Monday, September 16, 2019

Me On A Monday - September 16th

Good Morning.  We had quite a wet weekend with lots of rain that was mingled with thunder & lightening.  While our wet weather was not from Hurricane Dorian, I read that this hurricane was even affecting weather in Scotland! I also read that "the black blob" in the Pacific is again building & will impact our winter weather.  The blob is an area of water that is heating rather than cooling.  

With that late & cold damp spring we had, we are still seeing the effects in things like an over abundance of Eastern "tent" caterpillars.  We do see them every year but usually just in their favourite tree of choice - regionally it is the black walnut tree, but this year they are in every thing; trees, shrubs, plants.  Nasty things.  I know some folks that cut the branch off & burn the whole nest.  The only chemical treatment is banned in Canada.  

Currently watching on loan from the library, the DVD  series,  George Gently.  We just wrapped up series 6 & only 2 series to go.  We have had two other series recommended to us, Inspector Morse (which I think is a really old series) & Inspector Lewis (a spin off from Inspector Morse).  Our librarian recommended Inspector Morse series because we watch the Endeavour series which apparently is the prequel to Inspector Morse.  British crime series are the best.

I have some very late in the season sunflowers about to bloom - very tiny blooms but still a show.  These sunflowers were planted by the chipmunks - I scattered sunflower seeds about the garden for them to forage on.  I guess one of them thought hiding a few seeds in my flower pot was a good idea. 

I laughed quite a bit this week when in the mail we received an advertising  card from a local realtor.
 

In case it doesn't show well, the card says "Things To Do In August" and then lists 4 activities that all take place in September.
Details, not only is God hiding in them, but so is the important  information. 

I hope everyone has a good week.   A reminder that the last link in for SPSH is Monday September 30th.  How are you doing with your search?

14 comments:

  1. Oh those nests of caterpillars gave me the creeps! I can see why people would want to destroy them if there is nothing else you can do.
    I, too was a fan of Inspector Morse, Endeavour and Lewis. I think they must have run out of ways to extend the series now though, we've had the before, the during and the after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. without getting gross, close up to the webs/nests is teeming with little alive creepies ... I would not every share a close up of that!! I wondered if Lawrence Fox, aka Hathaway, was going to have his own series.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I like that in most of the British series, the murder site is often implied rather than showing the gristly bits; our imaginations are left to fill in the blanks. In the first Morse, the death was by hanging, but we saw only the shadow of her for seconds ... but yet we fully understood what had happened.

      Delete
  3. I don't fancy the idea of a nest of caterpillars, if I'm honest with you.
    The weather here in London was glorious over the weekend, but it's very cloudy today.
    Inspector Morse and Lewis are both very good - in fact, some of Lewis was actually shot in our part of London, not in Oxford at all, and I once had the privilege of seeing Kevin Whateley and Lawrence Fox filming outside a rather lovely house at the end of our road!
    PS: am all done with the Scavenger Hunt ... *smug face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done with SPSH finds! I think it would be fun to see any of these series being filmed. Our little village is often the site for commercials, music vids & some movies, but filming is strictly off limits to we mere mortals.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed George Gently and was sorry to see it end. We watched Morse before the other series were available, and I always loved them. We've enjoyed Endeavor and Lewis, too. If you like John Thaw as Morse, you might enjoy a series called Kavanagh QC in which he plays a barrister https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kavanagh_QC .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George Gently reminds me a little of the book series written by Louise Penny about C.I. Armand Gamache. I'll check out Kavanagh QC. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Another fan of Morse and Lewis here, especially the Lewis series. Vera, Shetland and Foyle's War are three more worth considering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our love of Vera is what has turned us to the other series. I must look up Shetland & I think we saw most of Foyle's War (need to check that too).

      Delete
    2. How about New Tricks, Silent Witness, The Inspector Lynley Mysteries, or A Touch of Frost?

      Delete
    3. Thanks for those suggestions. We have seen some New Tricks & some Silent Witness, & liked so yes, let's see what the library has. I've not heard of Touch of Frost & we tried Inspector Lynley but we couldn't get ourselves wrapped around the actor, maybe we'll give him another chance :) They all have to be available through the library for us to watch.

      Delete
  6. I personally think Morse is much better than the spin offs Lewis and Endeavour. I can't imagine watching those with no prior knowledge of Morse.
    I too laughed at the card with lots of things to do in August!
    I know I haven't been around much but I am preparing my SPSH post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that you are in for the final link in for SPSH. I know you have been busy with the re-built/move in/farming ... always look forward to an update from you. :)

      Delete