Monday, March 18, 2019

Me On A Monday - March 18th

 


Not a lot going on in this part of the world for me.  I think I'm still feeling a little over whelmed by the senseless terrorist attack in New Zealand last Friday.  I think it now makes all people  feel un-safe in their place of worship.  I have far too many feelings & not enough words to say anything more.

 
I finally finished reading "The Book of Forgiving" by Desmond Tutu & his daughter, Mpho Tutu.  It's the book our Bishop recommended for Lenten study.  I did not enjoy. It's just not a style of writing that I found engaging.  I personally found the book, "The Magic of Forgiveness" a better read & more inspiring.  A friend loaned me her copy of the book "The Shack" -  a novel about forgiveness.  It was made into a move, which is currently playing on the movie network. I'll get started on that later this week, both the reading of & watching of.

Nothing in the shopping cart this week of note, other than food.  I was quite taken back by the final total in this week's shop -WOW there has been a sharp increase in food prices, especially fresh veg & fruit.  My friend with two young hollowed legged boys (14 & 16) says she might have to do a schedule where they eat every other day because of the rising costs of food.  I am spending much more time price matching with the flyers we get every Thursday night in the paper.  I pick two of all the different grocery stores because driving around to get the best deal or to save a few cents on some items is defeated by the cost of gas. So I pick just two & usually it's the same two; Zehrs & No Frills.  

I am looking forward to celebrating the arrival of Spring this Wednesday (5:58pm).  Last week we had temperatures above 0 for several days which resulted in a lot of ice & snow melt, but then quite suddenly on Friday the temperatures dropped & again everything is covered in a thick layer of ice.  Makes walking very dangerous.


 I hope that everyone has a very good week,with something to look forward to that will spark joy & a sense of love ...
 

18 comments:

  1. The ice must be worse than the snow!

    The attack in NZ is scary and nowhere feels safe anymore. I think the worst part is that, awful as it is, we are getting used to these atrocities- it makes you wonder what the future will be like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree ice is worse at least with just snow you can walk through it, in it - ice hides!

    I was surprised at how quickly this attack became a 2nd or 3rd story in the news! One of the commentators of an Australian news show gave an excellent commentary on the NZ attack - sadly he is bang on. The Project - Waleed Aly, I tried to link it in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aenKvQtrM1k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the whole world is in shock over what happened in New Zealand, somewhere I had always thought of as 'safe'.
    After all that snow, I think ice is even worse - too many opportunities to slip and fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a world, as a society I think we are on the edge of a cliff, about to fall off if we don't do something about all the anger, hate & sense of entitlement which includes the climate crisis ... it wrenches at my soul.

      Delete
  4. These attacks are horrifying. I was encouraged by the NZ leaders putting forward calls for real change to deal with it. I get sick of "thoughts and prayers" :(

    Ice is much worse than snow. You can play in snow, but ice just leads to injuries. It'll be good to have warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree snow can be fun to play or walk in. Ice is bad. At the clinic I work at (there's more to tell) we have had a hug increase in broken bone rehabilitation physio. Arms, legs, hips & not just the older population.
      Yes thoughts & prayers aren't going to solve the gun problems & I don't think there's a country out there that doesn't have illegal gun problems.

      Delete
  5. At least New Zealand is acting quickly to legislate more gun control to try to prevent it. Makes me ashamed of my country that we have the most gun violence and can't seem to pass ANY legislation around strict background checks or limits on gun ownership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's encouraging that NZ wants to change some of their gun laws, I know they tried a few years back but got a real push back against it. I don't mean to be critical but I cannot believe the gun passion in the USofA, how many children have to die in school shootings before there's a change. And having said that, Canada especially Toronto is having a very difficult time with gun crime, so many illegal guns are finding their way into readily available hands. Sad, oh so sad.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure the ice is a real curse but the last photo makes me wish I could go on a photo expedition with you for just a couple of hours. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lady Ella that would be such fun roaming about together to find the near perfect photo.

      Delete
  7. The news from new Zealand was so shocking, I don't have the words to articulate how I feel.
    Please take care with all that ice and I do hope Spring arrives on time for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. I am hoping that when Spring does arrive, I can move on from reporting the weather to celebrating what's growing in my garden (col).

      Delete
  8. Like Cheri, I am horrified by the mass shooting in New Zealand, and equally horrified that our government seems unable to act to prevent further tragedies.
    We woke up to 2" of new snow this morning; beautiful! But by this afternoon, all of it was gone. There's a good chance for spring temperatures for a couple of days. I'll take any warmth I can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why governments are so slow to resolve the gun issues, although our guns are just a tad tighter than yours, they are still lacking BUT having said that, it's the illegal gun trade that is our biggest problem (right now). Yes that morning snow yesterday had me quite in despair but the wonderful all day sunshine melted the snow & brought me around :)

      Delete
  9. The tragedy is New Zealand is so sad. I'm honestly not sure how gun control will keep guns out of the hands of criminals & those who want to do harm ... they always find a way to get them anyway.

    We've had sunshine & warmer temperatures this week. The Bradford pears have bloomed & are turning green now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're right Melissa about those that want a gun will get a gun, I'm all for making it as difficult as possible though. Our temperatures are rising - fingers crossed.

      Delete
  10. I don't know what to say about the attacks either; our world has just gone crazy. I read The Shack a few years back and enjoyed it - the story pulled me in pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did finishing reading The Shack & watching the movie. I liked both & though, especially, the book, addressed forgiveness very well.

      Delete