Monday, May 06, 2019

Me On A Monday - May 6th


Angel Thought: For May is Power.  The card indicates not to be afraid of your own power of divine love & of your intellectual power.  Something to think about.

The Clear Out:  Sorting & de-cluttering continues.  What I've gotten rid of are things that were given to me.  I figured if I really got tough in this category I would not feel so bad as I did not buy, so I am not struggling with the guilt of wasted money. I have a couple bags of clothes & shoes that one of my shopaholic sisters has given me over the years - most of it I never wore or never felt good wearing it.  Our tastes are very different, plus she has smaller feet than me!  The other category was a strange one, but planting pots, decorative mostly but again not something I would buy for myself.   We also did a massive amount of shredding.  Why were we keeping 2015 statements for the gas bill?  I have no answer but now for all the utilities we have just 3 months for each.  

Reading: Just finished another Louise Penny book, Bury Your Dead.  I really liked this book. Through the stories being told, the author talks more about the struggles between English Canada & French Canada.  It's quite enlightening.
 
Also in the middle of The Corner's Lunch.


 Made:  Attended a card workshop last night, made three cards.  One of them was a lot of fussy cutting & fussy stamping.  One was a dark one, not a favourite, stamping dark colours on dark paper & the last one was a card with a detachable bookmark.


 It's Official:  Spring is here!  The Osprey are back, all three nests on the lake front are occupied.  Spotted a Blue Heron in a farmer's pond. And some are lucky enough to have daffodils & tulips blooming in their gardens - mine are still in promise mode.  

Yesterday the farmer turned over the field to get ready for planting.  Last year was Winter Wheat so this year it will be corn if he stays true to his rotation.  


"Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book."  - Jane Smiley,  Thirteen Ways of Looking at the Novel

17 comments:

  1. How nice to see a photo showing that your snow has finally gone!
    I love the colours in that first card, and also what a good idea to have a little extra gift of a book mark in the last one. Nice to have something to keep once the birthday cards have gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that "s" word, gone for several months at least :)

      I would like to recreate the first card at home & re-try some of the stamping techniques.

      Delete
  2. I too like the colours of the first card and the addition of the bookmark on the third one.

    Enjoy the arrival of spring. Can we expect photos of the ospreys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to get photos of the ospreys will be/would be difficult, their nests are incredibly high up but having said that, I should make this a photo goal this summer. They are a large bird. Where their nests are the highway has no stopping/no parking & the road runs between two sides of the lake. I'll try. :)

      Delete
  3. Love the first card; worth all the stamping and fussy cutting! Glad you're seeing signs of spring as well. After two warmer days, almost all the trees are leafing and it's finally more green than brown. I'm good now, even on rainy days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can almost hear the tree buds popping - green fuzz on all the trees. Rest of the week is calling for rain, but at least it will be a warm rain ...

      Delete
  4. The cards are very pretty! The first is my fave. I like having someone else step me through the making of cards, I am not as comfortable with that as scrapping. At church on Sunday, our farmers were complaining that it is far too wet to start planting so they will start late this year. I didn't share with them that I loved rainy weekends for scrapbooking - I don't think they'd appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the life of a crop farmer would be so stressful having to rely on the weather to get things done. I have discovered a few uTube sources to walk me through some of the special folds & stamping techniques - I'm still such a beginner.

      Delete
  5. Hurray for the shredding and sorting! Must be a great feeling. And even better: the official heralding of spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sorting is feeling like quite the achievement. I think I'm still in shock of how much paperwork had to be shredded.

      Delete
  6. I have more trouble getting rid of gifts than stuff I bought myself lol A misplaced sense of guilt, definitely. Clothes not being worn, though, needs to go, I agree. It's hard, but I'm slowly but surely paring down. On the other hand, if we were neighbors I'd be scavenging your plant pots lol

    I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the Cotterill book.

    I like all 3 cards, but especially the idea of a detachable bookmark. Cool! I don't see ospreys here, but herons aren't uncommon in the parks that have lakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd gladly give you what pots you wanted. I saw a pile of pots that I had collected for the outside plantings - I've had the brilliant idea to put those pots at the end of the driveway with a sign that says free - what's left will go to the recycle centre. So far I'm enjoying Siri's sense of humour in The Corner's Lunch.

      Delete
    2. Free pots! The neighbors will love you :) The mix of serious and light-hearted is part of what I like in those books.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great to see an image of the farmer at work - surely a true sign of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday one of the farmers (downwind) spread manure on his fields - now that was a true smell of spring (lol).

      Delete
  9. Way to go on the decluttering! We recently went through our kitchen appliance pantry and let go of a few things that were given to us - nice but not really practical for us. It was so freeing to make space for other things we enjoy more.

    Your cards turned out love! I especially like the happy colors and layering on that first one.

    So glad y'all are finally enjoying springtime!!

    ReplyDelete