Wednesday, February 03, 2021

Wisdom Paused To Pay Tribute

Today I'm pausing on sharing wisdom to pay tribute to a true hero, Captain Sir Thomas Moore, known to the world as Captain Tom. 

Captain Tom passed away yesterday.  He had contracted COVID.

This is the gentlemen, who turned 100 years of age in April of 2020, walking at his retirement home, in the garden to help raise money for the British National Health Services.  

He captured the world's heart as a hero & inspiration of the pandemic & the first lockdowns. For months there were nightly news reports & photos of Captain Tom walking, aided by his walker.  We watched his birthday celebrations, surrounded by thousands of cards sent from around the world.  We watched as Queen Elizabeth II, knighted him at Windsor in July.

By the time his walking campaign closed he had raised about 39 million pounds or in Canadian dollars $68,194,459.00.  

And while Captain Tom was British & was raising money for a British institute, I know he inspired many in this country, in this region.  Seniors all over were taking up the challenge to walk for charity.  He shone a light on what's possible at any age.  

I was one of those sending a birthday card to Captain Tom back in April.  I was one of those shedding a tear yesterday.

Walk on Captain Tom, walk on!






.

9 comments:

  1. He really was an inspiration to us all wasn't he? What an amazing life he had and how proud his family must be. A sad day for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I cried yesterday when I heard the news and the news that the Union flag over Downing Street was at half-mast.
    What a gentleman and the absolute epitome of our Greatest Generation - his family must be so, so proud of what he achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't remember him by name, but I think I remember the walking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was an inspiration, and it's particularly saddening that it was Covid-19 that got him :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched an interview with him last night. Very moving. He came across as an amusing person with a quiet, humble attitude to life and a lot of emotional strength. So many interesting (and difficult) experiences. Don't know how he contracted covid and I was so dismayed when I heard.
    (NB. That massive house which he walked in front of was his family home believe it or not.) I didn't realise his story had made it so far overseas but I'm really pleased to hear that others outside the UK also took inspiration from him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, a man of great courage and gentle character - one of the best of us.

    ReplyDelete