins of pumpkins would be perfect for roasting the flesh & the seeds.  I was hungry when I was at the store so all I saw was potential pumpkin pie.  It was also a time when green was the new orange - I had major pumpkin envy.   Last year Lady Ella & I grew pumpkins together, separated by the big pond.  We compared notes throughout the season.  Lady Ella had much more success than I did.  You can read all about our  her success here: Lady Ella's Final Pumpkin Report

Display One:  The typical round orange pumpkin, perfectly suited for carving & then perfect for the compost heap.  These are usually used for carving the scary Jack-O-Lateran on Halloween night.  Apparently if you use for the Jack-O-Lateran you should not then use for eating, this was the number one & repeated advice from Mr Produce Man.    
 









Display Two:  Is the ornament pumpkins, which seem to have become more & more the norm.  There are a variety of colours, even bi-coloured & some with grown in natural patterns.  I am sure most of these found them selves in dining room sideboard displays.  I didn't capture on film but there were a few white pumpkins.








24 comments:

  1. they all look fabulous but a shame few will be eaten as it seems such a waste of good food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drove by a pumpkin field on the weekend & there were still so many out in the field - I wonder if they will be harvested for canned pumpkin. I hope so.

      Delete
  2. They both look lovely and very seasonal. That is one thing I have learnt through blogging is how much pumpkins are used for displays in the States

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkins do signal Autumn & yes the Americans have quite the talent for using pumpkins in their decorating, although I think Canadians are quickly catching up. I think we use more for Thanksgiving as ours is earlier.

      Delete
  3. What a great pair of pumpkin pics. I love to have a pumpkin in the house, I rarely carve it, just photograph the poor thing to death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a big carver either. I prefer to have as a food.

      Delete
  4. I love all the new pumpkins..but the traditional orange are still my favorite...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White pumpkins seem to be the rage - traditional orange is probably the only time I like the colour orange ... well except for orange jube jubes!

      Delete
  5. I've become a huge fan of those hybrid pumpkins, but can't imagine Halloween without the traditional orange jack o' lantern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the shape of the turban pumpkins but nothing says Halloween like an orange carved one.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know there were so many types of pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if we can change it, bred it, we will (lol). I see a lot of the mini pumpkins & I wonder if they didn't start out as the odd ones but now they breed for the tinest ...

      Delete
  7. I love pumpkins!!! I've never seen the small green ones before. Fun pairs this week, Mary-Lou! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Product Manager man tells me that the green are not unripen pumpkins but a new type of pumpkin. This last few weeks have educated me on pumpkin growing to the max! (lol)

      Delete
  8. Funnily enough my kitchen table is currently adorned with two large pumpkins, as well as a heap of recipes I didn't get round to trying last year (and one I want to do again). I have already photographed the gourds to show you but can't seem to get much further at the moment! Hang in there!
    Anyway, I hope the jack-o'-lantern advice isn't a superstition or something I'm meant to know about because last year I used up all the flesh I scooped out of Puny before carving him. Can't abide waste!
    PS Keep forgetting to ask how you fared with the beetroot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Puny was just fine, Mr Produce man I think meant that don't use a jack o lantern sitting outside for a few days they use for food consumption. Although once again the raccoon prowl & steal right off porches for food (nasty blitters)

      Delete
  9. Fabulous photos - although your idea of pumpkin pie sounds even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes give me pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin donuts .. well you get the idea Pumpkin = good Food = good Pumpkin food = excellent!

      Delete
  10. I love your pumpkin photos... all our pumpkins in New Zealand tend to be the green ones... love all the orange ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How attractive they all look! Your photos really show up the colours and textures. We don't get as big a variety over here - in my childhood, we'd never seen a pumpkin and used to carve lanterns out of turnips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe turnips are the fore runners & originators of Hallow's Eve lanterns. Growing the biggest pumpkin is a main feature of so many Autumn Fairs, some get so big that they require forklifts to move. Me, I just think how many pumpkin pies they would make :-)

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a neat pair - I'm kind of liking the different colour ones - so did you buy one for pie making? How was it?

    ReplyDelete