Monday, February 01, 2021

Me On A Monday - February 1st

Good morning & aren't we glad to be welcoming a new month - February, short & sweet but hosting so many days of celebration.

First there's Tuesday the 2nd - Ground Hog Day; if the little rodent sees his shadow we get 6 more weeks of winter, if no shadow, an early spring - you may also know this day as Candlemas Day.

Then there's Friday February 12th - Chinese New Year.  It is the year of the metal Ox.  Which builds into Sunday the 14th - Valentine's Day, a day to celebrate love & chocolate.


 Monday the 15th is Family Day in Ontario, which is a Stat Holiday, meaning that there's a day off work with pay.  Although many are working from home, so very little difference will be felt.

And right after that, it's Tuesday the 16th, Pancake Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday.


Currently Reading: finished a small read, On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons From the 20th Century by Timothy Snyder - it gave 20 points to think about democracy. I can think of an entire political party that should read as it touches on how fragile democracy really is.  

Re-reading several of Louise Penny's previous books & VERY excited as she names her latest book, to be released in August; The Madness of the Crowds

Currently Watching:  On TV, All Creatures Great & Small, to which I have warmed up to the characters.  We also bought a few movies through the local re-use video chain, The Beat Goes On; Crazy Rich Asians & Amazing Grace.

Currently Receiving:   happy mail from a blogging friend.  She made a really nice hand made card with treat inside. It's these moments that makes me feel, all will be right in the world again because of kind people.

Currently Eating:  I have been doing a lot of cook once, eat twice recipes as a way of changing up the menu & also reducing my attachment to making every single meal ... I'll say no more.  We have enjoyed vegetarian stroganoff, impossible lasagna, & a family treasure/favourite, what we call goulash. I've also found a few new recipes that I can adapt to being meatless or turned to vegetarian meat replacement options.


Currently Thinking - finally some action from our federal government regarding travel restrictions.  And really, who in their right mind is traveling right now? 

- Starting next week international passenger flights must land in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal. In addition to pre-boarding test already required, a second test will be required when arriving to Canada. Travelers will have to wait up to 3 days at an approved hotel for their test results at their own expense (expected to be more than $2K). Those with negative tests results will be able to quarantine at home; those with positive tests will immediately be required to quarantine at designated gov’t facilities.
-In the coming weeks, non-essential travelers will be required to show a negative test before entry at the land U.S. border

Four airlines have also done the right thing to discourage anyone from thinking about travel during "March Break"- Air Canada, WestJet, Sunwing and Air Transat (airlines) cancelling air service to Caribbean destinations and Mexico effective this Sunday and until April 30th. Returning Canadians from Mexico & the Caribbean have until February 14th to get home, after that no returning flights.

Currently Participating: I have decided to participate in The 100 Day Project which started yesterday, January 31st & runs for 100 days (May 10th)  My projects will include many UFO (unfinished projects) & PHD (projects half done) both in scrap pages & cards.  In the card element I have a number of Paper Pumpkin card subscription boxes not even completely opened.  My goal for them is to have them made into cards or incorporated into scrap pages.  A sub goal for the card kits is; collect no more!   The photo is of my craft table all ready for action.

On Sunday I created 5 scrap pages for my Christmas album; here's a sampling ... in the top left hand corner of the first page is a photo of our home - that's why it's covered.  I have yet to finish the journaling.

And today I'll leave you with this thought ...  "crafting fills my life, & my closet, & my cupboards & my drawers & every tote bag in the house ..."

16 comments:

  1. Down here in our country, I agree that every political party needs to read up on Democracy - and for good measure, look up the definition of hypocrisy before speaking. It's not just tyranny if the other guy is doing it - it's that we cannot recognize when we are doing the same thing and somehow think that is different and therefore okay. Why can't they see that has led to similar excesses and was dangerous too? Maybe we need more Moms in positions of power who can teach that, like we would teach our own children, because clearly immaturity seems to be problem as well.

    I may take on the 100 day challenge starting today. I need something to bring some focus from the now until spring. I am glad you are sharing your scrapbooking - nice layout. And I laughed at that last sentence, I seem to have accumulated many, many tote bags related to scrapping but have been using them to take donations to Goodwill as a way of trimming down my excess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought about the 100 Day Project - it could help me to focus on crafting & getting some things made.

      Delete
  2. And February is sort of the last month of winter. Sort of ... temperatures do begin to moderate in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, hopefully, Wiarton Willie did not see his shadow, so just maybe an early release from spring.

      Delete
  3. So much in your post today---Indeed, if anything was learned from January 6th in the US, it's that democracy is more fragile than you'd like it to be. I just finished The Better Man, and am taking a short break before starting her last book. There are two 100 Day Projects. I've participated in the one you're doing three different times, and each time the outcomes were very satisfying. This year The100DayProject (as opposed to #100DayProject is focusing on a weekly commitment, and I thought that was more manageable and am incorporating it into my sketchbook goal for 2021. It started in December, and aside from the two weeks I was sidelined I've kept up. With the course I'm taking, I should be caught up in another week. And, as you well know, I totally relate to the final quote. Need to focus on making my valentines, as it's only 2 weeks away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the world where democracy is practiced has received a bit of a shake up because of Jan 6th. It is never a bad thing to be reminded of the gift we have.

      I doubt I'll be sitting each & every day at my craft table, but maybe, just maybe, I get through the PHD's.

      Delete
  4. There's certainly a lot packed into this short month!

    I need to branch out in my eating, as I've gotten into the habit of eating one of the bean soups in the freezer. A bit more variety would be good for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice that since mid December the rotation of recipes was quite small. Thankfully Mr Man is easy to feed & he isn't a picky eater.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha, just laughed out loud at that quotation! :) Glad you're joining in with the 100 Day Project - am hoping it will give our days more of a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been easy to just languish in sorting or organizing rather than actually creating. Who knows maybe I'll get to creating one of those delightful sprinkle circles!

      Delete
  6. Well, that turned out to be an uplifting sort of read! Various things to look forward to and although not all relevant to me, it did make me get online and order a book for an upcoming birthday. (Funnily enough I had pancakes a couple of times recently .. I really like them and wonder every on Shrove Tuesday why I don't make them more often.) Anyway ... your flagging up that it's 16/2 makes me realise Easter is early this year. Need to check that out but whatever - it heralds spring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Ella I am glad I was able to lift your spirits, if only briefly. We had pancakes for dinner last week, they are quick & easy to make & I even sometimes add blueberries to them. I believe Easter is first Sunday in April - yes a herald to spring & spring like weather.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you'll be busy in February! Lots of special days in the month, too! Ha, ha, I can identify with the crafting filling every closet and drawer and tote bag! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is the 2nd & our local groundhog did NOT see his shadow, so it's a time of celebration ... now to see if there's a cake to be made!

      Delete
  8. I didn't realise February was so full of things to celebrate and enjoy! Although it's my birthday month, it's not one I've ever liked, really - but perhaps I need to reconsider. I hadn't come across PHDs before - that made me smile! I've only one goal this month and that's to gather together all my paper layouts of whatever size into one (or two) albums, whether from unfinished (usually December Daily) projects or completed layouts and call it a day on ever 'completing' them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexa not sure the date in February, but I do hope when ever it is you celebrate the day you came into being, is simply marvelous. I have 10 birthdays of family & friends to add to February's celebrations - three birthdays are on the same day!

      Delete