Friday, November 13, 2015

Please I Need Some Answers



HELP, please.  I need someone to explain to me about this Elf on The Shelf. 

From what I have read, the Elf is suppose to monitor good/bad behaviour of the child & report back to Santa. The parents are to move the Elf nightly & children are told not to touch the Elf because it takes away his Santa magic.   Did I get that part correct?





From The Internet


So if that is the intention, what's with all the Pinterest stuff about the pranks, mayhem & naughtiness the Elf is up to? Some of the antics are quite creative.  I know I have a great sense of humour, I laugh freely.  So what am I missing about the naughty Elf?  What does Santa think?
 
Now, not wanting to offend anyone, absolutely not, especially those of you with Elves on Shelves, but I just don't understand, is this a case of adults taking over again???

And wanting to be the cool Auntie & GodMother, along with being this year's intended hostess for the North Pole Breakfast, I need to be sure I'm totally in sync & the know about all the Twinkles, Snowflakes, Elvis's & Buddies out there.  

Thanks for your help. 






12 comments:

  1. I think you got it exactly right, from what I understand anyway. My children were a little too old when this particular tradition/craze began. I do find the naughty elf antics very funny though and that's the path I'd be tempted to take!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with an Elf, how can one be upset over his/her antics (lol) although I would hate to be the one cleaning up after the Elf!

      Delete
  2. We have no tradition of Elf on the Shelf here so I can't answer I'm afraid. All I know is what I've seen on Pinterest. But I have to admit I think it looks like fun. I might have given it a go if it had been around when my two were little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could hear my Mother saying "oh sure it's funny until someone gets a candy cane in the eye." I wonder if the creators of said Elf knew that his good would be turned to all "this" on Pinterest?

      Delete
  3. Sorry Mary-Lou! Never heard of it. Good luck (bet you are an amazing Godmother and aunt!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Ella. I have my moments of being a good Auntie, although because of the who, I am doing better with my latest GodChild, her Mom lets me be the fun one ...and maybe because she isn't blood family, it's easier.

      Delete
  4. I've only heard of it over the last year or two and my three are well past the Santa stage. I have seen a blog where the Elf sometimes brings little gifts (cookies, hot chocolate sachets, small inexpensive items or a DVD to sit and watch together).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like an Elf to bring gifts, um that gives me an idea for the planned North Pole Breakfast. Past Santa!! Never, if you don't believe you get underwear.

      Delete
  5. I wish I could help, but I am afraid the Elf was too late for me and my own Littlies and doesn't seem to be much in evidence over here. I have to say that I have an inbuilt resistance to anything which tells children they are being watched and reported on, so I'd have been most unlikely to have given one houseroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have Santa watching issues. I do think the originator's intention was all good as kids can get quite wild pre-Christmas, but again I think it has evolved into something different.

      Delete
  6. LOL. This post made me laugh, Mary-Lou. I am SO happy Elf on a Shelf wasn't around when my daughter was little. It seems like an awful lot of pressure to move him around and be creative all those nights before Christmas! Just one more thing to take care of, I think. ;o) And of course, some people really go overboard with making it seem like he's up to mischief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could bring you a laugh. The more I read & the more checking out the prices of the authentic Elf on The Shelf, I am not going to be able to incorporated him/her into my plans. BUT I think I have a fairly good alternative, which does NOT involve my cats in Santa hats.

      Delete